Which flashlight is the best?

I know, loaded question. I'm looking for a smaller light, with crispness(not sure that's the right word) being #1 priority. If possible, I'd like something to reach out 100 yards and I be able to accurately see/make it out. I have some lights that are bright, but I can't really "see" it. I've looked at and like the Surefire defender E2D, is this a good light? Is there something better?

I searched and didn't see a thread, if there is just point me to it.

Streamlight all the way.  I've owned multiple Streamlight products, carried them as a LEO, and have never had a problem.  On the few occasions i have contacted them for product info, they have been excellent about replying in a short amount of time.

Not so with Surefire.  I have owned two Surefire lights, both failed in a VERY short amount of time, and I am still waiting (several years later) for a reply to my multiple inquiries for warranty service.  

I have a myriad of lights, most surefire and never an issue with any of them.  I never needed customer service so I don't know about that part but the lights themselves have been great.  The led versions I have work decent but the ones with xenon bulbs are brighter, but of course eat batteries.

Okay, you've got me stumped. What would one do with a flashlight that requires it to reach out to 100 yds?

I'm a lineman for the local power company, and it would save me a lot of steps in the middle of the night if I can see if a line is up or down. It may be too much to ask from a small light, I'm basically trying to get two lights in one I guess, one small enough to carry at home or in the woods but bigger enough for the distance.

If cost is a concern, check out the Defiant line of lights at Home Depot.  I've got one of the 3D lights and while it's big, output is huge.  100yds is no problem at all.  I think it was $30.  They've got a 3C version with slightly lower output would be a bit easier to carry around. 

Streamlight and Fenix get my money. My Streamlight Protac 2L is 260 lumens and easy to carry in a pocket. I'm very happy with it. I have a couple of tiny Fenix E01 lights that I keep in my cars' ash trays for quick access. Not super bright, but that's not why I got these tiny E01s. I'm impressed with the build quality so I'd have no problem getting a larger, more capable light from Fenix.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
I have more flashlights than my wife can comprehend. I think those blackout FOBs in Afghanistan did a number on my psyche about being in the dark. I have the E2D and the 6PX (im fairly certain thats the nomenclature) and both are great. I every day carry a streamlight protac 2L because i am prone to losing expensive things but cheap stuff will survive forever. Its a great light though, I use it every day. I also like that it will go down to 10 lumens if I need to read something. I would rate the 2L at 40 yards (easy). The only light my eyes can see at 100 yards clear is my Streamlight TLR1 HL. Its almost 600 lumens. Really too much light for a taclight. It sounds like you need something like that or a spotlight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm a lineman for the local power company, and it would save me a lot of steps in the middle of the night if I can see if a line is up or down. It may be too much to ask from a small light, I'm basically trying to get two lights in one I guess, one small enough to carry at home or in the woods but bigger enough for the distance.

That makes perfect sense. There's always a scenario that I never think of until someone explains it to me.

I can't say enough good things about my LA Police Gear Operator L2 . I couldn't ask for anything more for the money. It's easy on batteries too.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=RexDjQAL1y8[/media]

That makes perfect sense. There's always a scenario that I never think of until someone explains it to me.

I can't say enough good things about my LA Police Gear Operator L2 . I couldn't ask for anything more for the money. It's easy on batteries too.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=RexDjQAL1y8[/media]

Have that one too, well my wife does.
  • Like 1
Streamlight stylus pro is what I EDC in my pocket every day. On all our service trucks we run the big streamlight rechargeables can not complain about run time or service life we hard on them and the only one I've had to replace in the last 4 years got run over by a locomotive at a derailment site it still worked just could not get back in the charger

If you're looking "on the cheap" so far I'm happy with my Solarforce light.

It's a surefire 6p copy and uses the P60 style drop-in.

I bought it on Ebay from china for under 30 bucks.

Its a L2m and the drop-in is a Xpg single mode .8-4.2v because I'm running it single cell like the old 3p.

Think its rated at 320lumens ? don't know but its pretty doggone bright.

They're kinda like legos you can build em to suit you're needs and they seem to be of good quality.

I'm know this light will reach 100 yards well enough to tell if it's a dog or coyote. Whether it will show a power line or not I'm not sure.  I'll test mine tonight and get back to you. It's a Convoy M2. The entire Convoy line gets good reviews for quality at Budget Light Forum.  Cost is $22. It's a little brighter than my Solarforce L2m, but maybe I have a different bulb than the above poster.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1856708-convoy-m2-1-cree-xm-l2-u2-1a-1067lm-2-group-3-5

This Convoy C8 will reach out farther, but the beam is narrow. It could be just what you want for distance, but it's not a great all-around light.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/3398408-convoy-c8-1-cree-xm-l2-u2-1a-2-group-3-5-mode

You'll also need an 18650 battery. These Trustfire Flames are good when you get them from a trusted source, like FastTech. 

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000377/1053200-trustfire-tf18650-3-7v-3000mah-protected

I've also ordered one of their cheap flood-to-throw adjustable beam lights, but it hasn't arrived yet. 

You'll need a charger like this one.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000781/1068003-trustfire-tr002-lithium-battery-charger

Total cost will be about $40. I have a Convoy M2 and two of their S2s. The S2 is a wide beam and won't be what you need at 100 yards. At these prices, you can afford to buy more than one light. I have about 10 of various sizes for the car, bedside, dog walking, and checking out noises at our gate 120 yards from the house.

EDITED: Oh, you can run any of these 18650 battery lights on 2 CR123's instead, but it will get pricey. 

Edited by jgradyc
I'm a Surefire guy through and through. They can take a beating and customer service is fantastic. I've spend more on them than I want to think about. On the other hand Streamlight, Fenix, and Inova are also good in my experience.

Depending on what you want to pay, the polymer bodied Surefires would be a good starting point. Past that it comes down to what you want to pay. Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1
Surefire backup will do as you need. I was an electrician and used it daily, not a lineman but still. Bigger the better obviously but backup stayed in my pocket and was always there. Keep an eye on batteries though. That thing was like having a built big block Chevy with a 5 gallon gas tank. Ok maybe not that bad but close.

reviews on the Finex PD35 look pretty good, I might try it.

If ya like the Fenix PD35, ya might want to check one of these out... I've got one and i like it as well as the Fenix (...i like them too...)...

They are on sale here... http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-p12-smo-xml2.html

I do a lot of business with these guys, they are straight and these lights are good ones... Buy without hesitation...

leroy

• Like 2