Inherited Guns

dats82

My father passed away a couple of months ago, and he had a few guns that my mother wanted me to take.  He did not have a large collections, and I have no idea of the worth of the ones he did have.  However, here are a couple that are "priceless" to me. 

S&W 38.  I'm not sure what the actual model is. Dad always said it was a Chief's Special.  It was my grandfather's gun, and dad said he bought it the first year they came out with the nickel guns in this model, whatever it is.  I have no idea if that story and description is accurate.  I'm sure I can date it with the serial number.  This is the first gun I ever shot, and it was without ear plugs.  I think I still suffer from that. 

[url=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/382_zpsihl2sxye.jpeg.html]382_zpsihl2sxye.jpeg[/URL]

[url=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/381_zpsjipn9juq.jpg.html]381_zpsjipn9juq.jpg[/URL]

Remington 512 Sportsmaster.  I have not seen a serial number on this gun, but I have not pulled the stock off or anything to look real hard.  The story on this gun is that my grandfather was a car dealer in Clarksdale MS and Paris TN.  Apparently, he did some work on this old man's car who couldn't pay.  My grandfather would have just done it for free, but back in those days, honest people didn't want a hand out.  This rifle was the only thing of any value that this man had to offer in trade.  According to my father, it looked like hell and wasn't worth anything close to the cost of the work, but my grandfather took more out of respect for the other man.  My father was in junior high or high school at the time, and my grandfather just gave the gun to him.  He took the gun to school to refinish the stock in shop class.  Nothing has been done with the metal, and it looks like a typical old gun of that era. 

[url=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/5521_zpsw0ypg9p0.jpeg.html]5521_zpsw0ypg9p0.jpeg[/URL]

[url=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/5522_zpsfldfbifj.jpeg.html]5522_zpsfldfbifj.jpeg[/URL]

I, of course, would trade these guns in a blink of an eye to have my dad back, but since that will never happen, I will be proud to have them and cherish them and hopefully pass them along to my own child one day. 

Edited by dats82
  • Like 1

The S&W "Chief's Special" you've pictured is the S&W Model 36. It is a J Frame, five round .38 Special and a lot of fun to shoot. I don't know if your fathers was amoung the first nickle plated versions released as I believe those had the older style wooden grips. FWIW S&W was producing nickle plated revolvers before the turn of the century. I'm pleased you recieved your fathers firearms and am certain you will treasure them

It's a wonderful thing to be the caretaker of the guns those we love and miss have left us. I have a few from both sides of the family and I wouldn't take anything for them.

It's a great joy to be able to take them out every once in a great while and shoot them.

Several of my guns are from my family that have passed on.  Yes priceless, lots of memories.  Sorry for your loss, but never sell those items.  Its a connection to the past, and if you have shot those with your loved ones, that is just awesome. 

TNWNGR, thanks for the information.  I may do some digging to figure out when this one was made, just for curiosity sake.  I am certainly no S&W expert.  In fact, this will make the only S&W I own or have ever owned. 

Edited by dats82