Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

Agreed that you should call twra, though it may be too late for this one.

That said, I've no idea why a property owner wouldn't want a hunter to get a deer that died on their property. It'll stink for weeks and attract critters they'd much rather not have around.
  • Like 1

Agreed that you should call twra, though it may be too late for this one.
That said, I've no idea why a property owner wouldn't want a hunter to get a deer that died on their property. It'll stink for weeks and attract critters they'd much rather not have around.

I agree. The longer I stood there at the property line, the more disgusted I got as the buzzards had their fill. Did I feed the ecosystem? Yeah, but because of whatever reasons, it was wasted as far as my harvest goes. I could get more mad about it, but it will do me no good right? Next time I'll call twra first thing. Been hunting there for over a decade and never had this happen, but hopefully it's the last time also.

Temperature wise I'd say it's right on the edge of spoilage, it's going to depend a lot on whether the carcass is in the sun or shade.  Not sure how I would feel about eating something buzzards have been eating on though.

I was thinking that it would be spoiled too since it was out in the sun the whole time. I also agree about the worry of buzzards eating on it and eating meat afterwards. It's a loss, and my mental state was crap after I got back to the stand for the third time today. Just packed up and left.

Remember guys, TWRA can only talk to the property owner. They CANNOT force the property owner to allow you on their property for deer recovery. However, most property owners will cooperate. No guarantee though. Me? Not telling you what to do....a night mission is in order.

Dave

Well! Finally get a doe come within shooting range, shoot her at 20 yards, blood everywhere, runs right onto property of neighbor I've already had one argument with. Waited half an hour, not really wanting to go on this individuals property for obvious reasons. But decided I'd go for the sake of not wasting this deer! Went to his house and neighbors (via driveways) on both sides, not one answer. Looking out the window at me, I'm waving, and shut the curtain back. This is extremely frustrating, but with huge No Trespassing signs I'm not risking going to jail or getting into a serious altercation especially since I've seen they didn't want to talk to me.

That is frustrating. There have been a couple of times bowhunting that I wished I had a string tied to my arrow so I could just reel 'em back in.

Remember guys, TWRA can only talk to the property owner. They CANNOT force the property owner to allow you on their property for deer recovery. However, most property owners will cooperate. No guarantee though. Me? Not telling you what to do....a night mission is in order.

Dave

Right. I wouldn't really want them to be able to force them. I wouldn't want them forcing me to let a stranger on my property either. That being said, if it was me, I'd want the hunter to retrieve his deer. But some people aren't hunters or answer their door even if someone is in camo. It really sucks, but it is what it is. No way I'd risk getting into a physical confrontation with someone after I trespassed or risk going to jail and losing my hunting rights either.

That is frustrating. There have been a couple of times bowhunting that I wished I had a string tied to my arrow so I could just reel 'em back in.

Yes it is. Think my arrow will fly with 100 yards of 5/16 cable attached to it? :rofl: At least the buzzards got to eat. After all Clint Eastwood said "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms".

• Like 1

I like seeing dead coyotes, but with the price of arrows and broadheads now, are they really worth it?

For me, it's worth it. Both my arrows were reusable but the broadhead blades will need to be replaced. Although I don't think coyote kill a ton of deer I do believe over a couple of years I've saved the life of at least three or four deer and maybe a couple of nice bucks.

For me, it's worth it. Both my arrows were reusable but the broadhead blades will need to be replaced. Although I don't think coyote kill a ton of deer I do believe over a couple of years I've saved the life of at least three or four deer and maybe a couple of nice bucks.

Good way of looking at it. :up:

I've not had the opportunity to hunt yet and was late getting cameras out but I'm hoping to get out a few evenings this week. Looks like is been a slow season so far. I have had a couple that I think are shooters show up on camera since I put them out 1.5 weeks ago so it gives me something to chase.

I am pretty certain that I'll take this one if given the opportunity.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

This one I'm unsure of. He's fairly tall but I can't tell much more about him.

IMG_2599.jpg

Went to Texas for hog hunting, stupid floods had them all running to high ground (hill country).... Ended up taking this dude when he stepped out. :)

TX_Buck_zpsz1pvulyr.jpg

Sorry the hog hunt was ruined but glad that buck gave the trip a silver lining! How wide is he?
  • 4 weeks later...