Bye Bye Bersa

none

Ok so I no longer own a Bersa 380 CC. After if failed out of the box and 8 weeks of waiting for repairs to be done. I decided although it functioned fine after I got it back.( Noting that Bersa honored their warranty with out question) I could not get past the mental block that it broke on the first use. So now I don't have a .380 but still have a boat load of ammo and a need for a bug.

Right now I am considering a Sig Saucer or Beretta Pico any one have any experience with them or any other model that might fit the bill for ankle carry?

Thanks Edited by wcd

Ok so I no longed own a Bersa 380 CC. After if failed out of the box and 8 weeks of waiting for repairs to be done. I decided although it functioned fine after I got it back.( Noting that Bersa honored their warranty with out question) I could not get past the mental block that it broke on the first use. So now I don't have a .380 but still have a boat load of ammo and a need for a bug. Right now I am considering a Sig Saucer or Beretta Pico any one have any experience with them or any other model that might fit the bill for ankle carry? Thanks

What a bersa reminds me of is a Makarov.  There are 380 maks, just make sure about the caliber.   A more reliable and accurate gun is difficult to find.   Heavy, with a da/sa setup, not for everyone, but well made.

I hate my nano, which is the pico in 9mm (similar design, anyway).  Trigger is horrid.  I keep it cause its left hand friendly and a good throwaway gun for beating around where it might be damaged.  

I love my sig 238.  It is an awesome gun.  My absolute favorite 380.

The sig will be good for ankle, its lightweight and small.  Pico too, but I don't like it.  And there are like 20 copies of the kel tech DAO 380 which is tiny and light... LCP, etc are all the same thing there.

Edited by Jonnin

I think my dad has owned every compact .380 on the market and swears by the Sig.  I was very disappointed with the Glock 42, I really wanted to like it but found it to be too big for my liking for a .380.  IMO the advantage of a .380 is its size and the 42 doesn't cut it.

For its size and utility the Ruger LCP which realisticaly is a bit nicer iteration of the equally nice KT P3AT. Absent this one I'd go with the Glock 42 which while larger is also easier to shoot a lot of rounds through then the LCP. I do lke the Pico but would still stay with the Glock. Now that the 380 ACP's been covered I'm going to point out that the 9mmP G-43 is only fractionally larger then the 380ACP G-42 so that's another consideration.

The only 380s I've had were a Bersa, which I sold, and an LCP, which I still have. I like the LCP, and I would think it would be more ammendible to ankle carry than the sig. I've shot the sig, and without knowing the specs on the gun, I would say it is heavier and thicker than the LCP. The sig may be more pleasant on the range, but a good range gun does not make it a better carry gun. Edited by dats82
I have owned the SIG 238 (actually a few) if you like the 1911 style type of guns (single action) you will like the SIG. I just did not like the 380 platform. That was the reason I sold them. The Beretta will hurt as will the s&w bodyguard. The trigger on the lcp is long. I haven't shot the Glock so no comment on it other then I just don't like Glocks in general.

Also you could sell the 380 ammo and look at 9mm. I have an lc9s and like it as a carry gun after I removed the magazine safety. Edited by Joe357
  • Like 2

I carry a Sig p238 on my ankle nearly every day.  Works fine for that role...

How is the 238 at the range? Seems like the weight would manage the recoil? What I really need is something that can be shot frequently and not make me regret it when it comes to practice time. Edited by wcd

The Kahr P380 is cream of the crop for the polymer pocket .380s

Agreed. Just better all the way around than my LCP. Of course it cost nearly twice as much. Can't go wrong with the Sig P238 particularly if you like single action. Rohrbaugh makes a nice 380 (and 9), but get ready to open your wallet. For micro carry and quality there's none better than the SeeCamp 380, but it is a b*tch to shoot (and pricey).

How is the 238 at the range? Seems like the weight would manage the recoil? What I really need is something that can be shot frequently and not make me regret it when it comes to practice time.

The recoil is as mild as it can be - you'll hardly notice it at all.  I traded a Ruger LCP to get the Sig - it was like night-and-day when it came to recoil.  I honestly hated taking the LCP to the range; it's not a problem at all with the Sig.

I have owned the SIG 238 (actually a few) if you like the 1911 style type of guns (single action) you will like the SIG. I just did not like the 380 platform. That was the reason I sold them. The Beretta will hurt as will the bodyguard. The trigger on the lcp is long. I haven't shot the Glock so no comment on it other then I just don't like Glocks in general.

Also you could sell the 380 ammo and look at 9mm. I have an lc9s and like it as a carry gun after I removed the magazine safety

I have a 9mm and 45 I don't think I would come close to breaking even on the ammo. So I think I am committed to having a 380. I am not a fan of the ball and bucket sights either.

Just curious why you disconnected the magazine saftey? In a last ditch effort a magazine disconnect could be a life saver.

I should have mentioned that I have the Hogue finger-groove grips on the p238.  I'm sure that also helps with the recoil.  It adds a little to the width of the pistol and might therefore have an impact if you were to pocket carry it, but it's a non-factor on the ankle.

Just curious why you disconnected the magazine saftey? In a last ditch effort a magazine disconnect could be a life saver.

If the magazine falls out of the gun let's say by accident with the magazine safety still in, the gun will not fire even though you have a round in the chamber. By removing the magazine safety the gun will fire without a magazine, if you have a round in the chamber Edited by Joe357

Or perhaps a life ender just sayin....

Anytime I've purchased a gun that happened to have a mag disconnect it was disconnected... Look at almost all auto's and most all do not have this feature....

• Like 3

Or perhaps a life ender just sayin....

Anytime I've purchased a gun that happened to have a mag disconnect it was disconnected... Look at almost all auto's and most all do not have this feature....

Agreed my 1911 does not have a disconnect my 92 is decocker only and no disconnect. But if comes down to using a bug something has gone seriously wrong! I have seen a case where a disconnect made the difference between life and death for an agent.

Not saying they are right for everyone but there is two sides to every fence.

James Bond. Walther PPK.

Or a Sig 232 (still basically James Bond. James Bond!)

Or a Kahr CW380.

Or a Sig P290

Or a Ruger LC380

BTW: I'm not endorsing any of these, just stating that there are a myriad of options.

PS: Have a friend who has a PPK - it's got more than it's fair share of ammo through it and is fun to shoot.

PPS: Plus it's sexy.

PPPS: Also, James Bond.

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS: Though I can't comment on reliability. I wasn't around for all those rounds. Didn't have issues when I shot it .

Caused enough trouble here, I'll see myself out. :hat:

Sorry to hear about the Bersa. I've been a big fan of them since I bought their .380 about 10+ years ago. I know i'll likely get berated for this, but my current mouse gun is the Taurus TCP, and it's great. Never had a misfire, and it's a great size when you absolutely have to stay concealed. That being said, you might consider the Ruger LC9. Almost as small, and you get a boost in ammo size. Edited by djerdl
  • Like 1