New idpa scoring

Apparently announced at the world banquet. 1 second for each point down.......

Good!   :up:

That was the original intent of the majority of the IDPA founders.  Its why the targets have a 1996 copyright on them with -1, -3, .

OK - - - I now get to tell my one and only No SH*T There I Was with Larry Vickers story.

LAV had retired and was working for H&K.  I was at a range event where H&K was trying to sell the Army on one of its new weapons.  I ran a stage with the weapon and remarked that I was happy being only 1 down for a .5 second added if we where shooting it like an IDPA match.  I made the off-handed comment, "I always wondered why the targets have -1 and -3, yet its half-second added for each point down?"  

The H&K guy (with Larry on his nametag) who had demo the weapon and was running us said, "Well we wanted a full second, in fact the targets had already been copyrighted, and then Bill changed his mind and since he was the one writing the checks it became a half second in the rulebook...."

And I replied, "Then you must be talking about Bill Wilson and you must be the Larry that has his last name on these targets aren't you?" 

And he said, "Yep."

And that is my No SH*T There I Was with Larry Vickers story.

My Dear Coop,

Get a couple of shots of whiskey in me and the stories will really get to flowing!  :blah:

Getting Back on Topic - - - -

I think this rule just might level the playing field between the Young & Fast vs the Senior & Experienced shooters.

Then again....., I fear slowing you down a little will only make you more accurate!  :doh:

Well if there going to do that then PE's need to be 6 seconds and NT need to be 10 seconds. A 3 score on a target and a PE being the same penalty means more speed reloads done, (bullets in dropped magazine). A stage shot zero down with a speed reload will be done faster than a emergency reload or reload with retention in most cases. I don't think it's going to slow or speed up overall stage times, because it's the same score just not divided by half.
  • Like 2
Coming at this as a serious gun carrier first, trainer second and gamer third I am glad to see it. If a hit in the abdomen is scored as only a half second lower than a round in the aorta then we are really not being very realistic with our scoring. We know that rounds in the area from diaphragm to neck are going to get best results with pistol bullets....everything else to the body is really a crap shoot as far as effectiveness.

The target HAS already been changed once when they moved the minus 0 circle up a couple of inches. It used to be lower. So I think it is a good idea.And I would personally like to see misses more like 5 seconds (in the real world which idpa is supposed to replicate if you shoot it you buy it) and see hit on non threats at 10 seconds (or more) but I fear a lot of folks who just play it as a game and don't care about how it can be more realistic will not like it.
  • Like 3

Coming at this as a serious gun carrier first, trainer second and gamer third I am glad to see it. If a hit in the abdomen is scored as only a half second lower than a round in the aorta then we are really not being very realistic with our scoring. We know that rounds in the area from diaphragm to neck are going to get best results with pistol bullets....everything else to the body is really a crap shoot as far as effectiveness.

The target HAS already been changed once when they moved the minus 0 circle up a couple of inches. It used to be lower. So I think it is a good idea.And I would personally like to see misses more like 5 seconds (in the real world which idpa is supposed to replicate if you shoot it you buy it) and see hit on non threats at 10 seconds (or more) but I fear a lot of folks who just play it as a game and don't care about how it can be more realistic will not like it.

This is an excellent point, especially when you think about it from the founding principles. That said, the target should really reflect that zone of diaphragm all the way to the head as a down 0. 

But, in the end it is a game, and one we would all like to see grow. Changes like this will impact newer shooters, and especially the ones that are in that area of trying to speed up to be competitive yet not quite ready to go that fast. That could have a negative impact on their enjoyment. 

I dont mind changes that are designed to slow everyone down, but it is important to remember that it is a game and when you make these changes it rarely impacts the top people. But the rank and file shooters are another story. If they stop having fun, then there wont be any growth. 

JMO, but if those targets aren't shooting back.....it IS a game. :cool:

Really? Wow never would have guessed that.....not only are you preaching to the choir you are preaching to the arch bishop. By mentioning folks playing it as a game I was referring to those who ONLY play gun games and do not actually carry guns in a serious manner on a regular basis....and there are plenty of those people shooting Idpa......and USPSA for that matter.

No one with more than 4 IQ points thinks IDPA is "real" or is "training" but some of us (including some founding members) think it still should represent real life a bit more than it presently does. Will it ever be real? Not unless there is a medic standing by...in fact it will never even be as real as competently run scripted force on force evolutions but those are impossible to make objectively scored contests out of. And in the end if it is scored it needs to be "fair" and everyone experience the same test in order to declare a winner and the numerical placement of runners up......but it would add a little more realism if the penalties for misses,hits on bystanders and hits outside the high thoraxic and head were higher than they presently are..... Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 4

Really? Wow never would have guessed that.....not only are you preaching to the choir you are preaching to the arch bishop. By mentioning folks playing it as a game I was referring to those who ONLY play gun games and do not actually carry guns in a serious manner on a regular basis....and there are plenty of those people shooting Idpa......and USPSA for that matter.

No one with more than 4 IQ points thinks IDPA is "real" or is "training" but some of us (including some founding members) think it still should represent real life a bit more than it presently does. Will it ever be real? Not unless there is a medic standing by...in fact it will never even be as real as competently run scripted force on force evolutions but those are impossible to make objectively scored contests out of. And in the end if it is scored it needs to be "fair" and everyone experience the same test in order to declare a winner and the numerical placement of runners up......but it would add a little more realism if the penalties for misses,hits on bystanders and hits outside the high thoraxic and head were higher than they presently are.....

Unless your purposely trolling Facebook..................GUILTY!!!! 

I don't really think it will change anything but make the overall times 4 to 5 seconds faster.  If you shoot fast now when the buzzer goes off you're gonna shoot fast under the "new new new new new" rules. I hope I got the correct amount of news in there.

Looks like it's a go.

IDPA Board issues change to Point Down penalty
IDPA
Last week at the World Championship awards banquet, I announced that the IDPA Board of Directors has elected to increase the Point Down penalty from a half second to 1 second. The BoD is comprised of two MA shooters (both Founders of the sport) and one EX with a combined total of more than 57 years of IDPA experience. This decision was made to keep the sport aligned with the founder's intent of valuing accuracy over speed. As concealed carry holders, which many of our members are, we are responsible for every round that leaves our gun, and IDPA needs to reflect that in our practices. I met with some of the Area Coordinators recently to share this information and the feedback received from them was very positive. There is no hard timetable for this change. Classification scores and other areas will need to reflect the change, and we are already working with some of our scoring vendors on this change. More information will be available as the work progresses and we will make updates on this via the Tactical Journal and Tactical Brief.