FFL Transfers.....Is it just me?

CJDore

Bought a new pistol for the wife from Bud's and of course had to send to a FFL. When selecting which one to use, I saw some rather ridiculous prices. Franklin Gun shop was charging $70 ......to push some paper. Most seem to be around $35-40 which I also think is ridiculous. Nashville Pawn was lowest at $25. Anyone else noticed this escalation in FFT transfer fees?

Making me think that maybe I need to get my FFL license.

Update: Nashville Pawn did charge $25 for FFL transfer but added a $10 for TICs fee

Edited by CJDore
  • Like 3

They only cost $200; many of us would have them if it was as simple as paying for one. They now check local zoning laws and have requirements that you are actively selling. I can’t have one in Murfreesboro in my home; I would have to have a business with a storefront.

There are places that charge reasonable amounts. The places that have high charges don’t want your business.

If the Feds want to require them they should be free. They can pay the FFL holders to process them, or make it part of the requirements for a license.
  • Like 1

Try actually going into FGS if you want to see some high prices. They were packed the one time I wandered in so I guess they've got the clientele for it. $25+$10 TICS is what I usually pay at Guns & Leather, and that's only if I want something they don't have in stock. Their prices are pretty reasonable.

Complaining that Franklin Gun overcharges is like complaining about a politician telling a lie.
You know'd that before you went in that place. Won't surprise me a bit one day when they start charging a cover charge to walk in the door.

You're not wrong. I knew better and was still shocked.

Bought a new pistol for the wife from Bud's and of course had to send to a FFL. When selecting which one to use, I saw some rather ridiculous prices. Franklin Gun shop was charging $70 ......to push some paper. Most seem to be around $35-40 which I also think is ridiculous. Nashville Pawn was lowest at $25. Anyone else noticed this escalation in FFT transfer fees?

Two words:  Bellshire Hardware.  $20 per transfer.  

After your first transfer you are in their system.  You can call ahead when you head up there and they'll run your background while you are in transit.

I usually use Music City Pawn at $25 + $10 for background. The best this is they always call within 30 minutes of getting the gun in. I also recently used Saddle Shop for an outgoing at a good price and service.

I just picked up a transfer using Northside Gun Shop in Columbia for +15 +$10 for background and they accept transfers from private parties.

• Like 2

After your first transfer you are in their system.  You can call ahead when you head up there and they'll run your background while you are in transit.

I have a hard time believing they or anyone will run a background check on ones word that they'll be there shortly. Transfer or Purchase. That makes no sense. Every crook in the county or state could get a firearm under that umbrella. Somewhere along the way one has to fill out the paper work, answer the questions, sign the application and show a a piece of Valid Identification.

I have a hard time believing they or anyone will run a background check on ones word that they'll be there shortly. Transfer or Purchase. That makes no sense. Every crook in the county or state could get a firearm under that umbrella. Somewhere along the way one has to fill out the paper work, answer the questions, sign the application and show a a piece of Valid Identification.

And where in Pete's comment does he say that he no longer has to fill out the proper paperwork etc? They already have your info on file and run the background check before a "known" customer arrives....

$70 seems pretty high for sure, however consider that the FFL dealer is making $0 on your purchase and had to pay to get the FFL to begin with.    $10 of the transfer is the TICS check (TN uses its own state check instead of NICS, although they're linked).  The dealer pays this fee for every call or online check regardless of the outcome.  Additionally, to have an FFL you have to show that it's not just for you to bolster your own collection, i.e. you have to have a business.  In TN it doesn't have to be a storefront, but you have to register a business.  At the end of the day to register my LLC, pay for a zoning variance, pay for business licenses for the county and city, and all associated fees, plus get the FFL itself, it cost me over $1000 just to get in the door.  Now, if that FFL only earns money from his business (I have a day job) then you trying to save a few bucks buying online doesn't help him pay his bills or earn a living.  So he has to get it from somewhere, and a transfer fee recoups just a little bit of that time and expense.

I don't believe that's legal. The buyer has to be present, and have the paperwork filled out. That has to be in case the sheriff's dept wants to have a "chat" with the customer.

• Like 1

$70 seems pretty high for sure, however consider that the FFL dealer is making $0 on your purchase and had to pay to get the FFL to begin with.    $10 of the transfer is the TICS check (TN uses its own state check instead of NICS, although they're linked).  The dealer pays this fee for every call or online check regardless of the outcome.  Additionally, to have an FFL you have to show that it's not just for you to bolster your own collection, i.e. you have to have a business.  In TN it doesn't have to be a storefront, but you have to register a business.  At the end of the day to register my LLC, pay for a zoning variance, pay for business licenses for the county and city, and all associated fees, plus get the FFL itself, it cost me over $1000 just to get in the door.  Now, if that FFL only earns money from his business (I have a day job) then you trying to save a few bucks buying online doesn't help him pay his bills or earn a living.  So he has to get it from somewhere, and a transfer fee recoups just a little bit of that time and expense.

FGS is $70 (or more) plus $10 for the TICS. From their own website:

The transfer fee for most pre-owned guns is $50. For new guns, we generally charge $75-$100, depending on the value of the new item being transferred.

Nobody is disputing that the FFL should get a little scratch for their time and providing a legally necessary service. But market competition being what it is, $15-$25 seems to be the going rate around here for that fee (plus $10 for TICS which goes to the state). I'll pay up to $30 + TICS for someone in a convenient location. After that I'll drive a little out of my way for one of the $15 places.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
In the tri-cities you won't find better service and prices than TCSS in Kingsport. Michael is a great guy and a member here. He does transfers and can also order anything in stock from distributors like Davidsons etc. If he ever opens up a gun shop we'll have several dealers go out of business here.

And where in Pete's comment does he say that he no longer has to fill out the proper paperwork etc? They already have your info on file and run the background check before a "known" customer arrives....

He doesn't.  His comment leads one to believe they do this via a phone call, "Hey this is Pete, I'm on my way so go ahead run my stuff on the sweet whatever".  I actually think that would be against the law, but I am not a lawyer.  OTOH, Why do they have my info on file?  Even if I've bought several guns from them, why would they keep my info in a computer program?

I've bought several weapons from three local shops in town and about the same number from one shop 80 miles east of Memphis in the last few years and not one of them have me or my info in a computer program.  Each purchase is like they have never seen me before. 

Edited by Luap