"IDPA like" Night Match on Saturday Sept. 26 at Green River Gun club of Bowling Green KY.

Green River Gun Club will be hosting their annual Night Match on Saturday, September 26th, 2015.

Come on out to test your skills and tactics shooting in low light conditions with the weapon setup of your choice
(well at least for most of the stages anyways as a couple have been adjusted to force you to adapt to when Murphy's Law applies.)

Details are as follows:

• $15 entry fee
  • 4pm setup
  • 6:30pm MANDATORY SHOOTERS MEETING (if you do not attend this meeting you will not be allowed to shoot)
  • Shooting will start at dark.

We will be using IDPA-like rules for the shooting and scoring of this match.  (Some liberties have been taken on the stage design
of Stage 4 with respect to the number of non-threats allowed.)

For safety reasons we do require that you have previous experience shooting IDPA matches if you are going to shoot this match.

There are 3 divisions for pistols and 1 division for rifles/carbines.

You can choose to shoot pistols only, rifles only, or shoot both if you want.

The rifle portion of the match will be shot after the pistol shooters in each squad have finished that stage and before moving on to
the next stage.

Pistol Divisions:

Hand-held light

Weapon mounted light (you must have a holster that will accommodate the light)

Weapon mounted laser/light (you must have a holster that will accommodate the laser/light)

Rifle/carbine Division:

Weapon mounted light

The match will consist of 5 stages for the pistol shooters with a minimum round count of 74 rounds.

The match will consist of 3 stages (Stages 3-5) for the rifle/carbine shooters with a minimum round count of 45 rounds.
 (For safety reasons the rifle/carbine shooters will not use the lantern on stage 4 for illumination and Stage 5 will also be
started outside the car from a low ready position.)

The stages have been posted on GRGC's website:

http://www.bggrgc.com/html/BG_GRGC_2015_Night_Match.html

• Like 1

If I can make it, I'll be shooting my M249 suppressed with DBAL (IR laser and IR flashlight) with PVS14 night vision.

If John lets me :)

Need to see if Mike Dresner can go. He'll be at my house Saturday and I'm trying to get him to run some big guns with me. But he's a big maybe right now. Someone needs to message him and bug him to attend :)

• Like 1

If I can make it, I'll be shooting my M249 suppressed with DBAL (IR laser and IR flashlight) with PVS14 night vision.

If John lets me :)

Need to see if Mike Dresner can go. He'll be at my house Saturday and I'm trying to get him to run some big guns with me. But he's a big maybe right now. Someone needs to message him and bug him to attend :)

I didn't see anything in the rules about suppressed or full auto, so since it has a light on it, ....

I don't want to paste for you!  Should I go ahead and put down multiple hits on all the "non-threats" now ? 

• Like 1

...... Should I go ahead and put down multiple hits on all the "non-threats" now ? 

John,

I think that would be a good idea....., especially for stage 4.

28s79q9.jpg

But you should give 173rdABN bonus points if he does "SAW" off any of the Zombie heads! 

...... Well designed stages with just the right amount of goofy props.

Agree, well designed stages.

And...., Nothing at all wrong with goofy props. 

However, when three out of five stages have them, its a formula for an ineffective match.  Throw in the fact that it was a night match and everything slows down. 

This match took over four + hours for five stages.

A good rule of thumb with match design is that when the shooter must "stage" themselves in a prop at the start position (bed, boat, car, etc., etc.), 2-3 added minutes per shooter will be the affect on the time required to run that stage.  So, if you have 10 shooters in the squad 20-30 minutes over and above the actual conduct of firing the stage with be the result.  Now do that for three out of five stages and the match will run longer than it needs to and squads will be stacking up on top of each other.

And to be honest..., I would have much rather shot each stage with my carry and HD gear over the goofy flood light and lantern props provided for a couple of the stages.  For many folks, this match is the only time they get to shoot in darkness.  We missed an opportunity for them to run their equipment. 

However, when three out of five stages have them, its a formula for an ineffective match.  Throw in the fact that it was a night match and everything slows down. 

A good rule of thumb with match design is that when the shooter must "stage" themselves in a prop at the start position (bed, boat, car, etc., etc.), 2-3 added minutes per shooter will be the affect on the time required to run that stage.  So, if you have 10 shooters in the squad 20-30 minutes over and above the actual conduct of firing the stage with be the result.  Now do that for three out of five stages and the match will run longer than it needs to and squads will be stacking up on top of each other.

And to be honest..., I would have much rather shot each stage with my carry and HD gear over the goofy flood light and lantern props provided for a couple of the stages.  For many folks, this match is the only time they get to shoot in darkness.  We missed an opportunity for them to run their equipment. 

Now I'm glad I didn't go. Night vision sounds like it would have been useless. Thanks for the good insight Mark.

While I don't completely agree with your assessment, I do agree that it was an very long match. I was exhausted by the third stage. The stages could have been shorter, but I think the two main reasons it took so long were:

1.) Nearly everyone shot two guns, so we essentially had 40 shooters in 3 squads.

2.) It was a night shoot, so everything took longer, from staging the shooters, shooting the stage, scoring, and pasting/resetting.

I actually like the fact that we had to use some equipment that we would not normally use. Sometimes we might have to improvise and use what's available. 

I will pass along your concerns to the GRGC match director, and perhaps some of them can be addressed for next years night shoot. Thanks.

• Like 1

John,

Perhaps I'm being far too critical. 

The design of all of the stages was good, but perhaps that many prop stages at night should be reconsidered for next year's match. 

I do feel that stage five with the smoke generator in the car was unsafe.  The smoke was so thick and heavy that it was hard for the SO to see the shooter much less where their hands and firearm was.  Our squad was the first to shoot it so perhaps the smoke was at its highest volume.  I think Gerry gave the next squad's SO a heads-up about our concern with the smoke.