Best Post-apocalypse Movie

So I see a lot of posts on best shtf fiction books, but what about movies?  What's your favorite shtf movie, OR which movie do you find the most realistic?

Personally, my favorite is Road Warrior

But one of the most realistic would be The Road

The book of Eli. I think humans would quickly devolve into roving bands of marauders and warlords would take over there sections quickly. Also, after 30 years, ammo would have to be becoming scarce, and blades would very much come back into play.

Sent from the backwoods
  • Like 5

Also, after 30 years, ammo would have to be becoming scarce, and blades would very much come back into play.
Sent from the backwoods

Apocalypse or no, thank god I won't be around in 30 years. Trading bullets is bad enough but banging heads with a guy who knows how to use a knife?!? F that. I'll take getting shot anyday over Bill the Butcher.

I saw a knife fight once. A big ole SOB was picking on this little guy. After a while the little guy had enough and pulled out a pocket knife. He held it mostly by the blade and started slicing up the big guy. It was mostly just skin cuts. 

That big fella was bleeding like a stuck pig. After a few minutes he decided to leave the little guy alone...lol.

It was quite a sight.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather some burly mofo like Spots lay a 5lb straight peen hammer across my head than get sliced up by knives.

Crass and un-eloquent, but I have to agree with the sentiment.

Used to think I'd be the one outlasting, fighting, and scrounging and surviving.

Now I know I don't want to see it at all. When I and the wife are gone...you can have my stash.

It's a hard choice between Night of the Comet and This Is The End.

:D

Seriously though, I liked the bleakness of The Road, but there weren't enough people to keep it terribly interesting. Book of Eli was good. I actually kind of like The Postman. Don't hate me for admitting that.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

On second thought.....

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

The original, of course. Though I guess it's more foreign invasion than apocalypse. The kids went through similar survival stuff though. Maybe not terribly realistic, but a good movie that makes me want to shout " 'Merica!"

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
Reign of Fire is one of my favorites, completely unrealistic. My kids love Wall-E.

I know it said movie, but my favorite book is The Road. The movie sucked. If you watched to movie and hated it, you may want to give the book a chance. Edited by Odessa7979
  • Like 1

Reign of Fire is one of my favorites, completely unrealistic. My kids love Wall-E.

I know it said movie, but my favorite book is The Road. The movie sucked. If you watched to movie and hated it, you may want to give the book a chance.

My opinion only here.

I read The Road. It has to be the darkest, bleakest, most pessimistic book I've ever read.

Not saying it isn't probably an accurate portrayal, just so very morbid.
  • Like 2

My opinion only here.

I read The Road. It has to be the darkest, bleakest, most pessimistic book I've ever read.

Not saying it isn't probably an accurate portrayal, just so very morbid.

I am not disagreeing with you. There is a message of hope and redemption, between father and son. If you are looking for uplifting, not the book for you. If you are looking for a thought provoking well written novel, it fits the bill.

I am also a Cormac McCarthy fan. I had read most of his other books when I read this one. If I started with The Road, I might not feel the same way I do about it.
  • Like 1

The book of Eli. I think humans would quickly devolve into roving bands of marauders and warlords would take over there sections quickly. Also, after 30 years, ammo would have to be becoming scarce, and blades would very much come back into play.

Sent from the backwoods

Have to concur on this line of thought and readily admit to having watched every end of the world and after the end of the world mentioned here. Day of the Triffid's and many others are equally good but The Book of Eli is the most realistically feasible. Oh yeah, I've probably read more fiction of this genre than I want to reflect back on but seriously recommend Lucifer's Hammer and anything you can find written by Dean Ing.

• Like 2
I watched Mad Max Fury Road the other night and found it to be very enjoyable. Possibly sacrilege, but I found it as awesome as Mad Max and Road Warrior, and better than Beyond Thunderdome.

Book of Eli was good, but it was unbelievable due to the major plot point openly revealed at the end.

That means that realistic has to go to The Road for me. Or possibly Mad Max if you wanted more action.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Book of Eli, The Matrix, Red Dawn, Mad Max (the original, haven't seen new one), Reign of Fire, Empire of the Sun (with a very young Christian Bale). 

The Road looks interesting, I'll have to add that to the Netflix list.

Book of Eli was good, but it was unbelievable due to the major plot point openly revealed at the end.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you referring to here?

Edited by peejman