FFL Transfers.....Is it just me?

CJDore

I've bought guns at Royal Range that were cheaper than Bud's - comparing prices straight up. Once you compare shipping and transfer vs. sales tax, Royal Range was a good bit cheaper. 

Bud's prices include shipping, so that's not a consideration.

- OS

Even though I am now in M'boro I still use Guns 'N More in Smyrna.  I will say that they are very competitive on pricing though.  The last time I transferred in an el-cheapo AR lower they had the same one there for nearly the same price OTD after you factored in shipping, etc.  If it is a common model of something you might want to call and check their on hand or ordering availability/price first.

• Like 1

Even though I am now in M'boro I still use Guns 'N More in Smyrna.  I will say that they are very competitive on pricing though.  The last time I transferred in an el-cheapo AR lower they had the same one there for nearly the same price OTD after you factored in shipping, etc.  If it is a common model of something you might want to call and check their on hand or ordering availability/price first.

Good people. 

For my chattanooga brothers, Anthony's Armory in Redbank charges $20 plus $10 BGC. He does a lot of transfers and knows the business.

I've had many guns transferred to me over the years. Generally because I was looking for AKs and AK receivers for builds and so forth. 

Some dealers are familiar with transfers and do them regularly and others do not, that's my first question when shopping a local dealer, if he doesn't do them as a matter of course.......I walk. 

Our Bud's store charges $20+10.....fair enough.

Another happy customer here! I went into FGS almost 20 yrs ago. Long drive from whitehouse back then. Looked around and found most Glocks at $625. Any store in Nashville then had highest price of $499. $459-479 avg. Never ever stepped foot in there again. I figure that folks with money to burn after leaving the Governers club with free drinks must shop there !
Most transfers around I find are $20-25 plus tics. They are responsible if a bad s/n firearm gets shipped in or if a bad guy try's to slip the system. I have been at a store where the guy behind the counter smelled alcohol on customers breath and refused to sell him firearm. Guy said he had a beer with his lunch! Another time guy was clearly buying for his friend because of conversation and clerk refused to sell after a few questions.
After a shooting, the gun store is usually the second stop fer law inforcement. So to charge $25 I'd say is fare. 10 yr storage of paperwork.

Be safe,
Mike

Bought a new pistol for the wife from Bud's and of course had to send to a FFL. When selecting which one to use, I saw some rather ridiculous prices. Franklin Gun shop was charging $70 ......to push some paper. Most seem to be around $35-40 which I also think is ridiculous. Nashville Pawn was lowest at $25. Anyone else noticed this escalation in FFT transfer fees?

Making me think that maybe I need to get my FFL license.

Update: Nashville Pawn did charge $25 for FFL transfer but added a $10 for TICs fee

Some shops in some states wont even take them from buds. Often they up the price to make up for the lost sale.

I've bought guns at Royal Range that were cheaper than Bud's - comparing prices straight up. Once you compare transfer vs. sales tax, Royal Range was a good bit cheaper.

Edit: forgot about the shipping being included in Bud's prices.

Bud's also doesn't charge sales tax for TN residents. So FFL charge could be added to local price to get apples to apples but the local price would still have the TN sales tax.

Fighting Sheep Dog is the cheapest I know of local to knoxville. If they haven't changed its $20 total. $10 for TICS and $10 for the shop. And they are a vendor here

Sent from behind the anvil

Yeah Spots, we're still $10 for the firearm and $10 for the background check. We decided from the day we opened that we'd never punish a customer for finding a better deal elsewhere.

Some of our local competitors actually charge a percentage of what you paid for the gun for the transfer! That's none of their business!

• Like 3

Some shops in some states wont even take them from buds. Often they up the price to make up for the lost sale.

That's crazy. We do about a dozen a day from Bud's, KY Gun Co, etc. That's an extra 12 customers each day that come in that might not have known about us otherwise. Hello? Free advertising?

SMH.

• Like 4

That's crazy. We do about a dozen a day from Bud's, KY Gun Co, etc. That's an extra 12 customers each day that come in that might not have known about us otherwise. Hello? Free advertising?

SMH.

This is the EXACT business mindset all shops should have!!!  If they walk inside your store, for whatever reason, you benefit.  

• Like 2

This is the EXACT business mindset all shops should have!!! If they walk inside your store, for whatever reason, you benefit.

Many, many retailers will contradict this sentiment. Many bricks and mortar stores have become showrooms for online businesses. The smartest way to compete is not necessarily to make things easier for your customers to buy from your competitors.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many, many retailers will contradict this sentiment. Many bricks and mortar stores have become showrooms for online businesses. The smartest way to compete is not necessarily to make things easier for your customers to buy from your competitors.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and I disagree with them

• Like 1

and I disagree with them

:up: The internet is here to stay, look what it's done to Christmas shopping. If the local gun shop wants to charge prices like Gander and Cabela's they better except the fact customers are going to shop Bud's. I try to give my local guys first shot at pricing any gun I'm looking for if they can come pretty close in price , I will buy from them and not go through the hassle of ordering on line. I would rather see the local guy make a few $ and we all walk away happy. But if they try to jack up the FFL fee to make it harder for me I just find another place to spend my money.

Edited by crossfire

I don't mind fees up to $35 for the transfer.  The gun shop I frequent most has great prices, seldom on handguns is there much of a markup over what I can get online, so I understand they are trying to recoup some margin which is fine with me.  I almost always try to buy from a small shop, but sometimes I cant get what I need/want locally so I have to go online.

One things for sure though, establishing a good relationship with a local shop can have all kinds of awesome benefits when you need something.

• Like 3