Thinking of buying pocket 380/9mm

espacef1fan

I was pocket carrying a Keltec P11 not so long ago. It was easy to pocket carry though I hated the trigger and fit/finish. I have recently decided that I want another pocket gun. I have settled on a PPK or a Sig 238/938. I like both of them for several reasons. They are metal and look/feel nicely made. They are accurate. They are easy to shoot well because of the good trigger. They look GREAT.

What I want to know is if there are other pocket guns I should be considering?

I don't recommend the PPK/s but everyone seems determined to have a JB gun and their own viewpoints based upon hearsay and such so that's for you to determine first hand.

In .380 ACP I'd recommend the LCP/P3AT, Pico, 238 and Mustang and G-42 with a maybe to the  from first hand knowledge.

In 9mm P the XDs 9, 938, Solo, Shield 43 and a possible to the LC9s.

I'll equally recommend a S&W J frame or Ruger LCR

I am not a fan of .380 either - and it is a bit more expensive than 9mm. Granted, I am a little biased towards 9mm since I reload for it.

The only real "pocket" one I have is the Glock 43 - I love it, even for my larger hands with the pinky extension (or Taran Tactical +1 or +2s) it fits just right.

Granted, Id take the sucker all the way down and pull out the firing pin assembly and clean it really good then dry it off and put it back together. Maybe even go a step further and get a Ghost connector - that stock trigger is crunchy as a bag of Doritos and breaks around 8lbs stock (at least mine did).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

x2 

with alot of the newer micro 9mm pistols there really isnt much size or capacity difference when stepping down to a .380 anymore 

I was pocket carrying a Keltec P11 not so long ago. It was easy to pocket carry though I hated the trigger and fit/finish. I have recently decided that I want another pocket gun. I have settled on a PPK or a Sig 238/938. I like both of them for several reasons. They are metal and look/feel nicely made. They are accurate. They are easy to shoot well because of the good trigger. They look GREAT.

I use the 938 and have the 238 as well.  Both are excellent, 9 is a tiny bit larger, has more recoil (the 380 is very mild, the 9 is low-moderate).  

The shield is really good.

if you can pocket a p-11 you can pocket hundreds of models.  Cz rami.  Various bersas.  Makarov and similar milsurp 380ish stuff like feg etc.  Colt defender or mustang.  And those are just a few of my favorites... there are, again, a BUNCH that are no bigger than the p-11 in a variety of shapes and styles.  I converted my Makarov to a single action... one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned.   But that isn't really something easy to do nor carry friendly, its just a good target pistol now (complete with custom grips).  

If you only want single actions, look at the colts or the smaller (some older, discontinued) para models and a number of other "1911ish" guns are out there, some quite old.  

Edited by Jonnin

I own both the Sigs, 238 and 938.  Bought both new and have put at least 500 rds through each gun.  Additionally Ive owned and put at least 500 rds thru other small semiautos and haven't found any to compare to the quality, reliability and shootability of the Sigs.  When looking at the Sigs, I prefer to carry the 238 because its just a tad smaller in dimensions, has lesser recoil and I'm more accurate with the P238.  I prefer extended magazines for both pistols and would highly recommend them.

• Like 1

It depends on the size of your pockets. I have a Kahr PM9. With the right holster, it would work fine, but that's about as large as I think I could go for pocket carry. I don't think I could do it comfortably with my Glock G43. I had a Ruger LCP and it was easy to pocket carry, but I get 9mm over .380 for the slight increase in size to the PM9, which is a good trade off IMO.

I don’t pocket carry, but when I wanted a Micro gun that was available in .40S&W I looked at them all and ended up with a Kahr MK40. I also now have a Shield 40. It’s a little taller and longer, but its thinner and cost much less. There is a lot going on with micro guns, you aren't limited to .380 anymore.
  • Like 1

I carry a LCP if I need a smaller gun than the P938.  Both have been reliable but I prefer the 9mm when possible.

I pocket carry my Diamondback .380.  I love how it disappears in my pocket.  I rarely see them mentioned on lists, but I love the little guy.  It fits the same holster as my Ruger LCP did.  I swapped it for the Diamonback because I was always frustrated that the LCP did not have sights that I was comfortable with.  I could shoot fine when shooting paper, but shooting steel plates or trying to shoot drills was less than satisfactory.  It looks and breaks down just like a tiny little Glock.  The trigger pull is a little long, but not worse than the LCP.  I also had a Kel Tec .32 which I loved but was stolen from me (had it in my briefcase in my car, outside a hospital that was posted.)