Remington moving to Alabama

gomer pyle

I understand the sentiment, but from a business standpoint, Barrett would be better off tossing his money from a bridge and watching people run around to pick it up.  He has NO issues moving his current product.  It would be a simple matter to expand into other manufacturing.  Handguns or whatever.  

Taking on the dead weight that is 'Colt' would be financial suicide.  

I understand the sentiment, but from a business standpoint, Barrett would be better off tossing his money from a bridge and watching people run around to pick it up.  He has NO issues moving his current product.  It would be a simple matter to expand into other manufacturing.  Handguns or whatever.  

Taking on the dead weight that is 'Colt' would be financial suicide.  

If I had the financial means and backing as well as the right location in the right portion of the Southeaster United States I'd do it. All Colt needs to be successful again is return to its core products. Colt used to make some fantastic revolvers with the New Service and Police Positive. With a modern CNC manufacturing facility they could become successful again.

• Like 1

They used to make the finest money can buy.

It would be a VERY tough endeavor to get back there again.  Older Colt pistols locked up like a bank vault because there were men and women who apprenticed under masters for YEARS to become qualified to do the hand fitting required for such quality.  Fat chance finding it now.  I was a machinist for over a decade and NO machine will ever produce those old Colt pistols.  No multi axis machine can do what the human hand can.  They can do things the human hand cannot but fit and finish requires a man's hands.  

It would be NICE to see it again but don't wager on it.  

• Like 2

If I had the financial means and backing as well as the right location in the right portion of the Southeaster United States I'd do it. All Colt needs to be successful again is return to its core products. Colt used to make some fantastic revolvers with the New Service and Police Positive. With a modern CNC manufacturing facility they could become successful again.

New people, new ideas and products, classic products reborn but just buying the Colt name and reviving it into a trusted company could be a good business deal for a smart businessman willing to put quality over a few extra dollars.

The Colt name is what the money buys.  The make quality products-doesn't have to be what the "old" guys made, just quality.  Look at Harley Davidson:  Bought by AMF and they took quality down and spent little money on R&D and Marketing.   Went back private and look at them now--upped the quality and great marketing.  True, they are expensive to buy and maintain but people have bought into it.