Mega Arms AR15 Pistol Build

JohnC

My fault. I knew "once a rifle always a rifle" but did not know a barrel had to be attached in order for it to be considered so. I knew completed lowers still transferred as "other", guess I was just thinking about in terms of actually putting it together. No reason not to take the stock off and have a pistol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys. I'm enjoying watching your build JohnC.

More to come soon.

I cheap'd out on shipping and went USPS on the rail, so it'll be a bit until that comes in.

Still trying to figure out what caliber, which barrel, bcg, gas block and gas tube to go with, though.

The .300 blk is tempting...

5.56 is just too easy not to do...

6.8 SPC? Not really read up on it yet. Have no clue what mags would work, etc. :shrug:

More to come soon.

I cheap'd out on shipping and went USPS on the rail, so it'll be a bit until that comes in.

Still trying to figure out what caliber, which barrel, bcg, gas block and gas tube to go with, though.

The .300 blk is tempting...

5.56 is just too easy not to do...

6.8 SPC? Not really read up on it yet. Have no clue what mags would work, etc. :shrug:

I did a 10.5 inch .300 blk on a pistol build.  Put down a few hundred pounds of pork with it thus far.  It is now my primary HD weapon.

• Like 1

Curious as to why you liked the Shockwave better than either Sig Brace version?

JohnC curious as to what made the SB15 more appealing to you?

The Vltor option Johnny Rotten mentioned is also intriguing and other than liking it because it solved reliability issues, I'd like to know if it has any other advantage over the Sig Brace or Shockwave.

I've never held nor fired either one, but will be choosing one and ordering, sight unseen, this week.

Choosing the SB15 was (1) For obvious better aiming and control of the weapon and (2) Purely like the looks of it better than the other options out there.

What I didn't know is that the Phase5 aka Sig buffer tube would push the brace back so far. I'm disappointed in the overall length of it. Without a barrel, it's as long as my AK47 pistol which has a 10 inch barrel.

I guess it'll work for now and once I shoot it, I'll like it better. Maybe something better (shorter) will come to market later on. :up:

I would have bought this, but folks have mixed reviews on it reliability wide: http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=2

When I do a SBR down the road, I think I'll run this setup: https://troyind.com/products/pdw-stock-kit-blk

What I didn't know is that the Phase5 aka Sig buffer tube would push the brace back so far. I'm disappointed in the overall length of it. Without a barrel, it's as long as my AK47 pistol which has a 10 inch barrel.

You're really not thinking this through. There's only one reason for having that brace on there.  It's only 1.5" further back than a standard pistol tube alone. Just a dab more than same with rifle with an adjustable stock on it set in first notch. So with a DI type AR, you can only get the thing about 1.5" shorter regardless of what buffer you use, brace or not.

Unless you go with that wacko proprietary short buffer/BCG system, in which case you couldn't use a brace anyway. So if that 1.5" is critical to you, use a standard pistol buffer tube.

It makes no sense to compare the ass end of an AK with the ass end of a direct impingment AR, as they are two different operating systems.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You're really not thinking this through. There's only one reason for having that brace on there.  It's only 1.5" further back than a standard pistol tube alone. Just a dab more than same with rifle with an adjustable stock on it. So with a DI type AR, you can only get the thing about 1.5" shorter regardless of what buffer you use, brace or not.

Unless you go with that wacko proprietary short buffer/BCG system, in which case you couldn't use a brace anyway.

- OS

I'll take that 1.5 inches! That was one of the goals for this build, was to make it as short as possible for portability. So 1.5 inches IMHO is significant. :up:

All Phase5 and Sig had to do was make the hex part of the buffer tube a bit more short and it would have been much better.

I'll take that 1.5 inches! That was one of the goals for this build, was to make it as short as possible for portability. So 1.5 inches IMHO is significant. :up:

All Phase5 and Sig had to do was make the hex part of the buffer tube a bit more short and it would have been much better.

That tube and the KAK are both made for the purpose of making it longer, for one obvious (and according to Mad Max illegal) reason. SIG has nothing to do with, they make the brace.

So get a standard buffer tube, put the brace on it, and shoot it with your nose touching the charging handle, eh? Or forget the brace and shoot it with buffer tube alongside cheek.

- OS

edit: or throw another 250 clams at it and use LAW folding adapter is you want to cut down carry length while leaving everything else as it is.

Edited by Oh Shoot

Curious as to why you liked the Shockwave better than either Sig Brace version?

JohnC curious as to what made the SB15 more appealing to you?

The Vltor option Johnny Rotten mentioned is also intriguing and other than liking it because it solved reliability issues, I'd like to know if it has any other advantage over the Sig Brace or Shockwave.

I've never held nor fired either one, but will be choosing one and ordering, sight unseen, this week.

The Shockwave is SUPER light compared to the Sig brace. The Shockwave is also a lot thinner, probably 1/2 as thin as the Sig brace. The Shockwave is hard plastic, not some soft or flimsy stock. And did I mention it is about 1/3 the price of the Sig as well.It shoots so much better than the Sig brace as well. And those statements apply to all of the braces, SB15, SB47 or the SBX. All of those feel like a cheap work around compared to the Shockwave. The Shockwave is probably the best for my AK setup. It sure as hell is better than any Sig product.

The Shockwave is an excellent product. If anyone local to me wants to check it out you are more than welcome to. It really is a lot better than anything Sig has made and is evidenced by Sig suing Shockwave because Sig is old news, selling an old product that is not very good at anything.

I was shopping for buffer tubes last night at KAK and ran across their package deal for the Shockwave, buffer tube, buffer, spring and castle nut all for $93, so I ordered it.
At $101 to my door, I figured it was worth a try. I read several reviews first, that included pictures of the view when looking from the end of the brace toward the end of the barrel. Having never seen it or the sig-brace in person, the Shockwave looked more like a normal stock in that view, although it didn't look as soft on the cheek as the sig brace may be.
I did like the fact that it could be extended, as needed to achieve a normal LOP, and then locked in place with the set-screw. It was purported to be very ridged and to maintain its rigidity while firing the pistol. Thought it was funny that is has slots for Velcro and whatever style straps, but doesn't even ship with them.

Nice! Let me know how you like it! :up:

It's not installed yet. I just place it against the receiver. :lol:

I'm waiting on a barrel to come in and then I'll install it.

I just pulled it out of the safe, I was wrong mine is a 10" DD and the flange was spot welded to the rail, not the upper.

Don't know if you noticed last time we shot I was adjusting a SLR gas block on it.....That gas block is sweet.

IMG_20150912_162400648_zpsjwpvyxyx.jpg

• Like 1

I just pulled it out of the safe, I was wrong mine is a 10" DD and the flange was spot welded to the rail, not the upper.
Don't know if you noticed last time we shot I was adjusting a SLR gas block on it.....That gas block is sweet.

IMG_20150912_162400648_zpsjwpvyxyx.jpg

Which specific gas block are you running? http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57

I'm still working on figuring out my gas system and bolt. Not sure if I want to go piston, or impingement. But it will be a 7.5 inch barrel.