Carry at home and LEO visit

My wife and I geocache and she set up a 2 stage multi cache in are large front yard in a rural area and it's been there for 9 years and just about 70 visits.  About 1/2 of the finds, we never knew anyone was there and most come in daytime or during early evening hours.  It's a general rule in this game not to seek hides on private property very late at night, such as midnight.

Last night, my wife awoke me about midnight or so, I look out the window and see tail lights leaving my driveway; it registered a moment or two later that if I saw tail lights, it meant the car came all the way and turned around.  This alerted me and I got the AR-15 out.  I keep an eye outside and see people heading up on foot, this got my DEFCON alert at a higher level, I went outside to watch.  Wife was on the phone with dispatch.  Being that I work Juvenile Justice with DCS, she is always concerned we'd get a visit from a current or former case that we had negative relationship and I do work the county that I reside.  

When I saw the flashlights, I eased my concern and knew they were geocachers, and swung my AR on my back.  Deputies showed up and intentionally kept my rifle slinged on my back with barrel pointed down.  The deputies saw me and I kept my hands in view, weapon on my back.  They were not alarmed; the questioned the cachers, running the ID's and counseled them about playing this game this late at night, pointing at my AR, that they could have been shot.  

I spoke to the cachers after the deputies departed, they were very new to the game, I've played for over 10 years and since they used smartphones in a low or no signal area, I counseled them that they get a real Garmin to obtain better readings and not be playing this game after midnight in most areas, like residential and urban parks and etc.  

Further discussion, 2 of the 3 cachers were carrying long knives in sheaths, in which, I don't know much about the knife laws and I usually carry a handgun when I play.  

Only other time I had an LEO visit and came out armed, we found a car parked in my driveway.  At the time (many years ago) I didn't have the toys like I have today and came out with a .357 mag revolver in my hand, saw it was LEO; I left the gun back in the house and asked the deputy if everything was OK.  

I’m not sure I understand what happened here?

You hid stuff on your property and registered it somewhere or gave clues to someone playing a game?

Someone came to your property. They were carrying big azz knives, but you recommend carrying a gun when you are out doing whatever it I these individuals are doing.

Instead of your first thought being these people were playing the game you are participating in, your first thoughts were to get a rifle, go outside and have your wife call 911.

I have some questions but I’m not sure I understand what I am reading. biggrin.gif

• Like 11

I’m not sure I understand what happened here?

You hid stuff on your property and registered it somewhere or gave clues to someone playing a game?

Someone came to your property. They were carrying big azz knives, but you recommend carrying a gun when you are out doing whatever it I these individuals are doing.

Instead of your first thought being these people were playing the game you are participating in, your first thoughts were to get a rifle, go outside and have your wife call 911.

I have some questions but I’m not sure I understand what I am reading. biggrin.gif

My very thoughts.

Not sure but I think its called Geo Caching? Where people go looking for a cache like an adult scavenger hunt of sorts. I think the sites are listed publicly somewhere? So anyone can participate? Maybe not a bad idea if the sites were public land. Maybe I am missing something here but but seems like it could have a bunch of unintended consequences.
I had friends who played a long time ago. My basic understanding is that these caches are hidden all over the world and there are websites were you look up GPS coordinates. Then people try to find them and I think they leave a small item there. There isn't anyway on earth I'm putting coordinates and an open invatation treasure hunt on my land. As far as big knives, it's legal to carry any knife in Tennessee now, but not sure how that would work out on private land. I'm with the above, I'd don't think the game is fun if it ends with 911 and a rifle. I'd suggest removing the caches before somebody uses it as an excuse to case your place out.

Sent from the backwoods
  • Like 3

I can certainly imagine the gawdawful legal mess that could come down on the property owner if he shot someone who was essentially invited to his property in the first place via the geocache, even if the situation did somehow evolve into what would otherwise have been perhaps a legitimate self defense response. Just really grays the whole scenario up beau coup.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I geocache as well (O-mega fcfc72e5-be54-49f6-adbc-bdf5f8f55d20_a.j there), and while I don't have a cache on my property I have been to many on private property (residence).  On the cache page there are instructions on how and when to approach, and many of them set hours.  After playing for a bit, you can tell when someone is seeking a cache or when it's a non-cacher, (muggle).  I also carry when I cache, not because of caching but because I mostly always carry.  New players make unwise decisions and have caused problems which have had LEO get involved but its always been a matter of someone not following the guidelines.

I'll be the one. Whenever you have an Easter egg hunt for adults that ends up with Ar15s and calling 911 for Deputy assistance, you have a stupid game. Sorry, my opinion only.

Yep, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, :2cents:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

More of my focus was being armed with a rifle when LEO arrived.  

Geocache has been in my yard 9 years and if the cachers had come by 3-4 hours earlier, this would have been an uneventful encounter.  As stated, the cache in the yard has been found about 70 times and never had any prior issue.  

As a whole, geocachers are the most friendly people around where I have met players while on the trail and others as they seek the treasure.  

I recognize your explaining how you handled a situation on your own property where you were armed with an AR-15 and slung it muzzle down across your back when you observed the police arrive. Firstly I'm glad no one was injured. Secondly you have drawn as large a target across yourself as possible and cannot see what you've done.

My first advice is remove the cache from your yard soonest. My second is to never, I repeat never go outside of your house armed to confront or investigate an intruder, particularly if your spouse is calling the police to report same. Had one of those kids been shot by the police it would have cost you everything you own. Had the police shot you once they noticed you moving with a rifle they would have been absolved.

I personally think geo caching is a good thing but young people and newcomers who are bored don't pay attention to the time of night. You are far luckier in what happened in this incident then you realize. Take the good with the bad and hopefully learn something yourself here.

• Like 3

I recognize your explaining how you handled a situation on your own property where you were armed with an AR-15 and slung it muzzle down across your back when you observed the police arrive. Firstly I'm glad no one was injured. Secondly you have drawn as large a target across yourself as possible and cannot see what you've done.
My first advice is remove the cache from your yard soonest. My second is to never, I repeat never go outside of your house armed to confront or investigate an intruder, particularly if your spouse is calling the police to report same. Had one of those kids been shot by the police it would have cost you everything you own. Had the police shot you once they noticed you moving with a rifle they would have been absolved.
I personally think geo caching is a good thing but young people and newcomers who are bored don't pay attention to the time of night. You are far luckier in what happened in this incident then you realize. Take the good with the bad and hopefully learn something yourself here.

Very well said.

“Play stupid games, win stupid prizes”

I’ve been playing the geocaching sport for 10 going on 11 years.  And, one of the very positive aspects of this game are the people I’ve me and befriended.  Prior to my consolidation of my work phone to my personal phone, there were more cachers in my contact list than family.  Outside of finding caches on private residential property, I have been to more homes of fellow cachers than members of the church I attend.

As a whole, we help each other out, via phone-a-friend, tagging along on cache runs and just plain ole fellowship.  Once, prior to a trip to Michigan, I contacted cachers in the area where I would be hunting and one replied giving me his phone number for PAF.  He asked about my agenda and on a Sunday, he suggested that we meet and I along with my daughter got a personal tour of Windsor, Ontario that was very enlightening.  When asked I have provided personal cache tours of my home region.  I have called upon my caching friends when my truck broke down in Millington, provided transportation from Memphis to Jackson when I returned from Kuwait on R&R and last year, asked a geo-couple from Nashville to keep my truck at their house as my family flew to Florida, saving me over $70 in parking fees.

Because of the game I have re-taken/taken up/ or increased my activity:  Scuba diving, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking and disc golf.

As for my geo-accomplishments: 

I am one of less than 1% in the game to complete the 81 terrain/difficultly grid.

Have over 4,800 finds in total, occurring in four countries (US, Canada, Kuwait, Iraq ((last country earning me the title of combat cacher))), 26 US states and one district. 

Been to and experience the sites of:

Fall Creek Falls, TN

USS Alabama in Mobile, AL

Empire State Building, NYC

Disney World Magic Kingsdom

Alien Museum in Roswell, NM

Southern most point in US

Carlsbad Caverns, NM

Grotto in Memphis

St. Louis Arch

Elvis Presley birthplace in Tupelo, MS

Covered Bridge in Trimble, TN

Lamberts in Sikeston, MO

Ruby Falls in Chattanooga, TN

Battlefields at:  Yorktown, VA, Paducah, KY, Franklin, TN, Hartsville, TN, Nashville, TN, Confederate Mass grave near Hatchie River

Final resting places or places of death of:

Chicken George (of Roots)

Alex Haley

Gen. Forrest

Birdman of Alcatraz

Stonewall Jackson (to include his main grave, where arm is buried and where he died)

Johnny Cash

Minnie Pearl

• Like 2

There is a different breed of people geocaching today than there were several years ago. Back at the time this was placed I wouldn't have a problem with it. Today I would. The funny thing is I don't think the people like this stay in it long term. They are all in it for the numbers and miss the challenging and interesting locations. They get bored quick. You used to know every one or soon would. Today you don't know many of them.

• Like 1

I stopped actively caching a long time ago. I still maintain mine, but rarely go out anymore.  I got bored with all the lamp post caches and tossed in a bush caches.  Every now and then I will lookup an earth cache or two or an interesting one I hear about but that's mostly it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a conversation with a officer while armed about a month ago.

My neighbor came home with a robbery in progress. The robbers ran toward my place and he called and told me as much right after he called to police. I threw my AR across my back and went out to check on the outbuildings. While I was checking on things, the police showed up at my place to have a look around. I had a conversation with them with the AR on my back. Nobody even mentioned it. Now mind you this is a rural area and it's not uncommon to see people carrying guns at any given time.

Another time some friends and I were doing some shooting at my makeshift range. Somebody called and complained and the police showed up. I saw the cop coming down the driveway and I asked everybody to put their firearms down as to not make the cop nervous with about a dozen people with guns in their hands. The cop saw what we were doing (shooting into a berm) and told us to carry on.  

Been caching on and off for over 9 years.  I personally do not hunt caches that are placed on private residential property near a dwelling, and I would never consider hiding such a cache (and have been asked to several times).  Never seemed like the best idea...and this experience bears that out.  One thing I learned about other cachers early on - a considerable number of them either don't read the page well, or choose to ignore it.

Personally, I can't imagine putting out an open internet invite to come to my property for any reason, especially in today's world . I've never had a lot of faith in strangers anyway, until they prove to me they are not a threat. I've met some really good people selling things on Craigslist, but some people have died doing the exact same thing. If I have something to sell now, I meet someplace very public now with lots of traffic like a racetrac or similar place, and I go armed to the teeth. I'd rid myself of any activity that results in me having to go outside armed to investigate and calling 911.

• Like 1

My house is way off the road and I also collect military vehicles and you can routinely hear me shooting guns. I have come to be known as the crazy gun guy with all the military trucks.

People that know me know that's not who I really am but it's not a bad reputation to have. All my neighbors have had break-ins but they always seem to pass my place up.  

• Like 2