Remaining Govt Inventory of 1911's to be Sold to the Public?

Ran into this article the other day.  Looks promising.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/remaining-government-stock-of-wwii-m1911s-handguns-to-be-sold-off-to-the-public.html

The upcoming National Defense Authorization Act that passed committee includes a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP 1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Added as an amendment by Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, it could see potentially the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era handguns in government hands sold to the public.

• 1 month later...
Just saw this for anyone who is interested

10/08/15  An update on the 1911’s…IT HAS PASSED THE SENATE!

The legislation has passed both the House and Senate. It will now head to the President’s desk for signature. If signed, we will meet with Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers.

Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
  • Like 1

Reminiscent of the scads of Korean m1 carbines that were supposed to hit the market some time back. Anybody seen one?

The Korean M1 Carbines were to be reimported and the best I can remember O did put a stop to back in 2013 by executive order.   On the other hand the 1911's are housed here in the US of A and attached to the NDA Act makes things a little different. 

Edited by MP5Rizzo
The part of the bill changing the CMP's charter to allow the sale of these 1911s is a very small part of the defense bill. I'd be surprised if Obama will be willing to take the flack for vetoing the bill just because of this small amendment...but I've been surprised before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if, and its a big IF, congress manages to pass the necessary legislation, the guns still have to be unpacked, inspected, rated, categorized  and who knows what else by CMP  before being offered for sale. CMP barely has the man power to keep up with the few Garands they still have. 

I figure 5 years minimum before you see any civilian sales. 

I read somewhere last night that he has threatened to veto the last several NDAA bills but eventually signed them all.

Those were all over spending issues, related to either sequestration, or members of the authorization and appropriations committees/subcommittees funding projects in their districts the Defense Department didn't ask for, or wanted cut.  This year the threat is over Republicans wanting to beef up defense spending by putting what is estimated to be an extra $38 billion into the overseas contingency operations fund as a workaround to budget caps currently in place from sequestration.  The Obama administration isn't willing to move away from sequestration until defense and non-defense spending caps are altered in unison.

I doubt the 1911 transfer to the CMP is even a factor in the negotiations unless some district will see a financial bump from it.

• Like 1

Those were all over spending issues, related to either sequestration, or members of the authorization and appropriations committees/subcommittees funding projects in their districts the Defense Department didn't ask for, or wanted cut.  This year the threat is over Republicans wanting to beef up defense spending by putting what is estimated to be an extra $38 billion into the overseas contingency operations fund as a workaround to budget caps currently in place from sequestration.  The Obama administration isn't willing to move away from sequestration until defense and non-defense spending caps are altered in unison.

I doubt the 1911 transfer to the CMP is even a factor in the negotiations unless some district will see a financial bump from it.

That's my take too. It's basically a BHO snit that he can't shove more bucks to the parts of gummit that he favors - if he had his way I imagine the EPA would be as big as the military.

On the other hand, it is indeed an end run around sequestration, which is the "law".

- OS

Didn't Obama just sign an EO demanding that all the Surplus military issued stuff that states received be returned. If he is now demanding all his stuff back why would he sign anything allowing the general public to get their hands on Military 45 1911's......... :squint:

Didn't Obama just sign an EO demanding that all the Surplus military issued stuff that states received be returned. If he is now demanding all his stuff back why would he sign anything allowing the general public to get their hands on Military 45 1911's......... :squint:

Because the defense spending bill is the perfect place to tuck this into.  The defense budget is some of the most politicized legislation in Washington with everything that it touches, and it's a "must pass" every year, because DoD has to have an operating budget to cover the day to day operations at home and abroad. 

So, while transferring surplus pistols to the CMP for resale is something the President, or the DoJ wouldn't like to swallow, it's not worth a veto of the total spending bill in practical or political terms.  The cost amounts to a rounding error in a roughly $500 billion budget that has way too many other top priorities, and it's hard to argue that this is "keeping guns away from criminals" with the controls that CMP uses administers the program, not to mention that the 1911 can only hold less than 10 rounds as they like to tote so frequently.

• Like 1

Here's the latest from CMP:

10/08/15  An update on the 1911’s…IT HAS PASSED THE SENATE!

The legislation has passed both the House and Senate. It will now head to the President’s desk for signature. If signed, we will meet with Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers.

So how long does obama have to veto?

Only the ten days, not counting Sundays. Bill passed on 7th, but there is always some length of time after that before it officially "hits his desk", never have understood exact time for that.

At any rate, if he's gonna veto it, dunno why he wouldn't just do it immediately rather than prolong a cliffhanger, though. "No Drama Obama" indeed.

I believe he can attach a missive to it in explanation when he sends it back, maybe taking him a while for his staff to write it to his satisfaction, who knows.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1