Fishing with man's best friend (dog)!

angler

Seriously, and good long walk before getting in the boat, maybe even a 30 minute run on the tread mill and a belly full of treats afterward. Your buddy will be napping next to you in the sun.

:rofl: :rofl: After all that exercise and food I would be napping beside the dog and not fishing............... :rock: :rock:

Pards: like to ask a question? How many of you take your dog fishing? Want to take my jack russell fishing, I know they are hyper, but any sugestions would be greatly appreciated, have a 12' jon boat,

I have several dogs that sometimes go out on the boat with my family. One suggestion if you take him out during the summer, have some type of shade available. They get pretty hot with the fur and ours are always trying to get up under the shaded areas in the boat.

I'd do a trial run with him on a day you're not really wanting to fish to see how he does. One of our dogs doesn't like being in the boat at all so we don't even try anymore.

I got a wild one that I can't even take for a ride in the truck without a leash to keep her from jumping out the window. I give her just enough slack to get to the window (it'd be cruel otherwise, LOL) but not enough to get more than her face out the window.

That'd be a little harder on a boat, but a leash means you can reel the dog in if it goes overboard, preventing you from taking a swim to go after an escapee.

Pards: took him out this morning! Just tried to bank fish, wanted to chase the lure into the water, barked everytime threw lure out! Think I will hold off for awhile, thanks for all the sugestions! Wife got a big kick out of the reply's so did I, again thanks for the solutions! Might try to drug him!! LOL!

I have a 3 year old black lab that weighs close to 90 pounds. He loves being in the water much more than being in the boat. Try getting a 90 pound dog back in the boat in the middle of the lake. I keep a full harness on him now so that I have something to grab hold of to pull him back in then I get a spray bath when he shakes off. LOL He also wants to chase the lure and anything that moves on the bank. I am getting used to fishing with one hand on the dog and one on the fishing pole.