Who owns or has shot a Rossi Ranch Hand?

Mykltn

I've been thinking about getting a Rossi Ranch Hand and wanted to get some first hand opinions from people who own and have shot them. What are the pros and cons your reasons for pick the caliber you did. Thanks in advance. Edited by Mykltn
I shot one once. A buddy brought it to the range. 44mag. It was a blast and a change of pace to most of the guns we had. If you are a collector and just like owning different guns, I'd say go for it. If you are just starting our or want one for a very practical use...your money could probably be spent elsewhere. One day I'll impulsively buy one I'm sure. If I do I'll go 45LC. I have other platforms in 45lc and 44mag, i just figure a little cowboy lookin gun should have a cowboy cartridge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have a 454 Rossi rifle. The Rossi lever rifles have a reputation of jamming. Mine did. I had to dissemble the rifle, stone it and clean it up. They are put together rough. Test the rifle with dummy ammo before you buy it.  

I have a Rossi M92 in .357 with a 16" barrel. Biggest complaint is that the loading gate seems a bit short for the length of the magnum cases. Haven't had any jams, but receiver is a little clunky cycling the magnums as well. Other than that, first time at the range I was hitting 3" groups at 100 yds with iron sights. Most enjoyable.

I don’t have one and have never shot one, but when they came out I thought I might try one. I never did as I can’t see any advantage over a .357 revolver. They appear to be a novelty item.

Yep, I've actually shot one, and it confirmed my initial opinion that it's about as worthless a config as a feller could come up with -- retaining no advantages of a pistol or a rifle with the level action platform.  There's really no way to hold the thing with one or both hands that is more conducive for accuracy than a six inch conventional revolver.

Other "rifle pistols", like AR/AK pistols or Ruger Charger, have same drawbacks as far as actual size for a "handgun", but have saving graces for accuracy like buffer tube, one point sling, bipod, whatever, not to mention the "illegal" braces. Also not to mention the semi-auto function.

Plus with AR/AK pistols you have a true high velocity rifle caliber in a short package. Not that .45 colt or .357 mag are wimps by any means, but you can get that firepower in an actual conventional pistol that will deliver same accuracy at the least, and of course spit them out a helluva lot faster than lever action.

Of course, none of that should deter ya if you want one -- firearm fun ain't always about ultimate practicality. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Hmmm. I thought all of the "Mares Leg" handguns were more about the cool or fun factor than any practicality and as such more of a "big boy toy". If so then it's all about making some noise at the range and friends having fun then fine marksmanship or high end reliability. Safety, yes, expectation of perfect performance in a bastard design though is a bit of a reach.
Well I traded for a Ranch Hand in 45lc. I already don't like the sights so I'm going to order a new set. I've ran a set of 45lc snap caps through it several times and it seems to load, feed and eject perfectly. I've even got it to feed and eject while spinning it like John Wayne. (A move only preformed with snap caps. I've got no desire to put a hole in my foot or my head.) After I get the new sights I'll take it to the range and see what kind if accuracy I can get out of it. I think I'll make a shoulder scabbard for it also. If nothing else it should make a neat pack gun. Or at least keep me entertained with tinkering with it for a few years. Lol.

Today I will be shipping a Ranch Hand back to Rossi (Taurus) for repairs.  The firearm cycles correctly with 357 ammo, but NOT with 38's.  When the lever is moved fully forward to start the loading cycle (from magazine to carrier), TWO (2) 38 Special rounds are released from the magazine.  This immediately ties up the action.  The firearm came to us loaded and with the lever forward, bolt to the rear.  I removed the magazine plug, spring and follower, then all ammo from the firearm.  (I still have trouble referring to the Ranch Hand as a "pistol".)  A quick call to Rossi and they agreed to repair the pistol.  This is the only time I have found issues with the Rossi '92 clone.

I own a very early Rossi '92 (38/357) with the short Trapper length barrel.  It has never given me any problems other than begging to go back to the range or field for more fun.

Stumpy

I have one in 44 mag ... I bought it as a piece to collect ; not as a practical purchase. by design, it shoots best from the hip, it doesn't shoulder well ... I drilled and taped the lever and installed a 1 inch bolt to be run up to engage the trigger each time it's cycled ( like the Rifleman ) .... It can be backed out to fire normally .... I had a custom made holster and bandelora rig to carry it diagonally across the front of my body as it's too long to draw from the hip .... I removed the front sight to aid in getting in/out of the holster .... It's a blast to shoot as cowboy action shooter .... But no practical purpose other than collecting/cowboy action