Which flashlight is the best?

I've had two Surefire lights. The first one I bought ten years ago and has endured duty in Iraq and Afghanistan with zero issues.

Because of that as well as the great customer I've seen buddies have I bought my second Surefire light. I never have a concern about my lights working in any condition.

I went outside tonight with my flashlights to see which ones might meet your criteria. 

The Home Depot Defiant 3 C cell lit up the telephone pole and wires at 140 yards like a Christmas tree. It would have worked farther, but that's the farthest pole from my driveway so I didn't test it any farther. For indoors, it's useless. It's big, heavy, and way too bright to shine on anything up close. To use it indoors, you'd have to bounce the light off the ceiling.

The Convoy M1 just barely made the lines visible at 140 yards. The lines were definitely visible at 50-70 yards. The M1 is fine indoors on medium or low power. The Convoy S2 was a nice wide beam and great indoors on low power, but it barely reached 50 yards to show the power line.

Amazingly, the little Sipik SK68 zoom would almost reach 120 yards on full zoom with a AA battery and did reach with a 14500 3.7v rechargeable battery. The beam was only as wide as my thumbnail at arm's length, but it did barely reach the pole well enough to see if the line was attached. The Sipik SK68 is about $5. The problem is that a lot of knock offs of the SK68 are sold and some aren't very good. Oh, and the battery only lasts about 10 minutes on full power, but you might not need it for ten minutes. I'll see if I can find a source for them.

I went outside tonight with my flashlights to see which ones might meet your criteria. 

The Home Depot Defiant 3 C cell lit up the telephone pole and wires at 140 yards like a Christmas tree. It would have worked farther, but that's the farthest pole from my driveway so I didn't test it any farther. For indoors, it's useless. It's big, heavy, and way too bright to shine on anything up close. To use it indoors, you'd have to bounce the light off the ceiling.

The Convoy M1 just barely made the lines visible at 140 yards. The lines were definitely visible at 50-70 yards. The M1 is fine indoors on medium or low power. The Convoy S2 was a nice wide beam and great indoors on low power, but it barely reached 50 yards to show the power line.

Amazingly, the little Sipik SK68 zoom would almost reach 120 yards on full zoom with a AA battery and did reach with a 14500 3.7v rechargeable battery. The beam was only as wide as my thumbnail at arm's length, but it did barely reach the pole well enough to see if the line was attached. The Sipik SK68 is about $5. The problem is that a lot of knock offs of the SK68 are sold and some aren't very good. Oh, and the battery only lasts about 10 minutes on full power, but you might not need it for ten minutes. I'll see if I can find a source for them.

wow, thanks.

I just bought this Sipik clone light tonight because it has glass optics and 3 modes.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10008176/1730001-sk-68-1-cree-xp-e-q5-300lm-3-mode-cool-white

and this one

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000423/1045600-x2000-flood-to-throw-zooming-glass-optics-cree-p4

and these 14500 (AA sized 3.7v) batteries for the little one

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10000523/1084200-trustfire-14500-3-7v-900mah-protected

Unfortunately, because I ordered batteries, they have to be shipped around-about ways so I probably won't get them for 3-4 weeks. 

My EDC is this little guy.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000518/1052605-trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-230lm-memory-l

Rayovac is the way to go.  It has the best automatic features, it will raise your bloodpressure at the right optimum moment you need the light.  It will cause the best preacher man to cuss, at first under his breath, but moments later with long outburst.  Finally, it will train your eyes to work in the dark.  My grandmother always had a good ole Rayovac at her side.

Me personally, I didn't like those auto features, I just use Surefire.

If you decide to buy the lights and batteries from Fasttech, place two separate orders. The flashlights will arrive in two weeks or less. The batteries will take about 3-4 weeks. I messed up and placed the order together so my lights will be delayed getting here. The Sipik clone can be run on AAs until the 14500 batteries and charger arrive. In fact, a AA battery is fine for indoors or walking at night, provided you don't walk longer than 15 minutes. It will dim noticeably after 2 minutes and then hold steady for 10 minutes, then drop off in brightness.

I have another light that stays at a steady brightness and then just... stops... when the battery gets too weak.  Not good for walking the dogs at night! 

• Like 1

I have 3 Fenix lights that are great. My PD35 crapped out because I left the batteries in too long and they leaked. I called Fenix and they sent me a new battery carriage at no cost even though it was my fault. Problem solved. All the lights everyone mentioned are good but my customer experience with Fenix keeps me a loyal customer. I only use rechargeables now.

Edited by Tuffus

I have had my Klarus XM-L-U2 for about 4 years. My St Bernard decided to eat it one day and has teeth marks on it and it still works. That also covers the water proof test due to slobber. I also left in pants and wife washed and dried it and still works. I have had it covered in radiator fluid and it still works. And it is 580 lumens and will light up a wide path. It comes with a pressure pad cap.  It runs on 18650 battery which I have 2 that I rotate out charging with and in all these years have never had issues. It also has 3 modes as well as strobe. You can get it locally from a great guy who is a local business owner and Metro Swat Officer http://www.maxprotactical.com

• 4 weeks later...

That makes perfect sense. There's always a scenario that I never think of until someone explains it to me.

I can't say enough good things about my LA Police Gear Operator L2 . I couldn't ask for anything more for the money. It's easy on batteries too.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=RexDjQAL1y8[/media]

I was also looking for a good light that's very bright and durable, but not too big and bulky that I wouldn't want to carry it on my belt. I like the looks and features of the LA Police Gear Operator L2, but I was torn between that one and the Streamlight Protac 2L. So....I ordered them both. :) When I get them in I'll do a side by side comparison and post it here.

• Like 1

I am a flashlight addict.  I have mostly Surefire and Streamlight.   Surefire is rock solid but sooooo expensive and streamlight is a lot of bang for the buck.

Something I can say about Surefire is their customer service.  I had an Aviator that had some issues so I sent it back 3 times.  That was very aggravating but it gets better.  On the 3rd time I was worn out on spending my money on tracking so I just sent it regular mail without tracking.  I know that was stupid but I was so tired of $15 to ship.  When I called Surefire, they never got it or the guy in the mail room enjoyed my Aviator.  Customer service listened to my story apologized for my inconvenience and sent me a brand new Aviator free of charge.  THAT IS SOLID!  

• Like 1
I have a Greg Mcgee light that I won in a giveaway. It uses rechargeable 18650 batteries and with the upgraded 1200 lumen head it is insane. I use it for a weapon light right now, but it's stupid bright and will throw a beam good enough to light up a coyote at 200 plus yards. He also has a light called the lineman, it's about 500 lumens and is designed to do exactly what you need.

http://www.shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/MC-G33-XM-LIMITED-037.htm

That's the light I've got. The lineman is listed on his page.

Sent from behind the anvil

I am a flashlight addict.  I have mostly Surefire and Streamlight.   Surefire is rock solid but sooooo expensive and streamlight is a lot of bang for the buck.

Something I can say about Surefire is their customer service.  I had an Aviator that had some issues so I sent it back 3 times.  That was very aggravating but it gets better.  On the 3rd time I was worn out on spending my money on tracking so I just sent it regular mail without tracking.  I know that was stupid but I was so tired of $15 to ship.  When I called Surefire, they never got it or the guy in the mail room enjoyed my Aviator.  Customer service listened to my story apologized for my inconvenience and sent me a brand new Aviator free of charge.  THAT IS SOLID!  

... and an indication of how much margin they're making. 

The Fenix PD 20 is part of my EDC. One of my fishing buddies gave it to me about a year ago. I can see out to 100 yards with it fairly decent. It's a nice light, and I'm happy with it, especially, since it was free. If I ever had to replace the Fenix I would want a smaller light.

One thing I don't like about the the PD20 is having to manually twist the bulb end of the light, from low mode, into turbo mode. Then, having to click the button to activate the strobe light. I'd rather be able to "click" through low, turbo, and strobe.

I like my gear to have more than one purpose. The constant SOS mode could save my life one day. Edited by Mwhiskey