- New NRA Member ... What Magazine To Get?!

Zeke311

I get the American Hunter mag as a digital issue, and signed up for the emails which vary but most have gun reviews, sporting news and yes, many political columns.  You can change what mag you get also, so try which ever sparks your interest then switch to see which one you prefer.

American Rifleman here, but I wish their Shooting Illustrated was a choice.  I find Shooting Illustrated to be a good rag.  Its a NRA owned mag, but its not even a choice as a member.  So I guess their marketing campaign snared me, because I have both. 

we get both. 

they both are full of "give us money" and commercials.  They actually just duplicate the spam articles rather than write 2 of them.

hunter is full of dead animals.   I find it depressing... they cover a lot of trophy hunting of things that probably should not be shot at anymore -- there was some azzhat in the last one shooting at elephants.

rifleman is full of random firearms of all types.  It varies from boring to decent depending on what things interest you.  I find about 10-15% of it worth reading each month.

• Like 1

I get American Rifleman, but the most I do is skim and rarely wind up reading any of it.

I'd send em a crisp new Grant if i could guarantee they'd quit sendinge paper mail and email 3 times a week.
Wonder if I became a lifetime member if they would still send me a renewal notice every two weeks?

Oh how I wish I got the mailers. They call me constantly wanting money, sometimes multiple times a week... I'm all for the cause but I eventually had to threaten that I wouldn't renew if they didn't stop calling. I asked politely on multiple occasions to just be notified when my membership was going to expire but they still kept calling, so I had to get my feathers ruffled and take it out on some poor gal to make sure it happened.

• Like 1

I get American Rifleman, but the most I do is skim and rarely wind up reading any of it.

Oh how I wish I got the mailers. They call me constantly wanting money, sometimes multiple times a week... I'm all for the cause but I eventually had to threaten that I wouldn't renew if they didn't stop calling. I asked politely on multiple occasions to just be notified when my membership was going to expire but they still kept calling, so I had to get my feathers ruffled and take it out on some poor gal to make sure it happened.

Been there, done that. You get put on a list and that list goes to the people that do the calling and mailing. Good luck getting off and staying off that list. When you call the NRA the poor gal that answers the phone gets all the flack, but she can flag your account and hopefully the calls will stop. Until your account gets added back to the list. :)

Edited by crossfire

I'd send em a crisp new Grant if i could guarantee they'd quit sendinge paper mail and email 3 times a week.
Wonder if I became a lifetime member if they would still send me a renewal notice every two weeks?

Worked for me.

Became a Life member 12 or 14 yrs. ago and only get an occasional ILA solicitation.

Life membership only removes the renewal notices.  You get the rest of it, if not MORE of it, afterwards.   I think I will stop there before I say what I really think about the current leadership/behavior pattern.

• Like 1

Well I get 1st. Freedom which is 90% political but they do have some cool covers sometimes. :)

With all the gripes we have with the NRA sometimes, I can't imagine where we would be if they didn't exist to pressure and scare politicians. 

I think they could save money for their agenda if they did reduce the amount of donation requests sent by mail, just put them on a page or two in their magazines. Oh yea, they already do that also.