Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

Luke I did also think that this extra week was only for land owners only. Can you confirm this?

You can look at the wording in the hunter ref booklet, it says private land rather than land owners. The only mention of land owner was to say that they didn't have to posses the type 94 doe permit. I have no way to prove this to you but this has obviously been a source of confusion this year and the person running the TWRA FB page repeatedly confirmed that it was anyone hunting private land, not just the land owner.

I'm looking at it now it does not say land owner it says private land only unit L January 4 thru January 8 Antlerless deer only 3/day bag limit I was told by a TWRA Agent that i know that it was because not enough does were getting bread same reason given for the bag limit change to the buck limit here is what im seeing

20160106_123601_zpsoeop3byb.jpg

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/deer-seasons

Hmm, I wonder what not being bred has to do with it?  I figured it was an over abundance of does in unit L so culling was in the best interest of the herd.  If not enough get bred, that signals a shortage of deer and instead of culling, then you would want to protect the ones that have been bred so less doe quotas, no?

You can look at the wording in the hunter ref booklet, it says private land rather than land owners. The only mention of land owner was to say that they didn't have to posses the type 94 doe permit. I have no way to prove this to you but this has obviously been a source of confusion this year and the person running the TWRA FB page repeatedly confirmed that it was anyone hunting private land, not just the land owner.

Good enough for me, but I wish they would make regs a bit more user friendly instead of having us interpret our own meaning out of them.

Hmm, I wonder what not being bred has to do with it? I figured it was an over abundance of does in unit L so culling was in the best interest of the herd. If not enough get bred, that signals a shortage of deer and instead of culling, then you would want to protect the ones that have been bred so less doe quotas, no?

Good enough for me, but I wish they would make regs a bit more user friendly instead of having us interpret our own meaning out of them.

Oh I totally get it, al the quota/non quota this and that is nothing short of frustrating. They should be assuming that they're communicating with dumb a's like myself when writing the handbook. Why not just say, if your hunting "this" with "that" during "this" time, you'll need "that" permit, etc.

As far as this week being because of doe not being bred, first I've heard of that. The antler less bag limit reduction is an attempt at growing bigger bucks in tn by trying to make sure more of them reach maturity. I'm a firm believer that it will work and there will likely be a noticeable difference within 2 seasons.
The only reason I can think of that some for aren't being bred is if there is a lopsided doe/buck ratio in certain areas and the bucks just don't have time for all that. I can promise you that in my area we have a heavy buck population and there's really not enough doe to be killing many. The best thing that has come from this is that I've witnessed more aggression and competition between bucks than ever before. If you've never seen two buck square off in a food plot no more than 25yds from your blind, you're missing out!

Well got in the blind about 3:15 noticed that it was super quite the spot is always full of activity birds, squirrels, rabbits, and deer nothing today so as I set there this little guy walks up behind me and past me in the cut row 2 minutes after I pull the trigger birds start making noise and flying around two squirrels run down the red oak tree in front of me rabbits start cutting across the cut row they new he was there and did not want anything to do with him

20160106_173653_zpswalqprz0.jpg

Edited by raildog
  • Like 2

Well got in the blind about 3:15 noticed that it was super quite the spot is always full of activity birds, squirrels, rabbits, and deer nothing today so as I set there this little guy walks up behind me and past me in the cut row 2 minutes after I pull the trigger birds start making noise and flying around two squirrels run down the red oak tree in front of me rabbits start cutting across the cut row they new he was there and did not want anything to do with him

20160106_173653_zpswalqprz0.jpg

Good looking cat. If I've got the "spare cash" next time I take one I'm going to have s full mount done.

So my current understanding is that as long as I am hunting on private land, I can hunt a doe but not a buck in Unit L only. I may try to get out to the field tomorrow.

JUST REMEMBER THE SEASON ENDS AT 17:19 8 JANUARY 2016 (5:19 pm 1-8-2016)