Rossi 38 revolver question

bersaguy

I have one, or at least I think it is a 851, and it isn't a bad revolver. I don't know that I would bother to replace it if I were starting over. It currently resides with a family member for shooting pest. To be honest, the fit and finish is not at all bad. There are more than a few reports of them just falling apart on people. I don't know that I would trust it with my life.

I have one, or at least I think it is a 851, and it isn't a bad revolver. I don't know that I would bother to replace it if I were starting over. It currently resides with a family member for shooting pest. To be honest, the fit and finish is not at all bad. There are more than a few reports of them just falling apart on people. I don't know that I would trust it with my life.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was wanting to know. I don't understand why he is even looking at one except a friend of his recommended that he would trust a revolver more than a semi auto for his work. He is an armed Security Guard at a company in Chattanooga. He was close enough to hear all that gun fire a few weeks back when those soldiers were killed and the recruiter office was shot up. He served 2 tours in Afghanistan and he said he knew the sound of the Semi Auto when it first began and thought it was an Ak47. He is now out of the Rangers and back in private life and at present time is carrying an M9 like he trained with and carried while on tour.  I have no clue why this guy is trying to talk him into a revolver................... :shrug: :shrug:

I consider my Rossi a tackle box gun. Not sure of the model. If I just had to replace it I would much rather have a used SW model 10. I bought my Rossi from a coworker for $100. I think that's about what it's worth.

I would be happy to trade Rossi's for as many M9s as the other fellow wants. Edited by VERO1

If scurrying to fund a pistol is a challenge, I would recommend the Rossi, otherwise I would scurry just a little more for a Smith or other comparable product.  To me the M9 is proven and if is good enough for our military, then good enough for me!

Think of the Rossi along the same lines of a new Taurus revolver it might turn out great but most likely you'll havre some reliability issues. So for my 2 cents worth I wouldn't recommed one to someone else. Instead I'd look for a used S&W K frame, Ruger Security Six or GP100.

I haven't owned that gun, but I have owned a Taurus revolver.  I think the new Rossi revolvers all have the Taurus key-lock built into the hammer assembly.  You insert a little key, turn it, and the gun is disabled; the hammer won't move.  

I'm not sure what the purpose is of such a feature, and I never did get comfortable with it.  In my mind, the whole point of a revolver is that you don't have to wonder whether some safety is activated...  You load it, and then whenever you pull the trigger, the thing fires.

I'm not even gonna touch the whole revolver vs. semi-auto thing, but if your grandson is gonna carry a revolver, it ought to be one that doesn't make him constantly question whether hot ammo is going to inadvertently activate his weapon's stupid "safety feature," disabling his gun.  Ruger, Charter, and older Smiths and Tauruses are all available if he wants a regular wheel gun he can rely on - with no weird added "safeties" that can fail on him.

I own some of the best Smith & Wesson revolvers ever made and even carried them as a Police Officer; I love them, they are second to none.

But there is no way I would consider any revolver for one second over my Full Size M&P 40 for a Security Duty Weapon.

I have to assume he looking at them because they are cheap ($275 new). Nope, you can’t touch any of the big boys for anywhere near that. But if he just wants a cheap full size revolver I would suggest he save up another $55 and get the .357Mag model. He’ll get his money back quicker when he sells it.
  • Like 1
I have bought a decent used S&W model 10 for less than $300 OTD in the last year. The issue with carrying a revolver is finding a good triple retention holster for them now; no way would I carry in anything less on duty. No need in even talking about a magnum model because TN will not license to carry magnums as security; he would have to load it with specials. Edited by Patton
His buddy is an idiot. Trade a Beretta 15 rd M9 for a 6 shot Rossi? There's not a chance in hell. I wouldn't trade a semi in for a revolver on a security job anyways, but I definitely wouldn't trade a Beretta for anything less than a Smith or Ruger.

Sent from the backwoods Edited by Spots
  • Like 2
Just piling on to the rest of the members saying that this guy giving advice is a dope.

Stick with the M9 and get a j frame for backup. This really isn't reinventing the wheel any more. Isn't the j frame pretty much the #1 carry revolver in the country? Things get a little less clear when we get into automatics, as we've had something like 3-4 new micro pocket pistols in the last year or so released from the major mfrs.

His buddy doesn't seem all that gun savvy. Could it be that the Security Agency he works for mandates revolvers?

If his employer mandates he have a revolver on duty I would go buy a new/used 4 inch Ruger GP100 and be done with it.

I don't think his employer requires them to pack revolvers. He has been with them over a year now and packed the M9 the entire time. I just think his friend is kinda on the dumb side of guns because he also works there and packs a revolver while on duty. 

• Like 2

I have had Rossi revolvers in both .38 and .357.  Both of mine were the snubnosed models.  I liked them both just fine - but if buying again would just go for the .357 as it is stronger, holds six rounds as opposed to 5 in the .38, etc.  Personally, I prefer revolvers to semi-autos but In your grandson's situation, I would probably continue carrying the gun I was already familiar with and maybe pick up a S&W 642 or similar lightweight j-frame as a backup gun - maybe to carry in an ankle holster, etc.

Edited by JAB
I had a Rossi snub nose also in .38/357.
Went bang every time but when it got hot it became stiff.
I would grade it a few shots above a Charter Arms I once had that wouldn't fire when got hot.

. Edited by kieefer

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was wanting to know. I don't understand why he is even looking at one except a friend of his recommended that he would trust a revolver more than a semi auto for his work. He is an armed Security Guard at a company in Chattanooga. He was close enough to hear all that gun fire a few weeks back when those soldiers were killed and the recruiter office was shot up. He served 2 tours in Afghanistan and he said he knew the sound of the Semi Auto when it first began and thought it was an Ak47. He is now out of the Rangers and back in private life and at present time is carrying an M9 like he trained with and carried while on tour.  I have no clue why this guy is trying to talk him into a revolver................... :shrug: :shrug:

First off, his buddy is clearly an idiot. Why would you pick a revolver over a semi auto for an armed security job? I have nothing against revolvers and I love them , but when you're basically a walking target, why carry less rounds when you dont have to?

Edited by MrShotty
  • 2 weeks later...