Need help making final decision S&w 642 or 640

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

640= steel 23 oz .357 snub 2 in barrel

642= aluminum/steel 15 oz .38 snub 1 7/8 in barrel

For carry.

I know the 640 is more expensive, but I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra money, the weight isn't that big of a deal to me as far as I can tell.

But I do like that the 642 is a tiny bit smaller.

I am aware you can shoot .38s in the 357 and that's all I intend to do.

My question is has anyone shot both of these guns and which did you prefer to shoot?

Does the extra 8 oz on the 357 make much of a difference in recoil enough to make it a more pleasurable shoot during target practice compared to the 642? How much?

Or do you prefer the 642's recoil?

I really appreciate all of your help,I am going to a gun show this weekend and going to look and see if I can find one of these for cheaper than at a shop.

So all of the advice I can get really helps. Thanks!

Edited by TheBadLuckCharm
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've never shot a 640, but I do have a 442, which is basically a black 642. If you're planning on carrying it all day, I can tell you that the weight does make a huge difference in comfort. 8 oz. may not seem like a lot.....until you've had it on for 10-12 hours or more. Believe me, you will feel the difference. The smaller size of the 642 will help it conceal better too. As far as recoil goes....I'd say the heavier gun would help absorb a little more felt recoil.....but personally I think that's a small sacrifice. You can always pick up some different grips that are softer and easier on the hand when shooting at the range....and you could wear a shooting glove which will help too.

I wouldn't get your hopes up of finding a good deal on either gun at a gun show. From what I've heard lately, the gun show vendors are asking more for there guns than the local shops are. Go to BudsGunShop.com and check out their prices.....a good deal at any gun shop would be Bud's price plus the extra $25 that you'd have to pay for the ffl transfer. I believe you can get the 642's from most of our authorized vendors for $399.00, which is a very good price.

Btw, Welcome to TGO!! We have a lot of good people here that are always eager to help with any questions that you have.....or just talk and share ideas, opinions, and information. Enjoy! ;)

Edited by PackinMama
addition
Guest clutepc

I would try guns and leather if your looking for one.

I haven't shot the 640 but I have a 642 you can't beat for the concealment and weight.

It does have a little kick to it but I honestly I never found it distracting or a problem to shoot.

My wife shoots it without any issues.

Guest TheBadLuckCharm
Well, I've never shot a 640, but I do have a 442, which is basically a black 642. If you're planning on carrying it all day, I can tell you that the weight does make a huge difference in comfort. 8 oz. may not seem like a lot.....until you've had it on for 10-12 hours or more. Believe me, you will feel the difference. The smaller size of the 642 will help it conceal better too. As far as recoil goes....I'd say the heavier gun would help absorb a little more felt recoil.....but personally I think that's a small sacrifice. You can always pick up some different grips that are softer and easier on the hand when shooting at the range....and you could wear a shooting glove which will help too.

I wouldn't get your hopes up of finding a good deal on either gun at a gun show. From what I've heard lately, the gun show vendors are asking more for there guns than the local shops are. Go to BudsGunShop.com and check out their prices.....a good deal at any gun shop would be Bud's price plus the extra $25 that you'd have to pay for the ffl transfer. I believe you can get the 642's from most of our authorized vendors for $399.00, which is a very good price.

Btw, Welcome to TGO!! We have a lot of good people here that are always eager to help with any questions that you have.....or just talk and share ideas, opinions, and information. Enjoy! :up:

They showed me the Hogue Monogrip on the 642 but it felt kinda narrow.But she told me it would help a lot with recoil.Do you have a website I can find these shooting gloves?

Thanks! I'm glad to be here! Learning a lot.

Guest clutepc

We have our 642 with the Crimson Trace grips, I changes the grip dramatically which I think is what helps the way it shoots.

My wife had trouble with everything she tried until we tried one with those grips.

Guest TheBadLuckCharm
We have our 642 with the Crimson Trace grips, I changes the grip dramatically which I think is what helps the way it shoots.

My wife had trouble with everything she tried until we tried one with those grips.

I have seen those, one of the guys who ran the shop used it for his cw and had the crimsons and let me hold it, but it takes it up to almost $200 more. Do you know if she tried the monogrip? It covers the back strap, this is what was presented to me at two different shops but it feels kinda narrow?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/mh97124/P3110015.jpg

it's shorter than it looks so most female pinkies are half way off the bottom