Dad Gift

SupaRice

So my dad calls me yesterday and says "I'm going to drop something by your house" and stops by while I'm at work and leaves this with the wife for me:

New in the box Weatherby Mark V he bought back in the 80's. Never fired.

He's had some significant health setbacks this past year, so he's thinking about things like this more now.

I put it in the back of the safe, so maybe one day one of my sons will get it... never fired... in it's original box....... MAYBE!  =)

QUESTION THOUGH: I've never had anything this pretty before, do you guys think a silicone gun sock will hurt the finish? I put it in one so that it maybe doesn't get bumped in the safe.... it's tight in there.

20150824_213059_zpsvjchdzmd.jpg

2199aea9-3933-48b0-8123-4b79ae8b92b3_zps

20150824_214400_zpsmnlcfpgs.jpg

Edited by SupaRice
  • Like 4

Very Nice.  I have to say, I have always been intrigued by some of the Weatherby's, but never bought one.

And yep, put a light coat of RIG on it and put it in the sock.  A trick taught to me by a friend is to use a shaving brush to get it into all of the little cracks, trigger guard, etc.   Take it out once a year and give it another light coat and you will be good.  I have actually let mine go probably closer to 2 years at times with no issues.  My safe is also in a climate controlled area with a hydroabsorbant dehumidifier in it, so it really doesn't get a lot of chance to get moisture anyway.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

OMGoodnes!!! That is awesome! So very sorry that's the reason for the "gifting" but thoughts of age do come along for us. (It's been on my mind latelyas well.)

Yes...use the silicone gun socks. I'm trying to put everything I have in them. pistols as well as long guns. It's a small price to pay for keeping our treasures in good shape.

Thanks guys, I've never owned a "pretty" rifle... most of mine are more in the "tool" category. I'm actually nervous handling it!

It's a .270 Weatherby Mag... Don't know much about that round, but it seems like a hot load from what I'm reading!

Thanks guys, I've never owned a "pretty" rifle... most of mine are more in the "tool" category. I'm actually nervous handling it!

It's a .270 Weatherby Mag... Don't know much about that round, but it seems like a hot load from what I'm reading!

.270 Weatherby Mag is a great round.  It will pretty much take anything walking in North America.

That’s beautiful. I sure wish they made those stocks at a reasonable price today. I would take those over the plastic and laminate crap we have today.

I would shoot that and strip it at least once a year. Like anything else it needs attention and leaving it set without proper cleaning and lube is not good.
Thanks guys, I'm pretty swelled up on it. Good point on the box, I did put it in a safe place. However it is deteriorating, seems it has oil on it or something that is eating the cardboard up. It also came with ( a wadded up =/ ) test shot target paper. Not sure the best way to keep the box in good shape.... thoughts?

Also, is Weatherby the only ones that make ammo for this thing?! I can't seem to find it anywhere else Cabelas.com has a box at $83! Wowzers

Wow... so nice... That is how dads get to immortality. Not because he gave you a cool thing but because you will think of him and smile every single time you see the gun or even the box...

As far as Weatherby ammo expense, Percentage wise I will bet Weatherby has inspired as many reloaders as any single brand...

As cool as unfired guns are I would be hard pressed not to spend a few minutes every year on his birthday touching a few off. You may not ever do anything else with the gun but it would be a great way to create a shared memory even if he doesn't pull the trigger himself. Do it this year even if his birthday has already passed and then promise each other you are going to do it again same time next year. Renew that promise every year...

Mark

PS: Midway USA has 270 Weatherby Magnum ammo by Weatherby, Nosler and Norma.

Edited by Mark A
  • Like 2

Wow... so nice... That is how dads get to immortality. Not because he gave you a cool thing but because you will think of him and smile every single time you see the gun or even the box...

As far as Weatherby ammo expense, Percentage wise I will bet Weatherby has inspired as many reloaders as any single brand...

As cool as unfired guns are I would be hard pressed not to spend a few minutes every year on his birthday touching a few off. You may not ever do anything else with the gun but it would be a great way to create a shared memory even if he doesn't pull the trigger himself. Do it this year even if his birthday has already passed and then promise each other you are going to do it again same time next year. Renew that promise every year...

Mark

PS: Midway USA has 270 Weatherby Magnum ammo by Weatherby, Nosler and Norma.

A tradition such as this is why rifles are passed down in the first place. Watching you shoot it and hearing how much you love it every year will fill him with more pride than you know.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty swelled up on it. Good point on the box, I did put it in a safe place. However it is deteriorating, seems it has oil on it or something that is eating the cardboard up. It also came with ( a wadded up =/ ) test shot target paper. Not sure the best way to keep the box in good shape.... thoughts?

Also, is Weatherby the only ones that make ammo for this thing?! I can't seem to find it anywhere else Cabelas.com has a box at $83! Wowzers

You reload, or just sweat and shell out the cabbage.

As for the box, just put it in a dry place and don't bother it I guess.