Best Pocket Pistol?

Crazy Coot

Pocket Carry with a Thumb Safety?

(1) S & W BG380

(2) SIG P238

(3) SIG P938

(4) BERSA BT380

These come to mind but I'm sure there are several others..... I've had the BG and it carried very nice but I hated the long HEAVY DAO trigger; but I never used the thumb safety as I saw no reason to. I've still got the BT and while it is a bit large for the pocket it can be done; look for the CC version as it is smaller than the Thunder. But I also never bothered with the safety as it is a decocker and can be carried safely hammer down without the safety. Have the 938 and carry it cocked and safety on a lot in a belt holster but when and if I ever pocket carry it I prefer it with hammer down and safety off...

Why are you interested in ONLY thumb safeties?

Edited by teecro
Your choices diminish greatly only with a thumb safety. Consider a Kahr. It has a trigger very similar to a revolver in double action, long and heavy but also very smooth. It's not hard to learn to shoot it well but it will not fire unintentionally. You will most definitely be consciously pulling the trigger for it to fire
  • Like 1

Bersa Thunder is nice if you can handle the reverse direction of the thumb safety. I couldn't and sold mine. It's borderline too big for me to pocket carry.

The Sig P238 is a great little gun. It's a little slippery in my hand. I think I'd change the grips and add the extended magazine with the pinkie extension. I have a small hand and it still feels small in the grip. 

If you're a big guy, you might consider the Taurus Slim 709. 

Oh, and there's the Kimber Solo... 

And to echo nightrunner, my pocket carry is the Kahr PM9.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Bersa Thunder is nice if you can handle the reverse direction of the thumb safety. I couldn't and sold mine. It's borderline too big for me to pocket carry.

Glad I am not the only one that couldn't deal with the reverse saftey on the Bersa.

The Sig P238 seem well built but not for those with large hands. It least the grip was too short for me.

Kahr PM9
Sig 938 <= smallest

Not really. Pretty much tossup overall

Kahr:

Barrel: 3.1"
Length O/A: 5.42"
Height: 4.0"

Slide Width: .90"

SIG:

Overall Length  5.9 in
Overall Height  3.9 in
Overall Width  1.1 in
Barrel Length  3.0 in

- OS

If you really have to have a thumb safety, a Kahr is out. I love my Kahrs, but I don't consider them pocket pistols. I like Seecamps, LCPs and the S&W Bodyguard for pocket carry, but you don't have thumb safeties on all of them. What you do have is long smooth DAO triggers that take some practice to get good with, but are all are great guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN

A properly designed pocket pistol should not have a manual safety.

On the S&W BG380 that was my exact thought that with the long HEAVY DAO trigger that there was absolutely no need for the safety of that gun... Kept a Kel-Tec PF-9 for some time and while it was just a little bigger than the BG380 it is a larger caliber and has a really safe DAO trigger and no wasted safety...

Edited by teecro
Thanks for all the replies. I realize I'm in the minority for wanting a pocket pistol WITH a thumb safety but I know there are options out there. I've carried an LCP in a holster in my pocket but I never felt comfortable with it. Every gun I've ever owned before that gun had a safety so it's my natural instinct to reach for the safety before I shoot. Simply put - I just feel more comfortable with a pocket pistol with a thumb safety.

sig 938 user here.  Hard to beat an easy to use trigger in a small package, thumb safety as requested, had no problems and Ive shot it a lot.  Moderate recoil, mostly due to thin frame vs hand with stout 9s it can get to you after a box or two at one go.   Two minor negatives... it can strip a round ejecting a loaded mag, and the grips really, really need a little locktite :)

Another 938 user here.  After a year I'm happy with the size and weight and recently added the extended magazine.

Lots of 938 users here; that must mean something other than we have good taste in guns..... I've fairly large hands so the only way my 928 feels good in my hand is with the extended mag base as it lets that 2nd finger find a real secure purchase. This gun has been one of my favorite daily OWB carry as in my preferred brand of holster (the Regulator from UBG holsters) I can completely "forget" that it is there as it is both small and light. To which I find it pocket carries quite well when the need arises.

Another 938 user here.  After a year I'm happy with the size and weight and recently added the extended magazine.

Lots of 938 users here; that must mean something other than we have good taste in guns..... I've fairly large hands so the only way my 928 feels good in my hand is with the extended mag base as it lets that 2nd finger find a real secure purchase. This gun has been one of my favorite daily OWB carry as in my preferred brand of holster (the Regulator from UBG holsters) I can completely "forget" that it is there as it is both small and light. To which I find it pocket carries quite well when the need arises.

The Colt Mustang and the Sig P238. Both are basically a miniature 1911 in .380. Same manual of arms as their big brother. 

I recently picked up a Mustang XSP which has a poly frame and stainless slide. Its small, very light and darn near rust proof. This is what I carry on my daily walks. Excellent little gun.

I might also mention that I'm not a fan of pocket carry and I do carry it in a belt holster. 

I carry my Ruger LC9s in my pocket all the time. (Which is saying something since pockets on women's jeans are traditionally smaller than men's). I had an LC9 which I never used the safety on because of the long trigger but with the striker fire I use it. Even with the LaserMax laser guard it's still an easy carry. If I do have pants with pockets that don't accommodate it, the holster I use doubles as an IWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk