I have a question for everyone.

I have a 300 gallon hot tub that could sustain life if need be, and it has an insulated cover that prevents all evaporation.  Our water is very high quality so all I ever need to put in the tub is occasional chlorine, which heat dissipates real fast. While that's happening I can live on the 30 gallon reserve supply in the garage and the 50 gallons in the water heater. We live in the country so there is no need to flush our three toilets - in an shtf situation we would just flush the bushes.

I too need medical supplies.

At the house I'm set for a bit, I have 4 water filters to filter water from the usual household water sources even if they were to become contaminated and I have a 55gl collection barrel outside as well.  I have medical supplies for most any first responder type situations.  Food, well that would depend on the length of said emergency.  My generators can run for a bit with available fuel and I have deer to last longer than that. Wildlife is plentiful for now, and silent means to acquire such.  I would smoke and dry some of the meat to make it last longer.  If the house became undefendable, I have 8 acres to fall back on in a more rural area, its more defendable due to the terrain and surrounded by hundreds of acres full of wildlife and few neighbors who may make for good force multipliers.

sadly the medical stuff I need is not stockpileable... prescription stuff, got a little extra but not enough for a prolonged scenario, and one of the really will be very, very bad without it (wife's).

I lack electricity / generator.   While we have a lot of food, I would hate to lose the frozen section.

I lack portability.  We could live at the house for 2, maybe 3 months, but I am not easily going to be able to go elsewhere.  Like anything else, depends on what happens.  Lose power / water/ city shutdown for a month, I would be fine.   Terminators take over the world, I would not last long crawling around in the woods or ruins.

On the subject of water... For emergency water when other sources are gone, you can also build a condensation trap by digging a hole. Place a can or bucket in bottom of the hole. Then stretch a piece of plastic over the hole and secure the edges to form a "lid" over the hole. Next, place a small rock or something on the center of the plastic above the bucket to create a low spot. As the sun heats up, condensation will form on the underside of the plastic and drip into the bucket. It'd be a slow process, but would keep a person hydrated without any other source of water. Edited by Wingshooter

On the subject of water... For emergency water when other sources are gone, you can also build a condensation trap by digging a hole. Place a can or bucket in bottom of the hole. Then stretch a piece of plastic over the hole and secure the edges to form a "lid" over the hole. Next, place a small rock or something on the center of the plastic above the bucket to create a low spot. As the sun heats up, condensation will form on the underside of the plastic and drip into the bucket. It'd be a slow process, but would keep a person hydrated without any other source of water.

These solar stills work ok here due to the moisture but I've set one of these out before and while it does work, you will not be able to sustain yourself with it unless you make a whole bunch.  Humans need roughly 2.5 to just over 3 L on an average day, in emergencies you could survive with less but of course the more stress (sweat) the more water you will need.  If you had to stay put, I would set these up before running out to see what kind of volume you would get out of it/them.  On the plus side, these catch water rather well so when it rains it does double duty but you have to be ready to swap buckets out to catch as much as possible. 

• Like 1

These solar stills work ok here due to the moisture but I've set one of these out before and while it does work, you will not be able to sustain yourself with it unless you make a whole bunch.  Humans need roughly 2.5 to just over 3 L on an average day, in emergencies you could survive with less but of course the more stress (sweat) the more water you will need.  If you had to stay put, I would set these up before running out to see what kind of volume you would get out of it/them.  On the plus side, these catch water rather well so when it rains it does double duty but you have to be ready to swap buckets out to catch as much as possible. 

The type he describes does not have a hole in the low point. The condensation occurs on the underside of the plastic. So rain would just collect and stay in the plastic itself, so you would have whatever that gives ya.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The type he describes does not have a hole in the low point. The condensation occurs on the underside of the plastic. So rain would just collect and stay in the plastic itself, so you would have whatever that gives ya.

- OS

Right, but if you perforate the low point it collects rain water while still allowing condensation to drip into the container. 

• 2 weeks later...

lotsa cans of beans always works good!

Besides those big blue barrels... has anyone found a good way to store a lot of long term water?  Looking for smaller containers I can use and keep inside easy.  Trying to keep a 3 month supply of everything I need on hand all the time.

I need to refill my propane cylinders. I usually keep 3 of the exchange-type tanks full for the grill, camping stove, lantern or heater as a backup source. We've done a lot of grilling out this summer, and I need to exchange my tanks for full ones. Especially before winter arrives.

I keep several of the small bottles on hand too, but those are secondary to the tanks if I am still at the house. I would be hesitant to use the grill during a crisis though, because the hungries might be attracted to the smell. The camping stove would be great for cooking beans, etc. though.

EDIT: I would also add that I am lacking organization. I have a bunch of stuff and supplies, but It's not organized very well. Plus, if I am away from home, my wife and kids may not be able to utilize everything we have. I need to organize gear and train the family better. Edited by Wingshooter

Like some of you I am reasonably well prepared. I used to be a medic and later a civilian Paramedic and have my medical bag pretty well stocked. We are good for water short term and have a couple of year round fresh water sources close by we could use. But we are lacking in long term (shelf life) food staples. My eldest son and his family live less than a mile away and we have a bug in plan. The big issue and its only for me really is prescription drugs which I can't really stockpile. I'm in remission for my cancer but have some meds for a bad heart valve I must take. I wouldn't last in a long term SHTF situation but my family is healthy and I have 3 adult sons close by with a good plan in place. They are all knowledgeable and experienced guys and could take care of things when I'm gone.

I expect there are lots of folks who depend on meds that will be the first to go. Of course I never thought I would be one of em.

Edited by polecat

Besides those big blue barrels... has anyone found a good way to store a lot of long term water?  Looking for smaller containers I can use and keep inside easy.  Trying to keep a 3 month supply of everything I need on hand all the time.

I use these.  About $15 at walmart. 

Aqua-Tainer-with-BPA.jpg

• Like 1

Besides those big blue barrels... has anyone found a good way to store a lot of long term water?  Looking for smaller containers I can use and keep inside easy.  ...

Can tell you that the 2 liter soda pop bottles are basically "forever" if you keep them out of direct sunlight.

However, the plastic that used for milk will eventually fail.  So will the gallon jugs that are used for, wait for it...bottled water. They will both develop pin holes just sitting in the dark and leak out. Dunno about those uber thin individual 12-16 oz bottles.

- OS

Besides those big blue barrels... has anyone found a good way to store a lot of long term water? Looking for smaller containers I can use and keep inside easy. Trying to keep a 3 month supply of everything I need on hand all the time.

I store my water in two places, in the ground and in the clouds. Between those two places I will always have water.

Plenty of ways to store and source water.

Dew on the grass in the morning is about the easiest way to source water if your night time temps and daytime temps swing enough.

Ammo and neighborhood defense plan.  I live in the burbs, and since moving in I've only identified two houses in the immediate vicinity with actual men.  The rest are occupied by older folks or liberal types.  In the house next door is a couple my age with one young child.  The man of the house doesn't own any firearms despite the wife wanting a pistol in the home.  So yeah, plan is to make the 40 mile journey to the family compound if SHTF in my area if the road conditions allow.  Otherwise I have my work cut out for me.

Food. We had a bunch saved up in the basement. Then my wife and I both unexpectedly lost our jobs and, well I am so thankful we had the food then. We just no longer do. 

Money is coming back slowly, so time to slowly start filling the pantry back up.

Our water storage is pretty sad too. Only about 100 Gallons at best.

We have guns and ammo for days though!

Security...

It won't matter how well / bad you're prepared if you can't protect it. Rioting and looting are bad now, imagine how bad it will be should a major national / global emergency occur, much less if TSHTF. Whatever you have, people are going to deceive themselves thinking they need it much more than you do and try to forcefully take it. 

Purposely living in the country for that potential eventuality has it's pro's and con's. At our age the wife and I wouldn't be able to defend our place having to sleep and other distracting chores on any scale probably. They're are few neighbors around here but with the exception of only one, they are not interested nor capable of much physical activity. Due to the scarcity of warm bodies, there wouldn't be enough manpower for a 24/7 watch, much less any early OP / LP. 

There's not many people on the Tennessee Preppers website living in NW Tn. that I can find. At any rate, I can't foresee myself pulling up stakes and leaving most of my possession here and relocating to an assumed safer location? 

I brought up the subject of prepping to a buddy of mine at the gun club awhile back and asked his thoughts. He said he's not going to plan / prep and "I'll just come over and take yours". I believe that he was at least half serious too!

For water you can almost always get the water you need for the day from your yard very early in the morning. There is generally enough of a temperature change that there should be water somewhat regularly sitting on your yard. I took a towel and dragged it on the ground. That one swipe gave me a lot more water than I could have ever expected. And depending on the time of year it could be raining every other day.

I posted a how to on making your own hand pump for a well. If I can do it anyone can and it works great.

Still the best advice you have ever given me. I was at a buddy's house this morning after the rain last night and water was dripping in his rain barrels for hours. I looked around the trees and grass and it was soaked. 5 years in the military including a SERE fast course, Eagle scout, and 32 years on this planet paranoid that any minute this whole fairy tale was gonna come unglued and I had never thought of that.

Having said that, to respond to the original question, my weakness is bug out (I found out this week) I have an impressive bug in for a novice, one I will fortify and refine over the years to come. But if I needed out in an hour I found myself lacking this week. (We found mold in our house and had to bounce so i tested my theory) i sold my truck for an SUV and man it jacked my plan up.

LESSON OF THE DAY: TEST YOUR PLAN FOR FAILURES!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just a plastic, food safe barrel set under your eves or even out in the open will collect water with ZERO effort. And survival is about economy of motion, do as little as needed to survive. Never empty the barrel and just let is over flow as it rains. You will ALWAYS have at least enough water to survive about a month if you do that. 

All it would need is disinfected and you can do that with some calcium hypochlorite. CH is nothing more than a dry form of bleach so it will last a lot longer than liquid bleach. Liquid bleach turns into salt water within about a year. But with CH you can store it in a cool, dry place and it will last forever. Mix up some with the rain water to dissolve the CH then pour it back into the barrel and let it set for a few hours before drinking. Just make sure you cannot smell a strong bleach smell, it should be about like a pool or less. Which brings me to where you can buy CH. Pool supply stores sell it as a shock or maintenance supplies but make sure it is CH and not some of the other chemicals they use in pools. Some of it can be very dangerous if you are not careful.

Or use something every prepper or survivalist should have which is a way to filter water to remove pathogens.

BTW, the military uses CH to make their water potable.

And finally the sun will also disinfect the water, as long as it is clear. Place the water in a clear container, it can be plastic or glass, and set it out in the sun. The natural UV light will pass through the containers killing all pathogens in about 8 hours. No need for chemicals, filters or anything else so long as you have time to let the water "cook".

I really need to talk to a few neighbors about all of this but I am afraid they are going to think I am a nut case.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...