29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Non-Gun Related forum

• I like it, keep it as it is.
    • Remove from the site.
    • Change to Knives, other weapons, gear, & equipment
    • Other - Please post your other

Guest Voodoo_1

RE: Non-Gun Related

A couple of days ago I went through my normal routine of visiting TGO's site as I do at least once a day and most of the time twice a day. The portal said there were 11 new posts so I thought, great new info and comments. Clicked on new post and what a surprise, (10) of the (11) new post were for items that were for sale with the majority being Non-Gun Related. Dogs, trucks, cell phones, etc, etc. I thought I was looking at the on-line classifieds of the Commercial Appeal.

This is with out a doubt my favorite gun site to visit. The people of this site are great and very knowledgeable for such a small upstart gun site. We may not all agree with each other's veiws, but in the end I believe we respect each other and can agree to disagree.

That being said, I believe the Non-Gun Related forum is a black eye to this forum. Put yourself in a new members shoes for a second and think what they may have thought about our forum if they did as I did the other day. They pull up the new post and here are the classifieds. Embarrssing to say the least. They came to this forum to discuss firearms and other self-defense related topics just as I did. I believe this takes away some of the credibility of this great site and turns some people off.

I hope this does not offend anyone because it was not posted with that intent.

Please vote in the poll concearning your thoughts with this matter.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same frustrations when checking for new posts. While I am unwilling to request the removal of non-gun related posts, I do find the "please buy X" posts, particularly from 1st-time or very new members irksome.

Guest Voodoo_1

This poll is set up as a private poll. You will not be identified with your vote. Please vote after viewing. Thanks!

Guest utarch00
Personally, it should be kept to items that are not guns, but just those that are still related to them. Holsters, ammo, knives, weapon-lights, etc. Just my opinion.

That is what the Firearms Parts and Accessories section is for.:)

i personally like having a place where i can quickly buy/sell things from people i "know" it's better than ebay! i understand that it is a gun forum, but it's also a small community. there are plenty of large forums that also trade in other items. i would understand wanting to add another forum for trading "non gun related" items. but if i have a great item to get rid of i would rather it go to one of you guys than some random i don't know :)

Maybe there is a way to make the 'Trading Post' items show up separately from the new posts in the main forums?

I think there is some benefit to having an area where various items can be posted... but do concede that if this site were to eventually become flooded with e-bay'esque classifieds, it would detract from the overall appearance of the organization.

That's a tough one... perhaps there needs to be a separate mechanism for posting items for sale, other than a forum thread, which cannot be replied to other than by PM or updated by the seller? I don't know how complicated this site should choose to become. But I agree that in its present state, mass ads could potentially become unreasonable to wade through and view. I don't think that it's anywhere near there yet.

Perhaps Trading Post items should have a time limit, after which the thread will expire and automatically be deleted? Allow the seller to choose between several reasonable time intervals, such as 1 week, 2 weeks, or a month...

I have no problem with the current state of the trading post... just some speculation. Never gave it any thought before this thread.

Guest GlocKingTN

I as well dont see a problem. The only thing I can say about the "non-Gun Related" part, is that if you dont want to read it, dont click on it. The person holding the mouse has the ability to put it anywhere they like. The ones that dont care for the non gun related forum, just simply click somewhere else. I buy and sell and trade alot of things on all the forums I visit. I feel like the forum in question is there for a purpose, and that is to use!

This is my .02, again!

Guest Voodoo_1
Maybe there is a way to make the 'Trading Post' items show up separately from the new posts in the main forums?

I think there is some benefit to having an area where various items can be posted... but do concede that if this site were to eventually become flooded with e-bay'esque classifieds, it would detract from the overall appearance of the organization.

That's a tough one... perhaps there needs to be a separate mechanism for posting items for sale, other than a forum thread, which cannot be replied to other than by PM or updated by the seller? I don't know how complicated this site should choose to become. But I agree that in its present state, mass ads could potentially become unreasonable to wade through and view. I don't think that it's anywhere near there yet.

Perhaps Trading Post items should have a time limit, after which the thread will expire and automatically be deleted? Allow the seller to choose between several reasonable time intervals, such as 1 week, 2 weeks, or a month...

I have no problem with the current state of the trading post... just some speculation. Never gave it any thought before this thread.

Molon,

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. As this forum grows, which I have no doubt it will, this could become a problem with the overall appearance of this organization. I know of no other gun related forums that allow this, and have been a member of most of the big ones.

Your idea of having a seperate area for non-gun related sales is a very good idea, if it can be done. Having these type posts not show up under "New Post" would satisfy any current or future perception of this site. If a member simply wanted to shop for non-gun related items, they could visit that forum and browse away.

I know of no other gun related forums that allow this, and have been a member of most of the big ones.

i'm only an active member of two, xdtalk and TGO, and both of them do it. On xdtalk i've seen nintendos, bikes and even a truck. i'm just not sure why this is such a problem :)