Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

I tagged my second buck at 730 this morning. Thought he was an 8 point but he is missing a brow tine. The Lord has blessed me this season with 3 does, a 9 point and now this 7. Hate that I can't buck hunt anymore but I'll try to get my boy on his 1st deer and take a few does with the 6.8spc AR15.
1121150740_zpsgsyjw0dq.jpg

• Like 3

I tagged my second buck at 730 this morning. Thought he was an 8 point but he is missing a brow tine. The Lord has blessed me this season with 3 does, a 9 point and now this 7. Hate that I can't buck hunt anymore but I'll try to get my boy on his 1st deer and take a few does with the 6.8spc AR15.
1121150740_zpsgsyjw0dq.jpg

Nice buck. Congrats.
  • Like 1

I haven't touched a rifle this morning, but that's o.k. Little man got his first deer, a doe. 200+ yard shot. :up:

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_0096%202_zpsq12jqf9r.jpg.html]IMG_0096%202_zpsq12jqf9r.jpg[/URL]

Of course my ol' pappy comes by with this monster 8 he killed this morning.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_0032%202_zpsykheoq0y.jpg.html]IMG_0032%202_zpsykheoq0y.jpg[/URL]

Despite the hot weather and gale force winds here, it's been a good morning. Time to make the jerky! :no1:

I took off work next week, so maybe I'll get to hunt then.

• Like 6

Call the TWRA, I have heard of them retrieving deer in these situations.  I know of one such instance personally.  It's worth a shot so that the deer isn't wasted.

If you would have called TWRA soon enough they would have retrieved the deer for you so it would not go to waste. They would ask the land owner for permission for you to retrieve it and if they said no they would have went and got it for you. The land owner can tell you no but he cannot tell them no. They have jurisdiction on any land public of private period. I have heard of this happening several times in the past and there has been a couple times that the TWRA wardens retrieved the deer for the hunter and a few time the hunter agreed to donate the deer for the homeless shelters and for doing so it did not go as part of their bag limit for the season as the hunter didn't have to use a tag........ :up:

Well, today was a bust (not completely).  The rut is in full swing in Maury County and none of the deer even stopped for a single second.  All on the move and running.  I saw at least 7 or 8 does and 2 bucks and not one never paused a single second to get a shot off.  Then around 10AM a bush hog came in and started work.  I am on my uncles private proverty.   That pretty much sealed it.  To make matters worse on my way out I had a call from work as I am on call this weekend. The plus side to the story is that I took this coming week off work and will be hunting quite a bit and have until January 8th in Maury County (Unit L).  I let too many walk during bow season.  Good luck to all the hunters this rifle season! 

Well, today was a bust (not completely).  The rut is in full swing in Maury County and none of the deer even stopped for a single second.  All on the move and running.  I saw at least 7 or 8 does and 2 bucks and not one never paused a single second to get a shot off.  Then around 10AM a bush hog came in and started work.  I am on my uncles private proverty.   That pretty much sealed it.  To make matters worse on my way out I had a call from work as I am on call this weekend. The plus side to the story is that I took this coming week off work and will be hunting quite a bit and have until January 8th in Maury County (Unit L).  I let too many walk during bow season.  Good luck to all the hunters this rifle season! 

You would be surprised at how unafraid deer are of farm equipment, I've even seen them come to the sound of a tractor.  I'm sitting in thevbarn now, it's cold and the wind is blowing the wrong way but I'm not going to sit in the rain and make myself sick.  Had to work until 2 today.  I hope conditions are better tomorrow.

Well the new Sharps 25-45 Rifle did not fail me today but I need to go to the range more we have been watching this 5 point all season he would never get close enough for a shot but today he came in the same way he has every time I've seen him pulled up on him and he never slowed down i had the power set wrong on my optic shot and missed he turned and went back the direction he had came for about 30 yards then headed right toward where i was set up at a trot adjusted my optic to where it needed to be led him just a little bit shoot again missed to much lead he never changed his speed set up again shoot #3 was a hit right in the right front shoulder broke his leg but did not end him had to take a fourth shot in the neck so we got these geans out of the pool hope everyone had a good day and be safe in the morning

20151121_150338_zpsc9am02xx.jpg

• Like 3

Well the new Sharps 25-45 Rifle did not fail me today but I need to go to the range more we have been watching this 5 point all season he would never get close enough for a shot but today he came in the same way he has every time I've seen him pulled up on him and he never slowed down i had the power set wrong on my optic shot and missed he turned and went back the direction he had came for about 30 yards then headed right toward where i was set up at a trot adjusted my optic to where it needed to be led him just a little bit shoot again missed to much lead he never changed his speed set up again shoot #3 was a hit right in the right front shoulder broke his leg but did not end him had to take a fourth shot in the neck so we got these geans out of the pool hope everyone had a good day and be safe in the morning 20151121_150338_zpsc9am02xx.jpg

Congratulations!

Gonna be cold as hell in the morning but I'll be out there waiting for the sun to come up and then waiting for a monster!

I haven't touched a rifle this morning, but that's o.k. Little man got his first deer, a doe. 200+ yard shot. :up:
IMG_0096%202_zpsq12jqf9r.jpg
Of course my ol' pappy comes by with this monster 8 he killed this morning.
IMG_0032%202_zpsykheoq0y.jpg

Despite the hot weather and gale force winds here, it's been a good morning. Time to make the jerky! :no1:
I took off work next week, so maybe I'll get to hunt then.

Nice harvest, congrats!

Well the new Sharps 25-45 Rifle did not fail me today but I need to go to the range more we have been watching this 5 point all season he would never get close enough for a shot but today he came in the same way he has every time I've seen him pulled up on him and he never slowed down i had the power set wrong on my optic shot and missed he turned and went back the direction he had came for about 30 yards then headed right toward where i was set up at a trot adjusted my optic to where it needed to be led him just a little bit shoot again missed to much lead he never changed his speed set up again shoot #3 was a hit right in the right front shoulder broke his leg but did not end him had to take a fourth shot in the neck so we got these geans out of the pool hope everyone had a good day and be safe in the morning

20151121_150338_zpsc9am02xx.jpg

I don't think there was anything wrong with this deer's genes, he more than likely just wasn't old enough to have a big rack yet. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with this deer's genes, he more than likely just wasn't old enough to have a big rack yet. 

Agreed.  Lots of misconceptions around trying to control a deer populations genes.  Regardless I'm not going to criticize someones reason to harvest a deer but want to make sure they are informed.  Everyone decides to to harvest a deer for different reasons (food on the table, trophy hunter, etc.).  

https://www.qdma.com/articles/why-we-cant-manage-deer-genetics

Agreed.  Lots of misconceptions around trying to control a deer populations genes.  Regardless I'm not going to criticize someones reason to harvest a deer but want to make sure they are informed.  Everyone decides to to harvest a deer for different reasons (food on the table, trophy hunter, etc.).  

https://www.qdma.com/articles/why-we-cant-manage-deer-genetics

I will check myself.  I believe my comment came off as critical and I really didn't mean for it to. 

Might of not had bad genes but he was dumb as hell he keep running into bullets found that I actually hit him 3 times shot 4 and he keep walking in to them
  • Like 1

Got a button.  A 7 that I've seen several times came in on the trail of the doe I shot, then a button meet him from the opposite direction, they mingled for several minutes in some tall grass until the button finally have me a clear shot.  I've let that 7 walk 3 times now, it's starting to get a little easier, if he can make it to next year he may turn out to be a really nice deer.  He's got a good y'all rack, it's just narrow.

• Like 2

ruger,  was it windy?

Yes, pretty good gusts most of the time I was in the stand. 530-1030 and I had to come out because my wife volunteered me to help her friend move furniture. Again. It was unusually quiet in the woods to be honest, even the squirrels weren't running rampant.
Well I'm gonna HAVE to get some aperture sights now. I was headed back out to walk some timber with the 30-30 and met four coyotes in the big 300 acre field. Shot all my rounds and had to walk back to the house for more. Not one of them went down. May have grazed one. Really wishing I had the 300 blackout with me but I do now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, pretty good gusts most of the time I was in the stand. 530-1030 and I had to come out because my wife volunteered me to help her friend move furniture. Again. It was unusually quiet in the woods to be honest, even the squirrels weren't running rampant.

The are a lot of fox squirrels where I hunt.  I bigger concentration of them than anywhere else I've ever seen.  I had one in the tree right above me this morning and the little butthead crapped on me.  Felt and heard something hit the sleeve of my jacket and looked down to find a pea sized turd.  I think he was laughing at me. 

• Like 2