Waffle House refuses service to Uniformed, armed soldier

Not a place I would eat at even if they allowed guns. It doesn't say if they had a gun buster sign or not. If there was no sign on the door, he did the right thing and left.

If that was a personal sidearm he had while in uniform he may get some flack from his CO.

They have been off of my list since they posted.  Waffle House is just one of those places that you DON'T visit without a gun.  There are a bunch of weirdos and drunks there so you never know what could happen. 

Plus some of their food could get loose back in the kitchen, don't want to have to get rabies shots. 

• Like 2

I have a gripe about headlines like that.  It gives the impression that Waffle House has a company-wide policy, which is inaccurate.  It was a single restaurant owned by a moron.  When I was a LEO, I was never told to disarm at any of the Waffle House restaurants I ate at.  

Now, if one wants to gripe about the general policy prohibiting firearms (except for law enforcement), that is a different story.

• Like 3

Something just isn't right about this story.  :squint:  

Was the Naval Officer under orders to be armed while in uniform off base?  That is very rare in public, only done for security while transporting high value or sensitive items (or prisoners).  Also, when you are under orders to be armed off base (off post for us Army guys) its a point A to point B sort of thing, so side trips to a Waffle House isn't part of the plan. 

Or...., was this some member of the Navy who was OCing his personal firearm.  That would be against regulations.  No personal item can be worn as part of the uniform unless its on an authorized list (like personal sunglasses, watches, rings, etc., etc.).  I would also bet that the Navy has standing orders that its members cannot CCP or HCP while on duty and in uniform.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Something just isn't right about this story. :squint:

Was the Naval Officer under orders to be armed while in uniform off base? That is very rare in public, only done for security while transporting high value or sensitive items (or prisoners). Also, when you are under orders to be armed off base (off post for us Army guys) its a point A to point B sort of thing, so side trips to a Waffle House isn't part of the plan.

Or...., was this some member of the Navy who was OCing his personal firearm. That would be against regulations. No personal item can be worn as part of the uniform unless its on an authorized list (like personal sunglasses, watches, rings, etc., etc.). I would also bet that the Navy has standing orders that its members cannot CCP or HCP while on duty and in uniform.

I too smell something akin to yesterday's catch left in the sun. Edited by Chucktshoes

Something just isn't right about this story.  :squint:  

Was the Naval Officer under orders to be armed while in uniform off base?  That is very rare in public, only done for security while transporting high value or sensitive items (or prisoners).  Also, when you are under orders to be armed off base (off post for us Army guys) its a point A to point B sort of thing, so side trips to a Waffle House isn't part of the plan. 

Or...., was this some member of the Navy who was OCing his personal firearm.  That would be against regulations.  No personal item can be worn as part of the uniform unless its on an authorized list (like personal sunglasses, watches, rings, etc., etc.).  I would also bet that the Navy has standing orders that its members cannot CCP or HCP while on duty and in uniform.

DMark is right, something is wrong with this story.

• Like 1
East_TN_Patriot, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:07 PM, said:East_TN_Patriot, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:07 PM, said:East_TN_Patriot, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:07 PM, said:

I have a gripe about headlines like that.  It gives the impression that Waffle House has a company-wide policy, which is inaccurate.  It was a single restaurant owned by a moron.  When I was a LEO, I was never told to disarm at any of the Waffle House restaurants I ate at.  

Now, if one wants to gripe about the general policy prohibiting firearms (except for law enforcement), that is a different story.

Pretty sure the local Waffle Houses in Clinton / OR have the same policy.  Have heard several cops indicate they refuse to eat there.

Edited by R_Bert

The official WH corporate policy is no firearms, excluding law enforcement. It is my limited understanding that WH corporate lets the franchisees interpret and enforce that with some discretion, but I don't think corporate would be happy with banning LEO in one extreme or not enforcing the policy for civilians in the other extreme. I suspect franchisees need to to toe that line pretty close.

Assuming that the information provided in the link I posted above is true, I have no problem with them asking the guy to put his gun in the car. I'm actually surprised he's not persona non grata at that WH location, assuming again that the info in the link is true.

Edited by monkeylizard

Here's an update from the other side's perspective.

http://www.eater.com/2015/9/30/9423481/waffle-house-refused-serve-armed-soldier-owner-statement-guns

There are two sides to every story. Too bad the news station doing the video interview of him didn't have this piece of information.

In regards to the altercation a few weeks prior, his response was he that he was attacked in the parking lot, but he refused to press charges. If that is true, I sure don't blame him for being armed.

I doubt two off duty cops restrained him and removed him from the premises if he was defending himself; but it was 2AM anything could have happened. I would want to hear what those cops have to say.

Most Waffle Houses have posted for years, dunno what the big whoop is.

Lots of folks say many of the signs are not "legal" in TN because of their location and wording, so ignore them. Whatever. Point is, nothing new here just because a guy was in military uniform, seems to me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

No more Waffle House visits for me.

And before this Waffle House was on your list?

(1) Everything about WH turns me away from seedy locations, run down buildings, and nasty food...

(2) They are well known for their stance on guns and I've long made it an effort to not patronize business that don't welcome legal gun carry.

(3) Evey detail that comes out about this story stinks a bit more than their deep fryer....

I actually kinda like eating at Waffle House, sometimes.  The one where I usually go has no gunbuster, etc.  In fact, I don't recall ever seeing anything anywhere in the restaurant that even mentions firearms (as OS has said, I don't usually go to a restaurant to read.)  Therefore, as I am in violation of no law, my firearm stays concealed and no one has ever said the first thing to me about it.  Heck, a couple of years ago they even had an article posted on a bulletin board in their public area in which individuals were speaking in favor of gun rights, etc.  Now, I think they posted it because one of their regulars or someone otherwise affiliated with their location was interviewed in the article but still I have never felt that I or my firearm were unwelcome there.