How about Talledega?

Caster

Okay, so how many scenarios have we seen that were abysmal failures? Ricks prison sucked. Prisons are for keeping you IN, not keeping people out.

So I was thinking during "Fear the walking dead" tonight....what about a nascar track? Obviously, a small group couldn't do it, but let's say you have 20-30 good strong men (plus their women and children for meneal labor) I wonder how difficult it would be to secure the track against walkers?

Look at the size of that thing?!!?! You could farm high yield crops and have a decent amount of goats and chickens. There's a decent fence in place. Flat, easily watched over from tower positions.

There are facilities out the wazoo that could be modified to work off grid. Plenty of underground shelter in that tunnel leading to the infield. It wouldn't take too much creativity to turn the bleachers into living and work areas.

Yeah, it's more of a large scale thinking, as opposed to our usual small pack or lone wolf mentality, but its a real thought, were one equipped with sufficient manpower.

You'd definitely need a few hundred people to work it and maintain it.

In addition to the prebuilt fences, large farmable infield, and observation towers, it has those huge open fields around it .... I mean "parking lots" . You'd see any herds or living invaders coming a good ways off. There's also the municipal airport next door. those are some nice advantages. Biggest advantage of all.....it's close to the Anniston Army Depot if you could get there before it gets raided.

Some disadvantages are that it's not super close to a great water source. There are a couple of creeks nearby but I don't know if they flow year round. It would be a challenge to get water from the Coosa river all the way over there. It's also close to an Interstate, which is bad. Like peejman said, defending an oval would be hard. Those open fields that give good sight lines also create no natural funnel, so you could get hit from everywhere at once. It's not close to any sizeable town for raiding once the hysteria dies down.

• 3 weeks later...
Not really. Family men. Men with children. Make food and safety for those children priority #1. The men will follow.

Take your avatar for instance. Precious little one in that frog life vest. As long as that little one is safe and sound, reasonably well fed and not mistreated in any way......you'd do what was asked of you, again within reason.

A man who cares about his children can always be trusted to what's in THEIR best interest, screw the rest of the world. Make THEIR best interest YOUR priority and loyalty is yours for as long as he feels he can do no better for his children.

I've said it many times, there's very little in this world that's More dangerous than a man who love his wife and kids. What he's capable of doing to see them fed clothed and sheltered is pretty scary.
  • Like 1

It could work. I would want to set up a barricade with cars around the property to keep people from just driving up. I don't know what the chances of finding enough cars to cover an area like a racetrack are. It's a really large area to secure. Other than the population in towns I have always liked the idea of Lowe's. I worked at the one here in Murfreesboro and you could easily fortify it and grow food in both the greenhouse and outside garden areas. Large Cat generator out back with a secured fenced in area. Water source right behind the building, Deer all over the place. Sams and walmart within 2 miles.

Yep. Lowes/HD has limited access points into the building. No big glass storefront, just the entrance and exit doors, lumber yard entrance, garden center entrances (sometimes 2), back door, and back loading dock door. Quickly close up several of the entrances and you've got a great long-term hunker-down location. Plus all the materials needed fortify it both defensively and offensively. There are a lot of good booby trap and bomb making supplies in a hardware store. Plus the high roof for over watch. The 2 biggest downsides I see are short-term food until the garden center starts producing more than just pretty flowers, and it's a big target for anyone rolling through.

• 2 weeks later...

Daytona has a lake... nice source of freshwater and there are fish in it.

A little closer to home, the Music City Center has a living roof. But, you are locked in downtown...

A local hardware store or CO-OP might have possibilities as well...