building an AR15 costs

tnvols

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering how much would it cost to build a decent AR15? Thanks! ;)

You could spend as little as 650-700ish, depending on where you shop and desired quality.

Price also depends heavily upon what you want on it optics/iron sights wise.

Guest Mugster

With the market in turmoil, its too hard to say. 6 months ago I'd say about $750 would buy you a solid 16" plinker. About $1000-1100 would get you something you could pick off clay pidgeons at 300 yards. Upper's are probably still about the same price (I think). A doublestar 20" free floated tube with a stainless 20" barrel 1 in 8 rules in price/performance.

Some of these guys spend a lot of money on looks and foof. Thats not a bad thing if you have the money to burn, but you don't need it for function. A rifle can look pretty ugly and still shoot straight if the components are pretty good.

If you don't know what your doing, buying an off the shelf 16" plinker is probably your best bet. Learn how to shoot straight, and you'll know what you want component wise.

Yep. Pricing runs as little or as much as you want it to, starting around the $700 range. Just depends how extravagant you want to go with it.

DPMS lower w/parts and Del-Ton Upper will get you around $700. At least it would 2 weeks ago when I started this madness.

Do you want to shoot and admire your creation or do you want bragging rights? Me, I just wanted an AR style rifle to play with. So I went cheap (except getting the flat-top with handle).

Guest GUTTERbOY

I just got done building my first.

$100 for the lower and $550 for a 16" A3 kit from DTI with detachable carry handle. Maybe $675 after you account for tax and such.

Problem right now is that you'll probably have trouble getting your hands on a stripped lower for $100. Probably more in the neighborhood of $150 these days. And, of course, we're talking about a very basic rifle; the only thing resembling an upgrade on mine was the carry handle, which added $75 to the kit price.

I am looking to build mine for just shy of a thousand. However, this is a semi-custom jobber with a MIAD grip, CAA collapsible stock, non-A2 flash hider, a semi-decent upper and barrel, and enough rails to be certifiably tacticool.

Something tells me you can do a lot better than that, for a bare-bones, mark 1 mod 0 model, though.

Guest Jcochran88

the great thing about ar building is you can get in the door for around $650 but that is where the fun starts after seeing what all you can add to these things you can easily spend $1500-$2000 buying different attchments, personaly I went the get in the door and see route myself.

Guest macmonkey

I saw a thread on AR15.com not long ago where the users helped piece together one at like $550 although you get what you pay for.

I'm going to be around $1000 for a great upper and sufficient lower. I've already built the lower. Sometime later I'll invest in a better trigger than the standard DPMS kit that I put in it.

I ordered Nov 8th myself, and yeah.. still waiting.

Was your optioned out very much? Mine was.

Mine was a pretty-stock middy. FYI, you can get on the Del-Ton forum over on arf.com and submit your order number to Del-Ton. They will reply with a status report for you.