7 new guns, rust, and ammo!

Back in June, my family and I moved out here to east tn to be closer, (but not too close) to my dad, him being 5 hours away. So last month my dad comes down and (permanently) loans me a substantial portion of his collection.
Since he dropped them off, I've figured out that my/his enfield no4mk1* does not like boat tails, but near moa with hornady flat base .303.
The garand, I haven't fired yet, owing to the lack of a set of dies for .30-06.
The 1903 and m24/47 are moa or better, and my wife may try to lay claim to the '03 if I don't watch my p's and q's.
Also on semi-permanent loan is my grandfathers' Winchester .30-30, and great grandpas sxs 12ga.
Great times!!!!!

Now for some questions-
1--I'm wanting to replicate m2 ball so the ladder sight on the 1903 is accurate out to 435yards (my max range on my property). Any info on that? I've been looking around and all I can find is "150 grain over (can't remember) powder is okay in a garand, etc. Is there a recipe for m2 ball in the ether that I'm not seeing?
2-- great grandpas sxs has a bulged barrel. I have my other great grandpas sxs 12, with a bad lock and stock. Could a gunsmith swap the barrels? ie cut the barrels and center rib from the bottom working of the barrels and weld them on the other one?
3-- How can I ensure they don't rust on me? They'll be shot 2-3 times a year at most, so if dipping the metal in Cosmo is a must, I'll do it. But I will NOT be the one that lets these beautiful pieces of history rust on my watch.
4-- The Winchester is already white on the front half of the receiver, and had the beginnings of rust on it when I got it a month ago. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and clp, and got about half of the rust off. How do I stop it from getting worse?

Thanks for any info you can give me. While I'm not new to guns, I Am new to the humid environment of my new home, and need some advice.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice collection!

rust...  get it off, with the least destructive approach you can but it has to come off.   Chemistry can do it, careful use of mild abrasives can do it, there isn't really a best way depending on where it is located.    Going forward: wipe the guns down with oil.  Spray can of rem-oil is a great protection and cleaner (it fails pretty badly as a lube, though).  Keep the guns in as dry a place as you can, a heated safe with water absorb chemistry works great.  Do not let them get covered in lint, that wicks the humidity to the metal and rusts up fast --- if not in a safe, keep them in a (dry) case of some sort.  Clp is probably as good but it foams up and is harder to work with.   There are a bunch of other things that work just as well, the key points being a thin oil wipe down and keeping it dry and protected.  You don't need cosmo... that is for decades long storage without maintenance.  Put any rustbuckets on a schedule (that is, guns that are prone to rusting) of a once a month wipe down.  Takes 5 min once a month.

Consider a nondestructive coating on exposed metal.  For example those junky blue-touch-up pens you can buy will prevent rust somewhat and does no harm to the weapon (it can be removed without much effort and no damage).

Edited by Jonnin