I thought Maryland was so bad that you couldn't even transport a handgun unloaded and stored if you weren't licensed and the guns registered.  Even if Maryland was not your destination, I have heard that they don't seem to respect FOPA if they catch you traveling through the state.  There have also been reports of their troopers specifically targeting out-of-state travelers looking for guns.

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that Maryland ranks right below New Jersey and New York in terms of victimizing gun owners.

If you take I40 to Knoxville then I81 through Virginia to I66 to Baltimore that limits the amount of states traveled through. I believe Virginia will honor your HCP so the only issue is Maryland. Don't know the laws up there so you might want to search them yourself.

• Like 1

....so the only issue is Maryland. Don't know the laws up there so you might want to search them yourself.

I assure you there is no good news whatsoever regarding a Tennessean having a loaded firearm in MD, and since you aren't traveling according to FOPA, even unloaded with ammo in separate locked container could be problematic.

Can you not go to Detroit instead? Equally dangerous, but at least you could pack. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

You might read this from the NRA:  https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/maryland/

Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person.  It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

• To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
  • Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
  • While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
  • By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster.  An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.

I suggest you know where and have in writing the location(s) of ranges.  There is one in Timonium MD just north of Baltimore called Continental Arms.  You might even go and keep your receipt as proof.  You could also call the MD State Police and ask.

• Like 1

You might read this from the NRA:  https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/maryland/

Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person.  It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

• To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
  • Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
  • While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
  • By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster.  An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.

I suggest you know where and have in writing the location(s) of ranges.  There is one in Timonium MD just north of Baltimore called Continental Arms.  You might even go and keep your receipt as proof.  You could also call the MD State Police and ask.

Yep. Firearm aficionado's paradise all right.

- OS

I'll keep researching and anyone else who can provide more insight would be a real help. Thanks

Note also that both MD's and Baltimore's knife laws are so gray that you're basically guilty if they want you to be. Note Freddy Gray as recent example.

- OS

• Like 1

It looks like you can take your handgun directly from your house in TN to your house in Maryland but you don't want to just be driving around with an unloaded handgun in your car in MD.  Or you can take your handgun in MD directly from your house to the range.  It doesn't look as bad as NY where a non resident can't even have a handgun there for the most part.

It looks like you can take your handgun directly from your house in TN to your house in Maryland but you don't want to just be driving around with an unloaded handgun in your car in MD.  Or you can take your handgun in MD directly from your house to the range.  It doesn't look as bad as NY where a non resident can't even have a handgun there for the most part.

In New York, even as a resident if you do not have a New York pistol permit you cannot even physically touch a pistol.  The pistol permit classes in order to be able to buy a pistol involve BB guns and blue guns.  Different world.  I used to belong to a hunting camp in the Adirondack Mountains and the area puts the Smokies to shame.  Beautiful region, great people, just 3-4 hours north of NYC.  Most of the people in NY who don't live in NYC, Rochester, Buffalo or Albany are very conservative.  For the most part, our New York brothers have given the middle finger to their misguided elected officials... look at how few people registered their guns for the SAFE Act.

With respect to Maryland, just don't let yourself be an easy target.  If you drive on the beltway and have confederate flag stickers, "keep honking I'm reloading" or other crap like that, you could get targeted by an overzealous cop.  Do the speed limit, don't stop unnecessarily and use your head.  I spent 30 years living in New England and the Northeast.  The people that get in trouble are generally Darwin award winners.

• Like 1
Definitely going to echo what Rgaper said.

I travel by car to and from NYC occassionally during 4 day weekends, I cut through WV, into MD and through NJ and NY.

Do not make yourself a target. When I travelled with my Mustang I only got pulled over once in 8 round trips - and that was in NYC for tints, but they let me go when I showed them TN Registration and a Mil ID.

No confederate flag or "the south will rise again" swag everywhere. Never go more than 5 over.

Ive never had any trouble. Stay alert stay alive.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Damn, and I thought The Peoples Republic of Illinois was bad. I'm just glad I have no reason to go to that part of the country.

We had a saying when I lived in South Florida, "Happiness is a French Canadian heading north with a New Yorker under each arm".

Edited by crossfire

In the past, I've always packed a pocket knife in my checked baggage on the flight, to carry while in Baltimore. From what I remember of their knife laws, as long as there are no auto or spring assisted mechanisms in the knife, then I was ok (the blade is of a reasonable length). I would appreciate it if you could shed light on the gray areas of their knife laws that may help me refine what I carry as a pocket knife there too.
Freddy Gray was in possession of a knife that was "mistakenly" identified as an auto knife or switchblade. Sure, they could hassle me and check my knife, but with me being different looking than Mr. Gray and not a known criminal and not in a high crime area, I'd expect a different outcome. Worst case, I guess, is I get a "rough ride" too and my family gets 6 million bucks- kidding. The trial for those officers is just about to start or has just started.
At this point, ive decided transporting a handgun is too risky with the handgun permit holders being targeted based on their license plate. Its not worth the potential hazard it would present to my family if we are stopped by an over-zealous officer.
I plan to roll with an unloaded shotgun unless I come to realize that is an equally bad idea.
My first choice of shotgun, I think, would be considered an "assault shotgun" based on the list in their assault weapons law of 2013 (because its both semi automatic, black, and scary looking), so I'm planning on rolling with a field grade Rem. 1100, 26" bbl, with no plug in the tube, and to know the location and hours of the nearest trap shooting range that I'll be planning to attend on my arrival.
Any additional info is appreciated.

Why no plug? If you plan on using trap shooting as a reason for the shotgun why would you even think about removing the plug?

Edited by crossfire

I think what crossfire meant was that if you're using "I'm going trap shooting" as the cover story for why you have a shotgun, then you wouldn't need more than 2. Most trap/skeet ranges prohibit more than 2 being loaded at a time.

This :up:. I would travel with the plug in. :2cents:

Edited by crossfire