Finally bought a Ruger Alaskan

djerdl

As to the holster.... I like it well enough, but I'm considering the Mernickle for crossdraw carry. With the Simply Rugged, crossdraw is far too verticle for me. Strong side carry is perfect,though, so I may just stick with it for now.
Haha, you can use the holster for a cozy when not carrying.

Like the grips!

A friend has been working on some 454 bear loads that shoot cones of fire. We were shooting .357 magnum loads to help us with flinching. LMAO Edited by Tncobra
Not to discourage you from it, but bear in mind, this thing is pretty big. A redhawk in 44 would be a little easier to carry, I would think. The extra bulk would help soak up the recoil, though. So it's a trade off... I was looking hard at a RH backpacker before buying this one. I just had to have the .454.
  • 2 weeks later...
I can honestly say after the range, .454 and wood grips do NOT go together! I had gel pad gloves on, and that was still brutal. I did carry it crossdraw all day while hiking in the GSMNP. It was actually really comfortable. I almost forgot it was there.
  • Like 1

I had fun shooting one of those at the Viola Valley Shooting Range  a few years back.  One of the former regulars had one with his "special" loads and said "Craig shoot my gun why don't you?"  I said sure, knowing this was a set-up.  I told those boys to move back because I was going to show them how double action shooting was supposed to be done.  I did want to see how fast I could get back on target with that beast.  In my estimation quick follow-ups are not the 454 Alaskan's forte - but then that was me shooting. I really like that gun and enjoyed shooting it.

Great CCW gun, shoot bad guy and get the one behind him also. Also in case some angry moose charges you, you are covered for just about everything. :)

Many moons ago I had a Raging Bull in .454, there's definatly a shock wave that travels up your arm through your elbow. I always thought I wouldn't want to shoot it like I would any other handgun, or at least as much because some day I would develope some kind of itis in my wrist and elbow, Magnumitis.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...