Cops fire 84 shots at robbery suspect, hit him once: police

gregintenn

And with a 12 pound trigger they wonder why their officers cannot hit targets.

Hmm. And I recall a certain famous gun writer/instructor who raved about the Glock NYT and combinations therein. Of course what he was gushing about was a heavier trigger pull that eliminated a lot of the Glock trigger sponginess. All this of course being pre Ghost and other like vendor triggers. Gun writers and to a bit of a degree further gun writer-firearms trainers can be disagreeably despicable.

Same thing happened 2 years ago in front of the empire state building when they shot those pedestrians, and the thug with a 1911 was able to maintain 100% accuracy.

you would think they would have learned their lesson by now.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

This is nothing new. I was a police firearms instructor/supervisor for many years and the best explanation I can give for this kind of thing is that gunfire is one of the most contagious things around. The best sound on earth during a gunfight is the sound of your own gun firing, then the guy next to you fires, then the next guy, and so on. Army and Marine officers pull their hair out over their people doing this sort of thing, and it isn't uncommon in combat for the enemy to fire a round or two and an entire platoon will open up until all their ammo is gone and nobody there even knows what they were firing at. It usually happens with inexperienced troops, and in law enforcement you usually don't ever get to be experienced at gunfights.  It's wholly unacceptable to police departments for this to happen, but it happens and you can believe every one of those officers will have to answer questions about what they were firing at and why.

Yes, cops are held to account for where their bullets stop when that is possible. Quite often in cases such as this, the Department will assume that responsibility.

Edited by EssOne

This is nothing new. I was a police firearms instructor/supervisor for many years and the best explanation I can give for this kind of thing is that gunfire is one of the most contagious things around. The best sound on earth during a gunfight is the sound of your own gun firing, then the guy next to you fires, then the next guy, and so on. Army and Marine officers pull their hair out over their people doing this sort of thing, and it isn't uncommon in combat for the enemy to fire a round or two and an entire platoon will open up until all their ammo is gone and nobody there even knows what they were firing at. It usually happens with inexperienced troops, and in law enforcement you usually don't ever get to be experienced at gunfights.  It's wholly unacceptable to police departments for this to happen, but it happens and you can believe every one of those officers will have to answer questions about what they were firing at and why.

Yes, cops are held to account for where their bullets stop when that is possible. Quite often in cases such as this, the Department will assume that responsibility.

Yep, they'll be held accountable and I expect every one of them will be going through some remedial use of force and firearms training fairly quickly as well. I'd also expect that every one of those involved would all do the same thing a year or so from now under similar circumstances. I believe this is more of a problem in larger urban metropolises with large numbers of police officers and violent offenders.  

I understand I'm legally responsible for my bullet until it comes to rest. I don't expect these guys are held to the same standard.

Actually, we are. We're responsible for every projectile fired. 

Not surprising.  NYC doesn't budget much for firing weapons-ammo or paying for time spent.  For that matter most departments only fire once a year to keep accredited.  Anything else is up to the officer on his own time.   

And, unfortunately, this is true as well in most departments. You would think that departments would concentrate MORE on a skill that, while we all hope it never has to be used, that skill can mean the most (whether a good or bad outcome) at the most critical moment. I have known a lot of firearms instructors in departments over the years that, while they themselves might have a high degree of gun handling ability, they only concentrate on getting officers to pass (barely) the most minimum of requirements. It's as if they're proud of their own weapons related skills, but they would sooner be kicked by an angry mule than to pass those skill on to others. Some of us have been trying to change that for years, but we're getting NOWHERE! But, that's a discussion for another thread.