Trijicon has dropped a bomb on Aimpoint...

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=MRO

Street price is going to be around 5 bills with mount...

5-year battery life at medium setting, NV compatible, fully waterproof, 2 MOA dot, made in the USA.

If this has typical Trijicon quality, the T1 and pricey new T2 Micro is in serious trouble.

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1

Never got into the micro dot craze, but I can see how this will eat into Aimpoint if the price is $150-200 lower.  Good move by Trijicon.

Micro Dot craze? Does that mean you just run irons?

Seems most pros will agree having a red dot is the fastest way to acquire a target.

Micro Dot craze? Does that mean you just run irons?

Seems most pros will agree having a red dot is the fastest way to acquire a target.

I meant the actual micro dot styles like the Aimpoint H or T series, and the Primary Arms version.  Far as I'm concerned the standard size red dots work just fine and never felt the need to spend more just to have a smaller sight.  The weight difference is negligible, and I don't use a magnifier so the rail space isn't an issue.

I'm all about a red dot, though.  I had an M68 (Aimpoint M2) on my M4 in the Army, and I have an EoTech 516 on my SBR.  Both of those are good enough for me.  If I buy another one, it will probably be an Aimpoint PRO- best overall value to quality I've seen yet.

I meant the actual micro dot styles like the Aimpoint H or T series, and the Primary Arms version. Far as I'm concerned the standard size red dots work just fine and never felt the need to spend more just to have a smaller sight. The weight difference is negligible, and I don't use a magnifier so the rail space isn't an issue.

I'm all about a red dot, though. I had an M68 (Aimpoint M2) on my M4 in the Army, and I have an EoTech 516 on my SBR. Both of those are good enough for me. If I buy another one, it will probably be an Aimpoint PRO- best overall value to quality I've seen yet.

I've noticed the PRO's have dropped in price too. I saw one the other day on sale for 390 something. Seem to be able to find them pretty regularly in the low 400 range as well.
I've got 4 PRO's. They are excellent but weighty on smaller guns. I'll be getting 1-2MRO's for SBR and AR pistol use. Just never could justify the $600+ for a h1 or t1. The MRO is showing up for pre-order with the 1/3 mount for $432.

If they work, they work, but they are very silly looking. All those micro dot things are.

Good review mcordell...Caster, I agree a little with you. I especially don't like the mount for this one compared to my Larue Aimpoint. That thing is tough. This looks like it could get hung on gear since its not flush. I hope Larue does a mount for this thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got a chance to look though (but not shoot, unfortunately) a couple of production examples this weekend at the Pro-Am.  Good stuff, from what I could tell.  It looked like pretty typical Trijicon optical and build quality.  The dot was super clean at all brightness levels, and it just exuded that Trijicon "toughness".  The Trjicon rep (who was also an optics vendor) did indeed confirm that they are going to sell for right at $550 WITH a mount.  :rock:

I actually hope they offer a 4 MOA dot version as well.

• 2 months later...

They can keep it, not because I would not like it but because of business practices. Never have owned one and never will.

Care to elaborate?

Only thing I'm aware of is they had biblical scripture codes on their products and they told the government to pound sand when they told them they had to remove them from military gear. Trijicon didn't take any government grants to develop their optics or other products, they did the R&D on their own dime, the government just thought it was a good product so they bought it for the military. Government had no right to make them remove it so they didn't. Their response was if you don't like our product, don't buy it.
  • Like 2

I know a guy. I have bought optics from him as well as talk to him about the patent process as he had several. We have talked about a half dozen times. He liked guns and scopes and I liked guns and scopes so we normally spent some time on the phone. He was a fireman and because I had done business with him I trusted what he was saying. I will say the last time I talked to him was probably six years ago so who knows maybe what he told me then is not true today, a lot can change in six years.

Anyways, one of his patents was for a horseshoe reticle inside a scope. He was unable to manufacture scopes himself so he went to several scope makers with the reticle. All but one, Burris, turned down his offer to license his reticle. Later several manufacturers began making scopes with the horseshoe reticle like he had shown them. He went to Trijicon and offered to license it to them and he said Trijicon basically laughed him off the property. Knowing he wasn't going to get anything more out of the various manufactures he began making his own scopes with the horse shoe reticle.

Pretty sure he also said he also holds, or held, the patent for the sling plate for use with slings on ARs.

I know a guy. I have bought optics from him as well as talk to him about the patent process as he had several. We have talked about a half dozen times. He liked guns and scopes and I liked guns and scopes so we normally spent some time on the phone. He was a fireman and because I had done business with him I trusted what he was saying. I will say the last time I talked to him was probably six years ago so who knows maybe what he told me then is not true today, a lot can change in six years.

Anyways, one of his patents was for a horseshoe reticle inside a scope. He was unable to manufacture scopes himself so he went to several scope makers with the reticle. All but one, Burris, turned down his offer to license his reticle. Later several manufacturers began making scopes with the horseshoe reticle like he had shown them. He went to Trijicon and offered to license it to them and he said Trijicon basically laughed him off the property. Knowing he wasn't going to get anything more out of the various manufactures he began making his own scopes with the horse shoe reticle.

Pretty sure he also said he also holds, or held, the patent for the sling plate for use with slings on ARs.

If he had the patent before he approached all the scope manufacturers, which he should have, he should be able to very easily sue them for patent infringement, correct?

I do agree that is some shady business practices.

If he had the patent before he approached all the scope manufacturers, which he should have, he should be able to very easily sue them for patent infringement, correct?

I do agree that is some shady business practices.

He was a fireman and made it sound like he could not afford to take them on, at least not when I talked to him. People get screwed every day by someone who is bigger or stronger. Happened to him and it forced him to start making his own scopes.

He was a fireman and made it sound like he could not afford to take them on, at least not when I talked to him. People get screwed every day by someone who is bigger or stronger. Happened to him and it forced him to start making his own scopes.

I agree that sucks if it's true. Really his only recourse is litigation with a good patent attorney. Some may have taken on his case free if they thought it was a slam dunk, but maybe it's hard to defend the patent of a shape (e.g. a horseshoe in this case).

Anyway, if this site is all its cracked up to be I wouldn't mind saving a few hundred bucks over the Aimpoint equivalent. Edited by MrJones79