Moon crater glock

Well, here is an update on the G17...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/88355-g17-read-disclamer/

BEFORE SURGERY

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150904_12_28_14_Pro_zpse6962b2a.jpg.html]WP_20150904_12_28_14_Pro_zpse6962b2a.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150904_12_28_03_Pro_zpsea6a7909.jpg.html]WP_20150904_12_28_03_Pro_zpsea6a7909.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150904_12_27_49_Pro_zps101e6705.jpg.html]WP_20150904_12_27_49_Pro_zps101e6705.jpg[/URL]

MEDIA BLASTED THE FINISH.  REVEALED ALL OF THE DAMAGE "MOON CRATERS" IN THE SLIDE.  ALL OF THE BLACK YOU SEE IS WHERE I HAD TO FILL IN.  ONLY WAY TO FIX THE AREAS AROUND THE SERRATIONS WAS TO FILL IT IN COMPLETELY.  SO NO MORE SERRATIONS.

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_18_51_02_Pro_zps3229fb1d.jpg.html]WP_20150905_18_51_02_Pro_zps3229fb1d.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_18_51_07_Pro_zps5518b44a.jpg.html]WP_20150905_18_51_07_Pro_zps5518b44a.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_18_51_14_Pro_zpsebb6289e.jpg.html]WP_20150905_18_51_14_Pro_zpsebb6289e.jpg[/URL]

AFTER SURGERY.  THE FILL INS AROUND THE SERRATIONS ARE NOT PERFECT.  PROBABLY COULD HAVE USED ANOTHER ROUND OF FILL/SANDING, BUT ITS DEFINITELY AN IMPROVEMENT FROM BEFORE.  PLAN ON TAKING IT OUT TOMORROW TO SEE IF IT WILL SPIT OUT 115GR WITHOUT ISSUES.  THEN BACK TO ITS OWNER.

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_21_50_17_Pro_zps5856f8dd.jpg.html]WP_20150905_21_50_17_Pro_zps5856f8dd.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_21_50_32_Pro_zpsc80b60fa.jpg.html]WP_20150905_21_50_32_Pro_zpsc80b60fa.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/sigbrown1297/media/WP_20150905_21_50_44_Pro_zpsdc746540.jpg.html]WP_20150905_21_50_44_Pro_zpsdc746540.jpg[/URL]

Edited by amendment2customcoating
  • Like 1

So you didn't fire it first to confirm a prob?

Does the rail system on lower and slide both look okay?

- OS

yes.  it had problems going into battery but did not really feel sticky. The frame looks okay.  The stripper on the slide is pitted a little and not smooth but wouldn't think that would be the issue.  I cleaned up the inside channels on the slide and when i rack it back and forth it feels nice and smooth.  Will find out tomorrow how she shoots.

Edited by amendment2customcoating

Is a Glock slide coated with something that thick? (Damaged areas) Or did Bubba apply some kind of coating? Steel wouldn’t look like that unless it had been buried or rusted for a very long time? A standard consumer media blaster couldn’t do that to steel.

Your work looks good. What did you use to fill those areas?

But I thought you could drag your Glock on a rope behind your car and it would still fire when needed? confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Is a Glock slide coated with something that thick? (Damaged areas) Or did Bubba apply some kind of coating? Steel wouldn’t look like that unless it had been buried or rusted for a very long time? A standard consumer media blaster couldn’t do that to steel.

Your work looks good. What did you use to fill those areas?

But I thought you could drag your Glock on a rope behind your car and it would still fire when needed? confused.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't know for sure what happened.  Just going off what the previous owners told me.  Yeah, if I had to guess, the slide was probably rusted pretty bad and the holes are from rust pits.  I agree that media blasting a healthy slide wouldn't do that kind of damage.  The indents would be more uniform.  

I just used JB cold weld compound.  Let it cure and sand it down.

You filled in the pitted areas and slide groves with JB Weld, sanded it down and then applied a spray on finish over that? Well, that was certainly an option did you discuss this with a professional machinist or welder?

Not sure if that was a question but yes. That's what I did. You have to understand that the owner purchased this with the understanding that the slide was damaged and that he wasn't going to dump money into getting it fixed. I offered to try to make it look better at no cost and they took me up on the offer. After looking at the damage I told them there wasn't much I could do and the only other option would be to try to have the surface milled down but they would have had to remove a lot of metal. He told me whatever I do would be an improvement so go for it.

From my experience, getting the slide machined is too expensive. I've had slides milled before and even machines shops that do this type of work regularly and have CNC programs already in place, the cost wouldn't be worth it. You could buy a new/used stripped g17 slide for less money if he wanted this to Be back to original state. Edited by amendment2customcoating

From my experience, getting the slide machined is too expensive. I've had slides milled before and even machines shops that do this type of work regularly and have CNC programs already in place, the cost wouldn't be worth it. You could buy a new/used stripped g17 slide for less money if he wanted this to Be back to original state.

Correct. A new slide for a Glock costs about $175. Even through a CNC machine and programs wouldn’t be needed you would be wasting money doing that unless you found a hobbyist to do it. If you welded or build up that area to be machined, you would have to also set it up and check the inside of the slide for warpage and probably would have to address that.

I was just curious as to what you used that would not pop out under use. It sounds like you were straight up with the customer and the price was certainly right.
  • Like 1

Now I simply have to know what happened to that slide.  What I see, for lack of a better term, is some flaking.  No way that was caused by corrosion or an overly ambitious bead blast.  Those larger areas simply look like a layer of something was neatly removed.

This was my gun. It was sent off to have the slide coated in a different color. It was in like new condition when sent off. After the company having it for a extended amount of time and no calls or returned calls I showed up at their door. They said it was not done and refused to give it back. I came back a couple days later with an officer and a lawyer (both friends) and they finally gave me the slide back, it looked like the before pics by op. It took them a long time to fess up , finnaly they said it happened in the stripping process. I dont know if it was a glock defect or not. I could not find anyone who had seen anything like it but they eventually bought me a whole new glock to get me out of their hair.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Correct. A new slide for a Glock costs about $175. Even through a CNC machine and programs wouldn’t be needed you would be wasting money doing that unless you found a hobbyist to do it. If you welded or build up that area to be machined, you would have to also set it up and check the inside of the slide for warpage and probably would have to address that.

I was just curious as to what you used that would not pop out under use. It sounds like you were straight up with the customer and the price was certainly right.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

There's actually nothing wrong with the refinishing job done on the pistol illustrated by the OP. I've seen severe pitting silver soldered and draw filed for an accceptable surface but its labor intensive. To have been feasable in this project would have been a case of the refinisher wanting to do it for the experence. What I don't know and cannot predict is whether the JB Weld will provide a long lasting base, but then again it might.

Sounds like the opportunity cost for a complete fix is the $175 stripped slide. Since that can be purchased at any time, the JB weld fix is a good fix until it demonstrates it's not a good fix. In the meantime, everyone learns something, and $175 is conserved.

Edited by QuietDan

Sounds like the opportunity cost for a complete fix is the $175 stripped slide. Since that can be purchased at any time, the JB weld fix is a good fix until it demonstrates it's not a good fix. In the meantime, everyone learns something, and $175 is conserved.

That's about the size of it. I have an elderly 1911 whose slide was close to have being as bad as the pistol in question here and have had another which was worse. Both were media blasted to provide an overall textured matt base and hot blued. The worst of the metal pitting and such was still visible to a critical eye but overall the slides looked better. I couldn't begin to guess how this would look on the slab-sided flats of a Glock slide.