Best Post-apocalypse Movie

Book of Eli, The Matrix, Red Dawn, Mad Max (the original, haven't seen new one), Reign of Fire, Empire of the Sun (with a very young Christian Bale). 

The Road looks interesting, I'll have to add that to the Netflix list.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you referring to here?

I would assume he is referring to the fact that the main star is shown to be blind at the end. I know it's supposed to show a man walking in faith and being led by God, but requires a lot of suspension of belief to think he could make the shots and even walk a devastated country for 30 years blind.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather some burly mofo like Spots lay a 5lb straight peen hammer across my head than get sliced up by knives.

I think he was referring to the fact that I really like to train with knives. When I went up and trained with Col McLemore one topic that came up over an evening drink was dueling. Imagine the mentality of someone who would chose to fight in mutual combat with a bowie knife as their weapon. Especially in a time when taking someone apart with a blade was still a major part of some people's learning. I'd rather fight a pissed of grizzly then a man with a big knife and the skill the use it. But if it cake down to it, I've done a lot of training with a big knife, and it's a skill that may eventually come in handy down the road.
  • Like 1
I would much rather face a man with a pistol than a man with a sizable knife. I'm just more afraid of being on the receiving end of a knife than a gun. I'm not the only one this way either. Something in human nature is more afraid of being seriously injured and/or dying bleeding out than being killed quickly.

Having knife fighting skills are invaluable especially with a larger blade. And unlike a gun, the larger and stronger the man, the more dangerous he is with a blade.

I would assume he is referring to the fact that the main star is shown to be blind at the end. I know it's supposed to show a man walking in faith and being led by God, but requires a lot of suspension of belief to think he could make the shots and even walk a devastated country for 30 years blind.

That was my guess too.  What I took was that he was blind, but was gifted sight for the purpose of his journey.  When the journey was complete, the gift was rescinded.  It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I seem to recall the final scene of him laying there reciting the Bible for the scribe while his eyes slowly clouded back over. 

Empire of the Sun (with a very young Christian Bale).

I did not think of Empire of the Sun. Great movie and I love the music. WWII Japan would certainly be considered post apocalyptic.

The Book of Eli was a good movie, but The ending refered to earlier, where it is revealed that he is blind, has bullets, and is impervious to all attacks is the same problem I had with the movie. I understand the implication of the divine hand helped him to do this, but it was unrealistic.
  • Like 1

That was my guess too.  What I took was that he was blind, but was gifted sight for the purpose of his journey.  When the journey was complete, the gift was rescinded.  It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I seem to recall the final scene of him laying there reciting the Bible for the scribe while his eyes slowly clouded back over. 

I don't think he had actual sight throughout the movie. The Bible was in brail which makes me think he was actually blind and they were hinting at a divine sixth sense of sorts.

I watched Mad Max Fury Road the other night and found it to be very enjoyable. Possibly sacrilege, but I found it as awesome as Mad Max and Road Warrior, and better than Beyond Thunderdome.

Book of Eli was good, but it was unbelievable due to the major plot point openly revealed at the end.

That means that realistic has to go to The Road for me. Or possibly Mad Max if you wanted more action.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

kindred, you and I

I would much rather face a man with a pistol than a man with a sizable knife. I'm just more afraid of being on the receiving end of a knife than a gun. I'm not the only one this way either. Something in human nature is more afraid of being seriously injured and/or dying bleeding out than being killed quickly.

Having knife fighting skills are invaluable especially with a larger blade. And unlike a gun, the larger and stronger the man, the more dangerous he is with a blade.

Some people aren't afraid of guns. I've never seen anyone not react to a large blade though. Something psychological tells you to fear a piece of steel. And it's messy work. A gunshot wound is gonna do a lot, but the thought of losing a hand or getting an eye cut out, etc makes a lot of people freeze up.

Sent from the backwoods

I don't think he had actual sight throughout the movie. The Bible was in brail which makes me think he was actually blind and they were hinting at a divine sixth sense of sorts.

My assumption was that he's lived his life as a blind man up until the journey began and continued with his habits. A blind person gifted with sight wouldn't necessarily know how to read. But like I said, been several years since I saw it.

My assumption was that he's lived his life as a blind man up until the journey began and continued with his habits. A blind person gifted with sight wouldn't necessarily know how to read. But like I said, been several years since I saw it.

I think it was ambiguous enough that you could interpret it either way--that he was blind until God chose him as a messenger, and was protecting him during the journey (didn't he miraculously survive the gunfight in the street because the bullets were going around him?).  Or he was blind the whole time and using Daredevil-like 6th sense to function (we assumed at the beginning that the ambushers just had strong BO, but maybe Eli had an unnaturally keen sense of smell, and he was fighting like a ninja in the bar).

I need to re-watch the film knowing the ending to look for clues one way or the other.

I agree with most everything mentioned. Red Dawn and The Postman I would add. Note with The Postman I think the idea of the post office being the redemption from apocalypse is far fetched to put it mildly, but it did do a fairly realistic job of showing how nobody's could rise to somebody's fairly easily.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with most everything mentioned. Red Dawn and The Postman I would add. Note with The Postman I think the idea of the post office being the redemption from apocalypse is far fetched to put it mildly, but it did do a fairly realistic job of showing how nobody's could rise to somebody's fairly easily.

The Postman is a really good move if you cut out most of the first hour of the movie.  Way to much back story.  I actually found the idea of a postman not that far fetched.  Over time small groups of people would have survived "the event"  but because of limited resource it is unlikely we would be building a new "New York" city instead it would be small villages brought together to protect themselves from small groups of thieves.  The idea that a large Warlord would be in charge of the area and would go from town to town is also valid.  I can also see the towns being scared and wouldn't follow anyone attempting to create an army or even attempting to create an area government of any kind but a postman just wanting to open lines of communication would be viewed favorably by everyone.

The Warlord wouldn't like the idea because he wouldn't want "his" people to start thinking of themselves as anything other then his slaves.  I found his escape somewhat believe able and anyone from the town that survived might tell a tall tail of his escape.  I can also see young idealistic kids decided that moving mail around sounded like an adventure and something worth there time.  Remember there was no official lines of communications between the towns.  The only thing I found far fetched in the entire movie was the battle between the postman and the Warlord at the end.  I can't see the Warlord recognizing his claim for the right to do a one on one fight for control of the clan.  I found most of the move very believable myself.  

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle