What should I do with this?

I have acquired one of the big 50gal rolling trash cans.  My previous trash service never bothered to come get it after I cancelled the service and made several inquires, so I'm claiming it.  Looks generally like this, except it's green. 

RUB9W2100GY.jpg

Yes, it was used for trash for several years and is kinda nasty inside.  While I'm not above cleaning it, food storage isn't an option.  It's just sitting there taking up space at the moment and I'd like to put it to some sort of use, so bring on the suggestions....   :wave:

Or a rain barrel for watering your garden...

That's a great idea. It will be far too heavy to move full, but if you use a good portion of the water near where you put it, you would have a mobile watering can capable of holding just as much water as you can move.

I have had an idea in mind for a while now using an old, used trash can.  Use the bottom third or half for storage of some items you want to "hide in plain sight" like a store of ammo or communications equipment or an emergency fund.  Then on top pile scrap wood or other non-organic garage scrap, chunks of drywall etc.  Tuck it away in your garage or basement.  If someone breaks in to your house, it is likely they won't pillage the old trash can with all the junk and you will at least have some ammo as back up in a worst case scenario.  I have done something similar to this technique but using old paint cans.  I put layers of ammo in the cans, then put a piece of cardboard on top of the ammo and then piled old screws and nails on top. 

• Like 6

You could wash it out then it would make a great storage unit for rolls of TP :)

Or a rain barrel for watering your garden...

or even a place to hide when the zombiez attack :P

That style can will not hold water, the axle and that shaft are not water tight.

• Like 1

I have had an idea in mind for a while now using an old, used trash can.  Use the bottom third or half for storage of some items you want to "hide in plain sight" like a store of ammo or communications equipment or an emergency fund.  Then on top pile scrap wood or other non-organic garage scrap, chunks of drywall etc.  Tuck it away in your garage or basement.  If someone breaks in to your house, it is likely they won't pillage the old trash can with all the junk and you will at least have some ammo as back up in a worst case scenario.  I have done something similar to this technique but using old paint cans.  I put layers of ammo in the cans, then put a piece of cardboard on top of the ammo and then piled old screws and nails on top. 

Interesting idea, good spot to hide stuff from the wife if nothing else... :D    Unfortunately this will have to live outside. There's not room for it in my garage. 

That style can will not hold water, the axle and that shaft are not water tight.

I believe you're right about that.  I've been trying to think of some garden related use for it.  I've already got a compost barrel, though it doesn't really yield as much compost as I'd like.  I've seen the trash can smokers, but that requires a metal can. 

Thank for the ideas folks, keep them coming.  :)

You sir, are a genius. :D

I like the rain barrel idea, but I've already got one. I'd have to find a fairly inconspicuous place for it as I'm quite sure my wife will say it's ugly.

You can always use another rain barrel. Get a couple of cans of the "stone" spray paint at Lowes/Homer and dress it up a bit.

When my wife's garndmother passed away, I got two of those green ones from her house.
They stay parked at the corners of the carport and collect rain water. I have submersible pump that I use to empty them into other barrels or pump straight into the garden. I'd wash them out and collect rain water. Never for drinking but would be great for wash water too.

Got a stack of tools in the corner of your garage? Need em organized?

Got some scrap lumber? If you've got enough light lumber (2x2's, plywood, etc) , you could build a rack to keep long handled tools in it, stored upright.

Take the lid off, and insert the rack. BOOM. Your shovels, rakes, garden hoes, etc are all stored upright, Spaced out evenly (with good rack design, that's your job!) they'll be easy to use and put back. Plus you can roll the whole thing to wherever in the yard if you just want all the tools with you at once.

Not as awesome as having them mounted flat on a wall, but likely better than just all leaning in a corner.

• Like 2
I have a leaf vacuum with a long hose and an adapter for a trash can. I use a trash can with wheels to collect the shredded leaves as they are vacuumed, then use the leaves as mulch and compost material. The wheels make moving around the yard easier.

The vacuum came with a small cloth bag that fills up fast; the trash can takes longer to fill up. Shredded leaves compact and compost much better than just whole leaves.
  • Like 1

Got a stack of tools in the corner of your garage? Need em organized?

Got some scrap lumber? If you've got enough light lumber (2x2's, plywood, etc) , you could build a rack to keep long handled tools in it, stored upright.

Take the lid off, and insert the rack. BOOM. Your shovels, rakes, garden hoes, etc are all stored upright, Spaced out evenly (with good rack design, that's your job!) they'll be easy to use and put back. Plus you can roll the whole thing to wherever in the yard if you just want all the tools with you at once.

Not as awesome as having them mounted flat on a wall, but likely better than just all leaning in a corner.

Good idea but my shovels and such are already stored like this...

lifebuzz-dd5bcac4cd95c2b9f3440949b6e21d1

I have a leaf vacuum with a long hose and an adapter for a trash can. I use a trash can with wheels to collect the shredded leaves as they are vacuumed, then use the leaves as mulch and compost material. The wheels make moving around the yard easier.

The vacuum came with a small cloth bag that fills up fast; the trash can takes longer to fill up. Shredded leaves compact and compost much better than just whole leaves.

Another good idea... except that the storms over the last few year have taken care of all my trees, so no leaves to vacuum.  I actually rake them up out of my neighbor's yard to put on my garden in the winter. 

Hmmmmm.....    :cool:

Edited by peejman