Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

Man! This cool air this evening (while I was at work!  :rant:  ) was really getting me excited about Saturday morning!!! 

I've been battling real bad arthritis in my left wrist from a fracture years ago. Had injections years ago but it's wearing off. I'm in the stand now but it hurts like hell to pull a bow back. Guess I'm just gonna have to break down and get a crossbow. I'm scheduled for more injections but the doc wants to do surgery. If so it will be after deer season lol.

Sorry to hear that Shaun!

• Like 2

With this cold front rolling in I'm really regretting not participating in archery season.  I think anyone that has a half decent spot should see some deer this weekend.

I'm chomping at the bit to be out there in the morning! I want to hunt my stand but with the rain being so finicky, I may just hop in my blind so I don't have to worry about spooking any deer if it starts pouring and I have to come down.

I took the Grandsons out on the youth hunt (Cross Creeks) yesterday and all three tagged out in about 40 minutes. What an awesome day!

9d69c6fd-b364-43c5-bef8-10f7161d5772_zps

(L) Tyler (second deer) (Middle) Adam First Deer (R) Devin second deer (First Buck)

Tyler's doe went about 20 yards and the other two dropped where they stood with neck shots.

We were about a mile from the truck and Grandpa and Dad got put through the paces getting the deer out! We have lots of work to do this morning.

Have a blessed day

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 16
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, I took down two coyote a couple Sundays ago. I noticed something moving through the brush at about 60 yards and figured it was a coyote. I gave it a couple good lip squeaks but it disappeared, but couldn't help but try one more time. The dog, keeping hits head on a swivel, walked right under my stand. Just as it passed under some tree canopy I pulled the bow and waited for it to pass. But as they do all to often it turned and started down the hill. With one more little squeak it came to a stop. At 12 yards I let the arrow fly, and luckily it hit perfectly. Reloading the bow to finish the hunt (because it was prime hunting time) I noticed movement coming up the hill. It was another coyote looking for Harry (coyote #1). I pulled back just before it stepped out. Taking a broadside shot... arrow #2 hit the mark. Two just inside of ten minutes. That's hard to beat.

Then last Sunday a nice six came through, probably the same six I've seen a couple times, and I let him walk. Then a crazy looking nine came in. He had a nice body size but had a really ugly set of horns. I decided to let the Mathews eat. The first shot hit a small cluster of leaves. By small cluster I mean three. I was so fixed on the sights I didn't even see them. He spooked and ran toward me. The second shot hit the mark and he only ran about ten yards. Gotta admit it's been a good season so far.
  • Like 5

Well, I took down two coyote a couple Sundays ago. I noticed something moving through the brush at about 60 yards and figured it was a coyote. I gave it a couple good lip squeaks but it disappeared, but couldn't help but try one more time. The dog, keeping hits head on a swivel, walked right under my stand. Just as it passed under some tree canopy I pulled the bow and waited for it to pass. But as they do all to often it turned and started down the hill. With one more little squeak it came to a stop. At 12 yards I let the arrow fly, and luckily it hit perfectly. Reloading the bow to finish the hunt (because it was prime hunting time) I noticed movement coming up the hill. It was another coyote looking for Harry (coyote #1). I pulled back just before it stepped out. Taking a broadside shot... arrow #2 hit the mark. Two just inside of ten minutes. That's hard to beat.

Then last Sunday a nice six came through, probably the same six I've seen a couple times, and I let him walk. Then a crazy looking nine came in. He had a nice body size but had a really ugly set of horns. I decided to let the Mathews eat. The first shot hit a small cluster of leaves. By small cluster I mean three. I was so fixed on the sights I didn't even see them. He spooked and ran toward me. The second shot hit the mark and he only ran about ten yards. Gotta admit it's been a good season so far.

Without pictures in didn't happen lol
  • Like 1

ca62b6abad8ba77f2f7ebe4bc5ef5dd1.jpg3e5e3856f38adabe23e5ee5fa1cb1b5f.jpg
Told ya it was ugly horns.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot, that's pretty cool lookin! He probably wasn't ever gonna be prettier than he is now, might as well take him out of the gene pool. Make a cool European mount! Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 3
Well! Finally get a doe come within shooting range, shoot her at 20 yards, blood everywhere, runs right onto property of neighbor I've already had one argument with. Waited half an hour, not really wanting to go on this individuals property for obvious reasons. But decided I'd go for the sake of not wasting this deer! Went to his house and neighbors (via driveways) on both sides, not one answer. Looking out the window at me, I'm waving, and shut the curtain back. This is extremely frustrating, but with huge No Trespassing signs I'm not risking going to jail or getting into a serious altercation especially since I've seen they didn't want to talk to me. Edited by rugerla1

Well! Finally get a doe come within shooting range, shoot her at 20 yards, blood everywhere, runs right onto property of neighbor I've already had one argument with. Waited half an hour, not really wanting to go on this individuals property for obvious reasons. But decided I'd go for the sake of not wasting this deer! Went to his house and neighbors (via driveways) on both sides, not one answer. Looking out the window at me, I'm waving, and shut the curtain back. This is extremely frustrating, but with huge No Trespassing signs I'm not risking going to jail or getting into a serious altercation especially since I've seen they didn't want to talk to me.

Call the TWRA, I have heard of them retrieving deer in these situations.  I know of one such instance personally.  It's worth a shot so that the deer isn't wasted.

• Like 3

Call the TWRA, I have heard of them retrieving deer in these situations.  I know of one such instance personally.  It's worth a shot so that the deer isn't wasted.

I just went the house again, knocked and knocked. I can see buzzards swooping down to the same spot over and over back there.
To be honest, this old guy that let's me hunt this spot, I don't want to start neighbor trouble for him. It's been 5 hours since I shot her, sitting in the sun will she even be good now?