Man's best friend, asset or liability?

This is pretty much the same as asking if I would keep my wife.  Asset or liability?  What if it came down to a choice between my dog or my wife?

Whoa...good point, mine would be out of the fight first broken nail, but I'd never call her a liability...

...to her face. :hiding:

Edited by BigK
  • Like 6
  • 1 month later...

Maybe if she were younger, but my 14 year old female husky would be nothing but trouble.  Can't see, hear or fight.  Rarely barks at all.  When she was younger there wasn't a dog I'd rather have by my side.  She has been the perfect family protector for many years.  The sight of a husky is often enough to scare away people.  I guess it's the wolf like appearance.  She's no more closer to a wolf than a chihauhau. 

We just had to have our golden retriever put down. Had her since she was 8 weeks, and she was almost 11 got brain cancer that hit out of the blue.

She was an asset in every way. She was almost like a 3rd parent to my 6 kids. Always played with them in the woods, etc. The early warning they can provide would be huge, and if someone tried a home invasion the extra time they could give you would be great.

Plus, they're always an potential food source ;). Had to be the first to say it...

Maybe if she were younger, but my 14 year old female husky would be nothing but trouble.  Can't see, hear or fight.  Rarely barks at all.  When she was younger there wasn't a dog I'd rather have by my side.  She has been the perfect family protector for many years.  The sight of a husky is often enough to scare away people.  I guess it's the wolf like appearance.  She's no more closer to a wolf than a chihauhau. 

Now that both are getting older, I'm not sure which I perfer to spend time with.  The hound is always sleeping and the wife is barking.  The dog seems to maintain his appearance.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the dog John Wayne called "Dog" in the movie, Big Jake. That dog growled softly to alert John Wayne when people were near. That would be perfect in my opinion. My dog is a rotty, and he starts with a growl and quickly transitions to a bark. He's smart but thinks he's an ambush predator, (like a Mountain Lion), but only with squirrels, (he quietly sits at the bottom of the trees staring upwards). He's killed any critter that comes into the back yard and which is too slow to escape him to include squirrels, cats, and even skunks. Surprisingly, he can accomplish killing skunks without getting full-on sprayed. He's very protective of the property but I think that he relies on me to protect him since I'm the alpha. Neither of us have had occasion to test that out, and I'm really ok with that.

So my dog would probably be more of a liability but I don't care because I love him.

We have two dogs and both have their own individual traits that will make them useful.

Our female pit bull is extremely alert to her surroundings. She will bark if there is anything out of the ordinary and this normally gets Gus the bulldog moving. Gus is a bulldog, not English but an Alapaha bulldog, and weighs 100 pounds. He rarely barks but when he does he sounds like he is a 500 pound spawn of Satan but more importantly he ACTS like a 500 pound spawn of Satan when he need to. I also have zero doubts he will give his life to save mine. As long as we are around and not under duress he is a calm, loveable dog towards anyone else.

I can guarantee that anyone hearing Gus would not want to meet him.