Time to replace wife's pk380, need advice.

espacef1fan

I won't spend much space on why its being replaced other than poor warranty service and poor design.

She loved the grip , light recoil, and easy to operate slide. The da trigger wasn't fun but worth it to get to the single action trigger on the 2nd round.

What other pistols should she consider in this class (similar size 380 or MAYBE 9MM)?

I won't spend much space on why its being replaced other than poor warranty service and poor design.
She loved the grip , light recoil, and easy to operate slide. The da trigger wasn't fun but worth it to get to the single action trigger on the 2nd round.
What other pistols should she consider in this class (similar size 380 or MAYBE 9MM)?

My wife has a Ruger SR 9C not much bigger in size. Easy to shoot and well Rugers customer service has always been exceptional.
Might be worth a look

My wife has a Ruger SR 9C not much bigger in size. Easy to shoot and well Rugers customer service has always been exceptional.
Might be worth a look

I rented one a couple of weeks ago, and I really liked the trigger.  An employee at the range mentioned that it hadn't been as reliable as the Glocks and M&Ps.  What has she seen from a reliability standpoint?

I ordered a police trade-in M&P40c from Bud's.

I rented one a couple of weeks ago, and I really liked the trigger.  An employee at the range mentioned that it hadn't been as reliable as the Glocks and M&Ps.  What has she seen from a reliability standpoint?

I ordered a police trade-in M&P40c from Bud's.

it has fed everything from Winchester Ranger Federal HST Federal fmj Tulamo Herters etc. She has had it about 2 years no failures what so ever. I would recommend one with out hesitation.

I bought my wife the XD mod 2 in 9mm and fell on love with it, 2 of the ranges in town have rentals, I don't care for the one on Ft Campbell Bvd but that is one choice the other is Guns n Archery.  Go rent one then decide that would be the best bet so she will know what it feels like.

like that SA pull?   How about one of the sigs  (380 or 9)?   The shield also has a decent, if not SAO, trigger.   Both the shield and sig 9s are a little more snappy, not bad, but not as mild as a 380.  These are smallish and the grip is not as friendly as the fingered pk.  The ruger mentioned is probably the closest actual match to the PK.  

Cz83 or bersa types are fairly mild DA/SA 380s, again grip isnt quite what she had.  The cz82/83 has a big following and custom grips are out there, see a lot of well dressed ones.

Edited by Jonnin
I'll look into the CZs. I did some more chatting tonight, it's been short conversations because it ends when she gets re-mad about the situation.

Anyways she mentioned she prefers da/sa and a similar size and weight to the pk380. The bersa is out just for its blowback design (stiff slide and recoil for her build/medical conditions )

My wife has a sig p238. Awesome gun. The slide is easy to manipulate, great sights (tritium), very accurate, fun to shoot, well-made SA pistol. The only question I had about it with her was the 1911ish complexity of it. I have to make sure she stays "current" on it. Just happen to have a pic....
p238.jpg

She also has a glock 43. She likes them both a lot (and so do I :) )

Sig also makes the same gun in 9mm in the slightly larger P938

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
We had the talk about the 238. She knows the technology and safety features of a Sao gun , but just doesn't like the idea of cruising around with a cocked hammer. Maybe if she shot it? Anyone compared a bersa thunder , browning bda/beretta cheetah to a pk380?

Speaking of the 938, I'm holding out for the all nickel plated one :)
Beretta 92 Compact Type M. It's a standard Beretta 92, except single stack. Will likely be difficult to find.

Walther PPK in .380acp

Sig P239 single stack available in 9mm, .40s&w, or .357sig

Beretta Cheetah

That's all I can think of that fits your requirements.

Might try a HK P2000 or P2000sk as well.

We had the talk about the 238. She knows the technology and safety features of a Sao gun , but just doesn't like the idea of cruising around with a cocked hammer. Maybe if she shot it? Anyone compared a bersa thunder , browning bda/beretta cheetah to a pk380?

Having read through the listed likes and dislikes of your very discerning wife, who I complement by the way, I'll step aside from any striker fired pistol recommendations. If S&W still made the 3913 that would be an ideal gun for her, particularly the Ladysmith version of it. Used ones are of course available. But for something new, reliable, accurate and available which also meets all of her selection criteria I believe a PX4 Storm Sub-Compact in 9mmP will be more than pleasing to her... 

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/px4-storm-subcompact/

• Like 1

I haven't got experience with the PK380, but I ordered a Beretta Cheetah 84FS for someone.  It came in today and is a really nice gun.  A little big for a .380 maybe but the SA trigger pull is great.  For all the little things that I grumbled about with the M9 the SA trigger wasn't one of them.

If you can find one, a Sig P230/232 sounds like something she would like. Decocks to half cock so the first round isn't a heavy trigger pull.

I still occassionally carry my Sig P230 which was purchased brand new in 1981.  Continues to function flawlessly.  Still love that gun!