Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

Well today was the day I got the biggest deer of my life he was a 10 at some point this year but broke off two tines so he is a 8 point used the 25-45 Sharps that I put together the year

20151226_114352_zpsjzaldfsx.jpg

Congrats on the buck! His rack looks very much like the bigger of my 3 last year. beautiful deer.
  • Like 1

Well today was the day I got the biggest deer of my life he was a 10 at some point this year but broke off two tines so he is a 8 point used the 25-45 Sharps that I put together the year

20151226_114352_zpsjzaldfsx.jpg

Nice buck, you mounting him?  He would make a good european mount.

Nice buck, you mounting him? He would make a good european mount.

Not this one if the two tines would have not been broken off I would have a taxidermist bill just skull caped him and stick on the wall this is proof that lsnd management works we are growing some big deer now if we can figure out how to get them to move during the day here is a picture for reference i ware a size 8 hat

20151226_093145_zpsntk4lnl6.jpg

Not this one if the two tines would have not been broken off I would have a taxidermist bill just skull caped him and stick on the wall this is proof that lsnd management works we are growing some big deer now if we can figure out how to get them to move during the day here is a picture for reference i ware a size 8 hat

20151226_093145_zpsntk4lnl6.jpg

The DIY european mount I tried worked out pretty good, less than $30 for it and about $20 of that was the oak plaque.  Now that I have a basic idea of the plaque, my next one will be that much less.

Well I went out to my hunting site yesterday for the last day of deer season. I saw three doe early in the day with 2 being shootable. They never offered a shot and there was too many trees between me them. I thought I would have another shot at them possibly later in the evening. As evening wore on, I heard a lot of leaves rustling and thought they may be returning....instead a group of day hikers stopped about 20 yds from my blind and persisted to stop and chat. I stuck my head out of the blind because apparently they could not see it or did not care that I was hunting. One said he was sorry and they did trudge off and I am sure wasting my opportunity to get some venison in the ole freezer.

Well I went out to my hunting site yesterday for the last day of deer season. I saw three doe early in the day with 2 being shootable. They never offered a shot and there was too many trees between me them. I thought I would have another shot at them possibly later in the evening. As evening wore on, I heard a lot of leaves rustling and thought they may be returning....instead a group of day hikers stopped about 20 yds from my blind and persisted to stop and chat. I stuck my head out of the blind because apparently they could not see it or did not care that I was hunting. One said he was sorry and they did trudge off and I am sure wasting my opportunity to get some venison in the ole freezer.

Wow what a way to end the season. I hate that when you think a deer is about to step out and it turns out to be people. Bummer

I saw a flock of turkeys while sitting in the treestand, and that has me pumped for spring :)

I assume you are hunting public land? I have been very fortunate through out my life to always have permission to hunt more land properties than I could possibly ever hunt in a year and could have had more if I'd just asked. I've never had to worry about other hunters posting up in my spot or using my stand or hikers and such but that's never stopped me from getting frustrated every time I hear of it happening. Sorry to hear your season ended like that.

I assume you are hunting public land? I have been very fortunate through out my life to always have permission to hunt more land properties than I could possibly ever hunt in a year and could have had more if I'd just asked. I've never had to worry about other hunters posting up in my spot or using my stand or hikers and such but that's never stopped me from getting frustrated every time I hear of it happening. Sorry to hear your season ended like that.

Thanks for the kind words Luke. No, I was hunting on private land and that its what surprised me most about hikers on the last day to hunt Bambi.

Thanks for the kind words Luke. No, I was hunting on private land and that its what surprised me most about hikers on the last day to hunt Bambi.

Hmm,, in that case I think you had trespassers or hiking trespassers at best. The lack of respect and common courteousy I see out of my generation (assuming they were they average "hiking" age) is upsetting and embarrassing to me. They obviously gave not a second thought to marching imonto another man's property that he or she paid and worked for.
If you have private land to hunt you know you can hunt until the 8th for doe only. This may be old news but I didn't learn of it until About a week ago.

Hmm,, in that case I think you had trespassers or hiking trespassers at best. The lack of respect and common courteousy I see out of my generation (assuming they were they average "hiking" age) is upsetting and embarrassing to me. They obviously gave not a second thought to marching imonto another man's property that he or she paid and worked for.
If you have private land to hunt you know you can hunt until the 8th for doe only. This may be old news but I didn't learn of it until About a week ago.

Thats in unit L only and that is tge same thing my brother said when I told him i was hunting this afternoon

Luke unfortunately it is not MY private land so I do think my deer season is over.

Luke unfortunately it is not MY private land so I do think my deer season is over.

You don't have to be the land owner, it just can't be public/gov land so if you're in unit L you are good to hunt. Unless you're meaning that the owner has cut hunting off for the year.

You don't have to be the land owner, it just can't be public/gov land so if you're in unit L you are good to hunt. Unless you're meaning that the owner has cut hunting off for the year.

You sure about that, not questioning you, just would like some confirmation?  I wanted to take a friend out but I thought it was for the land owner only.  I wonder what the premise is for the extra week?  I figured it was more for ranchers to minimize crop loss, specially since its only the weekdays that are open.

You sure about that, not questioning you, just would like some confirmation?  I wanted to take a friend out but I thought it was for the land owner only.  I wonder what the premise is for the extra week?  I figured it was more for ranchers to minimize crop loss, specially since its only the weekdays that are open.

Luke I did also think that this extra week was only for land owners only. Can you confirm this?

I'm looking at it now it does not say land owner it says private land only unit L January 4 thru January 8 Antlerless deer only 3/day bag limit I was told by a TWRA Agent that i know that it was because not enough does were getting bread same reason given for the bag limit change to the buck limit here is what im seeing

20160106_123601_zpsoeop3byb.jpg

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/deer-seasons

Edited by raildog

Well folks, since I don't have a bow my deer hunting season is officially over. However, I have already scheduled my time off for the fall 2016 season, have purchased a shotgun for turkey season, and am considering getting a bow or crossbow so I can start my deer season earlier.

Yep, after 42 years on this earth, many of them wanting to start hunting, I have gotten the bug. Now I have a lot of catching up to do.

Well folks, since I don't have a bow my deer hunting season is officially over. However, I have already scheduled my time off for the fall 2016 season, have purchased a shotgun for turkey season, and am considering getting a bow or crossbow so I can start my deer season earlier.

Yep, after 42 years on this earth, many of them wanting to start hunting, I have gotten the bug. Now I have a lot of catching up to do.

Lagerhead, You might consider attending the Tennessee Classic in the Spring and actually make your own bow. Great bow makers are present to assist, free camping, free use of hand tools.