RIP HUMVEE

The humvee was a good, mobile troop carrier for state side use with really bad gas mileage, which we took to combat with no armor on them. It was a death trap even when it was armored and I am glad to see it gone. This new vehicle seems like a lighter version of the M-ATV which is the crapiest of the MRAP family, one that provided the least protection when hit by a taliban IED. So, even though this provides better protection than the humvee, and seems like it has a V-hull, it is not as mobile as the humvee and does not provide the protection of a proper MRAP, plus I bet it has really crappy gas milage.

The humvee was a good, mobile troop carrier for state side use with really bad gas mileage, which we took to combat with no armor on them. It was a death trap even when it was armored and I am glad to see it gone. This new vehicle seems like a lighter version of the M-ATV which is the crapiest of the MRAP family, one that provided the least protection when hit by a taliban IED. So, even though this provides better protection than the humvee, and seems like it has a V-hull, it is not as mobile as the humvee and does not provide the protection of a proper MRAP, plus I bet it has really crappy gas milage.

I was fine with the light skinned HMMWV as it was a great fit for what it was designed for.   It's when we started making ourselves an easy target for IED's that the need for the mass production of uparmored versions came into play.  With that came a lot of safety risks and issues with the aforementioned gas mileage drop, but that was the trade off for the increased protection from SAF, IDF, and IED's to a degree.  Once the EFP came around, the MRAP was needed, and that wasn't enough sometimes, as I knew a medic who was lost when the MRAP she was in got hit with one.

The biggest issue I see with this new vehicle is wondering if it's too big for utility use.  My last deployment to Iraq, we couldn't use MRAP's because the area had too many narrow canal roads that the MRAP just wasn't able to navigate.  The bigger the vehicle, the more your vunerablilities in manuaver come into play.  I'm also wondering how much of a maintence headache this thing will be.  It'll also be a nightmare if it requires as much contract support as the MRAP did.

For personal use, yes. But in the military they were too small, got stuck everywhere and we're so slow off road they held up our convoys on a regular basis.

Then you add 5000 pounds of armor on top of what they were designed to handle and it was like driving a hot mess.

I actually really like Oshkosh's trucks...

Ive ridden around in many MATVs and MAXXPROS...I prefer the Maxxpro to be totally honest...beats the hell out of RG31s/RG33s.

One day Big Army will get it...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The Maxxpros are by far the best. Our RG31 took a gnarly blast so I won't completely discredit it but they drive like a bus. That Maxxpro is like rolling around in an Escalade. All the bells and whistles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The MATV is cool but Hajji figured out why EFP it when you can throw 100 pounds of HANFO

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Nothing like the gov't rolling out a $100 million project that took an uneducated, dirt worshipping caveman a month to figure out a way to destroy it with 40 lbs of HME. Even with the UIK upgrade and the rpg net those things are death traps.

If I had the choice of a HMMWV for a farm truck or whatever you would use it for for civilian purposes I'd save the $$$ and put a turret on a Polaris or an old Jeep. Especially an old GI one...

Buying a vehicle assigned to an 19 year old PVT for 10 years is like buying a rent-a-car or marrying a hooker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

For personal use, yes. But in the military they were too small, got stuck everywhere and we're so slow off road they held up our convoys on a regular basis.

Then you add 5000 pounds of armor on top of what they were designed to handle and it was like driving a hot mess.

Look at this way, everyone loves jeeps, the Humvee replaced a jeep, it was so different when it came out in 1985 the technology was light years ahead of what it replaced. Not sure why you say there slow a current M1145 will do 70+mph that's a 13,000# truck, what else is faster? The reason I know the MPH is I'll drop into convoy's on the interstate and I'll interact with the soldiers driving my H1, it's always been a thumbs up experience both ways, during one of my convoy encounters I rolled up to a single M1145 and pulled up along side of him and that soldier gave me the lets race face, needless to say he lost..LOL..

The JLTV is a awesome looking machine and I'm sad AM General lost there contract to build the next gen Humvee..

But I have to ask can a JLTV do this:

https://youtu.be/mIIpVjcRpCA

OR

mhylrmm1n52ixhxnlugh_zpsxsdektn5.jpg

OR

image_zps74e237c5.jpg

I think not

Edited by Johnny Rotten

Look at this way, everyone loves jeeps, the Humvee replaced a jeep, it was so different when it came out in 1985 the technology was light years ahead of what it replaced. Not sure why you say there slow a current M1145 will do 70+mph that's a 13,000# truck, what else is faster? The reason I know the MPH is I'll drop into convoy's on the interstate and I'll interact with the soldiers driving my H1, it's always been a thumbs up experience both ways, during one of my convoy encounters I rolled up to a single M1145 and pulled up along side of him and that soldier gave me the lets race face, needless to say he lost..LOL..

The JLTV is a awesome looking machine and I'm sad AM General lost there contract to build the next gen Humvee..

But I have to ask can a JLTV do this:

I think not

Off-road our tanks would run over 40mph with the limiter and around 60mph without it on.  The humvee's couldn't even drive 15 or 20mph through fields to run supplies back in forth.   Every time someone says how awesome they are, I share this photo of my friend that got stuck in a few inches of mud.  He was bringing us breakfast and couldn't even make it across an empty field.

PIC00006.jpg

That new oshkosh has massive clearance, bigger tires, better power and I'm sure better 4wd.  Going 70mph down a highway is irrelevant if you can't drive through a foot of mud off the road, because that's where it matters with the military.  The humvee could still serve a purpose as like a mail truck or food truck or something on base, but they really suck when your life depends on supplies being able to get in and out to you in the field.

Every deployment we done when it rained, we would end up towing humvee's out of the mud at least once a day... Now if you were injured and needed evac'd, would you rather have a humvee show up or a JLTV?  I'll take the latter.

Edited by Sam1

20yrd to the right would have = breakfast on time.  

Notice the chain laying on the hood?  He got stuck about 10 yards before that and we pulled him out, hadn't even had time to get somewhere and put the chain up yet.