20 gauge semi-auto field gun

Major Kong

Still think the Remington 1100 is the best thing out the for you. Priced right and very reliable. Here's an example: The Model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20. That's from Wikipedia. And Guns. com says the same thing: In fact, the 1100 set a record in 1978 for the most shells shot out of a semi-auto shotgun without any cleaning whatsoever and without any failures of any kind. That number is a staggering 24,000+ rounds.

Wow, my two 1100s must be abnormal.  One is a 28" modified made 1966-69 and the other is a newer one set up for 3-gun.  Neither are totally reliable after 200 rounds without cleaning.  I would lean toward an inertia driven gun like the M2.  I've heard good things about the Stoeger M3000 and 3020, which are apparently Benelli-ish clones. 

Franchis' are made by Beretta. They are pretty decent. If I wanted to save a few bucks, I would not be afraid to buy a Franchi.

That being said, I prefer Beneli's personally.

Franchi is actually made by Benelli.  My understanding is that it is made in the same factory and has the same recoil ejection system as the M2.  I Shoot an M2 and bought my son a Franchi Affinity.  Other than the comforteck stock, and the price tag, there is not much difference.  

skeet and dove shooting are high volume shooting. As such, you will be much happier with a gas-operated gun which inherently reduces recoil.  The Remington 1100 or the Beretta 300/400 series guns will serve you well.  Don't buy the 'clones'.  If you can find a Beretta 390/391 those are exceptional guns as well.  Avoid the Franchi and Benelli  primarily due to their lite weight.  If you check around, Argentina dove outfitters generally use the Beretta due to the properties I pointed out with high volume shooting.  You will also have a quality gun to hand down or for resell.  

I firmly believe a shotgun should have two barrels, but the OP asked about a semi auto.

I have a nice O/U 20 gauge that I have no intentions of ever parting with. It's the high volume shooting previously mentioned that makes me want a semi-auto also.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.

I have a nice O/U 20 gauge that I have no intentions of ever parting with. It's the high volume shooting previously mentioned that makes me want a semi-auto also.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.

Yup. A good dove shoot leaves me bruised from elbow to jaw with my Citori Featherweight 20.

I had a 1100 LW from the mid 70's that we tried to see how long it would take to get a failure. We never found out. At 800 rounds without cleaning it got soaked in a rain storm and we had to clean it. Can't say that about the 2014 1100 Trap I had. Better clean that thing every 200 rounds at the most.