HELP, New to State and Wanting to Buy first firearm

leprechaun

Hey there,

First off im very sorry if this is in the wrong section which i think it is,

But. ill be moving from NY to TN at Christmas and will be wanting to buy a pistol... to start that is.

What exactly will i have to do to buy one after moving from NY? 

Thank you and God bless.

Hey there,

But. ill be moving from NY to TN at Christmas and will be wanting to buy a pistol... to start that is.

Thank you and God bless.

If buying from a FFL in a store, show ID to confirm TN residency, fill out federal form 4473, pay an extra 10 clams for the background check which usually takes 10 min or less, and unless you have a disqualifying event on your record,  walk out of store with gun.

If buying from an individual, hand him the money and leave with gun. (seller might ask you to see TN driver's license, some won't -- some may ask you if you are legally able to own firearms, some won't - some may even want you to sign bill of sale, most won't).

And don't vote for any Dems, locally or federally and don't ever tell anyone how they do things in NY. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 18

Where in TN are you moving to?  If you are civilian you'll need the docs mentioned by Oh Shoot...TN license, some sort of TN utility bill with your name on it to verify residence in the state.  Transfer paperwork and background check will run you roughly $35 total depending on the FFL.  If you're military you can buy with an out-of-state license as long as you have a utility bill here with your name on it that shows you're a resident and a copy of your orders that assign you to a military installation in the state (Ft Campbell, KY counts because it is located in both KY and TN).

If buying from a FFL in a store, show ID to confirm TN residency, fill out federal form 4473, pay an extra 10 clams for the background check which usually takes 10 min or less, and unless you have a disqualifying event on your record,  walk out of store with gun.

If buying from an individual, hand him the money and leave with gun. (seller might ask you to see TN driver's license, some won't -- some may ask you if you are legally able to own firearms, some won't - some may even want you to sign bill of sale, most won't).

And don't vote for any Dems, locally or federally and don't ever tell anyone how they do things in NY. ;)

- OS

This about covers it. Pay special attention to the last sentence.

This about covers it. Pay special attention to the last sentence.

Don't worry , no chance of voting dem here lol. And if i were happy with the way things are done in Ny id stay there haha. Im moving to Middle Tennessee Nashville/Murfreesboro   area. I've family there.

• Like 1

Hey there,

Thank you and God bless.

pretty much what they said... I would do it slowly, change address, let that get through the system, then buy it.  Saves any potential hassles that could be created if your address is still reading out of state to the system (which you can get fixed if you are in a hurry, but again, its a bit of a hassle).

Expect to bring all sorts of ID to get your new drivers license too.... Old DL, and real birth cert or passport will be needed. Several bills such as power, water gas as well as bank statements etc; note copies printed off the Internet will not due either.

.... Transfer paperwork and background check will run you roughly $35 total depending on the FFL. ..

Just to be clear to OP:

There is no transfer fee to buy from a TN FFL, only the $10 for TICS background check.  Transfer fees are charged for guns bought out of state and shipped to FFL for transfer.

- OS

Just to be clear to OP:

There is no transfer fee to buy from a TN FFL, only the $10 for TICS background check.  Transfer fees are charged for guns bought out of state and shipped to FFL for transfer.

- OS

Or bought too far away to go get it (online purchase) and transferred to another dealer, and you could OPT in to run a person to person buy through a local dealer so the gun and buyer go through the system if you feel something is "off" and want the gun's serial checked.  LIke if I bought from a shop in Bristol online, it would just be easier to have it mailed in and pay a transfer on it. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

- OS

Cannot stress this enough. Forget about everything you know or think about NY after you get here. Anything you think you know about or like about NY will not apply here. We have a very, very nice place to live so don't screw it up by trying to change it to the NY you left.

I have already met on person from NY talking about suing his local government because where he lives is not like the NY he left. I wish we could revoke his travel visa and deport him.

And I do not want to seem so harsh but we are extremely protective of OUR little piece of heaven.

Any idea yet where you are moving to?
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for all the help folks !

Don't know how fast it will take for you to change your DL or something to officially prove you're a citizen of Tennessee and live here. Like Oh Shoot said there's always a private sale, maybe get you an inexpensive shooter, something that will go bang and not break until you are set to buy something nice. No problem possessing one in your home here unless you have a felony or restraining order. There's a few gun stores/ranges in Nashville area that you can rent different handguns to fire and find one that fits your wants and needs instead of guessing.

And welcome to Tennessee.

Also TGO is a good forum to learn about carry laws in Tennessee, there's some good threads to search and smart people to ask if you have a question about them. We have a law here that states that you can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle even if you don't have a handgun carry permit, you just can't wear it on your hip until you get a carry permit. You are also restricted where you can go with it in your car, more so than someone with a carry permit. I haven't thought about it but someone will answer it, as for the "Guns In Cars" law as the media puts it, i'm not 100% sure if that applies to non-residents of the state.

Also one more important thing when buying your first handgun, if you have to shoot a bad guy home invader, it's a known fact that .380 or 9mm will only make them mad but a .45 will knock them off their feet and 10 feet back.   :popcorn: 

"not really" 

Cannot stress this enough. Forget about everything you know or think about NY after you get here. Anything you think you know about or like about NY will not apply here. We have a very, very nice place to live so don't screw it up by trying to change it to the NY you left.

I have already met on person from NY talking about suing his local government because where he lives is not like the NY he left. I wish we could revoke his travel visa and deport him.

And I do not want to seem so harsh but we are extremely protective of OUR little piece of heaven.

Any idea yet where you are moving to?

First off, calm down a little, I don't want to change shit. I was born and raised in Ireland and spent 25 years there living and working on a farm, and hunting. Im a country boy, and love the country life, Don't be so quick jumping to conclusions. 

Ill be moving to the nashville area.

Good for you Leprechaun.

Some of these guys just can't seem to extend a welcome to someone from out of state without implying they should leave their deadly contagion behind so as to not infect Paradise with it. I moved from California and got told a bunch of times to leave my liberal voting habits behind. Liberal my b___ !! I'm about five clicks to the right of Attila the Hun and consider "liberal" to be a bad word. You'd think they'd get the idea sooner or later that it isn't the liberals who are leaving the liberal states and moving to Tennessee - it's the conservatives who can't take the liberal environment any more.

Anyway, you're welcome here and I'll split a pint with you any time. Heck, I'll even buy.

EssOne

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 4

Good for you Leprechaun.

Some of these guys just can't seem to extend a welcome to someone from out of state without implying they should leave their deadly contagion behind so as to not infect Paradise with it. I moved from California and got told a bunch of times to leave my liberal voting habits behind. Liberal my b___ !! I'm about five clicks to the right of Attila the Hun and consider "liberal" to be a bad word. You'd think they'd get the idea sooner or later that it isn't the liberals who are leaving the liberal states and moving to Tennessee - it's the conservatives who can't take the liberal environment any more.

Anyway, you're welcome here and I'll split a pint with you any time. Heck, I'll even buy.

EssOne

Anyone coming here (this forum) probably does not need the "advice" ... agreed.   That does not mean that the retirees are not coming here to live off their millions (sell a home in some of the anti gun places, become instant millionaire) where cost of living is low ... they are.   And they vote.

Anyone coming here (this forum) probably does not need the "advice" ... agreed.   That does not mean that the retirees are not coming here to live off their millions (sell a home in some of the anti gun places, become instant millionaire) where cost of living is low ... they are.   And they vote.

Thats probably true also, Im along way from retiring and a good number of dollars short of it also haha

The only advise I gave him was to study the carry laws and don't buy a weenie 9mm.  :)

But i love 9s haha im thinking either a full size m&p9 or a glock 19........ to start  

Another known fact if it isn't a Glock it just wont work, it will jam all the time and just break after 50 rounds.

We like our gun myths here. 

Now if you ever buy a Ruger revolver you can reload your own ammo with C-4, it will handle it.

• Like 4

Hey there,

Thank you and God bless.

As someone who moved from the Peoples Republic of Maryland and before anyone asked already registered as a Republican.

You can buy a gun pretty quickly if you want to.  The requirement to setup residency is pretty straight forward.  If you have a DL you must replace it with a TN one.  I am not sure what the law says on DL since I wanted to kiss the state of MD goodbye as fast as possible.  I went into closing on the house the 14th of June.  My stuff left my old house in Maryland on the 22nd I also arranged to have Power/Water turned as well.  I spent the night of the 22nd in VA and by the 23rd I was in a hotel in TN waiting for my stuff to get down here.  I had the Cable Company out on the 24th of June.  On Jun 26th I took my Birth Cert, The Cable Company install invoice, My deed to my new home and the money to pay the license fee (Compared to Maryland they are cheap I am thinking it was around $30).  Note both TN state and my county charge a fee to use a CC it was under 2% of your total charge.  That day I left was a paper DL and they mailed our new hard plastic DL to us it took about a week.  After I left TN homeland security office were you get you DL I could have gone to a gun shop and bought a gun if I wanted to.  Although I have no idea if any of the FFL would have pushed back on the paper DL.  Might have had to wait a week for the hard copy one to arrive.

One thing to note.  In TN you get your DL from the state but you register you Car and get License plates from the County you live in.  So you can't get them both in the same place.  My entire life I have lived in states were you got both at the same place so I hadn't planed enough time to go 2 different places.  You have 30 days to move your plates over to TN once you establish residency.

Warning because you get your plates from the county there can be wide differences in cost and requirements for getting plates in your county.  For instance Brandy county doesn't require emissions testing and cost just $35 for plates and title transfer (It cost me $37.50 in July when I got plates in part because I used a Credit Card).  Whereas according to there website Davidson county requires emissions testing and cost $90 for license plates not sure if there are any other costs based on there website.

Since there is no personal income taxes in the state of TN that is great but they have to get money from somewhere and they get it one of 2 ways.  Sales taxes and property taxes.  Sales taxes in the state start at I believe 7.25% state portion but most county's and city's add in there own local charges as well.  It seems to be in the 9% to 11% range and property taxes really different in some area's.  My home on 1 acre in the county not part of any city is like $600 a YEAR.  Some places can be more then that per month but being from NY you likely understand and known to look out for that.

Thanks

Robert

But i love 9s haha im thinking either a full size m&p9 or a glock 19........ to start  

I have never seen any of the 40 or 45 lovers ever volunteer to be shot by a 9mm.  You will find that most of the police agency's in the state use 40's with a decent percentage using 45's and I haven't seen any that use 9mm.  I am sure there are some out there if you look hard enough but they will be fairly rear.  Some people prefer to use the same weapons and ammo there local leo us if you are one of them that is something to keep in mind.  My personal view don't assume a .40 will be easier to shot compared to a .45.  The .45 have a huge bullet on them but they pack only about 20% more powered so they tend to be slower and in my opinion aren't as hard on your wrist and that can greatly improve your accuracy.  

Update: Fine changed it to fairly rear.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle