Thicker Grips For 1911

none

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thicker than standard grips? There is both a standard and thin grips..... With that being said you could build out easily 1/16" per side by trimming some thin plastic panels to fit under the grips till you find the thickness your looking for then get them custom made. 

Thicker than standard grips? There is both a standard and thin grips..... With that being said you could build out easily 1/16" per side by trimming some thin plastic panels to fit under the grips till you find the thickness your looking for then get them custom made. 

The ones I have were billed as thin grips they are notably thinner than standard grips so I guess standard grips.would actually be thicker than the ones on itnnow.

Thanks

You might want some longer screws too if you don't already have some.

Ok so I did some monkeying around looks like I will need longer screws. I took the standard grips off my standard 1911 and switched them out on my Ruger lightweight CMD. Instant sweet spot. From what I been able to figure out the thinner grips put my thumbs just past the point of where I want them under the safety. I curl my thumbs down versus a high thumb hold and I don't ride the safety.

I guess after carrying a 92G for so many years I became used to the double stack. Granted it took some getting used to a 1911. Once I get some new grips I would have no issue carrying the Ruger off hrs.

I prefer the thin grips. I have this set of what I believe are standard thickness off my 1911, they measure ~.25" thick. I'll trade you or if your looking to keep your thins you can just have these.

I can text or email a picture

Just wondering have you always had the1911 platform? Do you ride the safety? Understanding everyone is different just curious why thinner is your choice.

Thanks

Just wondering have you always had the1911 platform? Do you ride the safety? Understanding everyone is different just curious why thinner is your choice.

Thanks

I have thin grips, a short trigger and am thinking about adding an arched mainspring.  I shoot thumb over safety.  I shoot with an extremely high grip so much so that my Glock 22 slide loves to railroad my hand and I have a permanent mark from my Hi-Power.

I've only been shooting for about ten years, always wanted a 1911 and got a Colt Commander as part of my ever expanding collection.