Want to Get into Competitive Shooting

I'd like to get into competitive shooting. 

I need more than just going to the range every week.

What would be a good place to start.  I can't invest a ton in a competition gun.

All I currently own are a Springfield XD 9MM Mod.2, Mossberg 12 gauge pump, Old Remington 22LR pump.  Old Remington bolt action 22lr.

Obviously non of these guns are competition models.  Only the Springfield is a top notch firearm, but that purpose is CC only.

Will be purchasing a Colt LE6920 soon once I find it in the configuration I want.

I don't want to get into hard core competition.  I'm a noob, but I shoot fairly well.

Just wanting a hobby with like minded people I can get into.

Where to start?

Edited by Monkeybat
If you're locale is correct in Gallatin we (Tn Action Pistol) host an IDPA or other action pistol match every Wednesday night at Sumner Gun & Supply. Bring out the xD and some mags / ammo and give it a try.

We are new shooter/new to comp shooter friendly and make sure all have a safe and fun time.

Monkeybat,

Agree with Joe.  The TAP folks run a great indoor match that is very new shooter friendly

But if you just can't wait, here is another good place to start at the Gallatin Gun Club.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/89655-intro-to-idpa-shooting-class/

Contact Robert Standley if you are interested.

Your XD is already perfect for the Concealed Carry Pistol division in IDPA.  All you really need is a Good Holster, Good Belt, and at least 3 mags.

Oh Yea - - - And Ammo!  :up:

• Like 1

what type? 

There are generally 2 broad types of competitive shooting...  accuracy, and  "combat/multigun".    For example bullseye pistol / conventional is about accuracy,  as are long range rifle shoots,  while IDPA and 3-gun are about shooting fast at huge targets and while on the move, combat style.    You also have silhouette (accuracy again),  and the oddball stuff like black powder / civil war reenactment competitive shooting.  

Accuracy is MUCH more expensive than combat shooting.   However you can do a lot with a little and unless you plan on doing the sport to win money.  Just depends on what you want to do, how good you really are, and how much money you want to sink into it.   a $5k 1911 won't do you one bit of good if you can't nail the target every time you pull the trigger, whereas well selected starter gear can carry you a long, long way.   My souped up ruger mark 2.5 (its a 3 that was turned back into a 2, specifically) is better than I am, so I don't need to spend big on replacing it.