Windows 10

The browser is half the OS. It wouldn’t make sense to switch to 10 and then hose half the system by installing different browsers. I’m going to give EDGE the benefit of the doubt until there is evidence otherwise. Apps have to be able to run in 10; not the other way around.

The browser is half the OS. It wouldn’t make sense to switch to 10 and then hose half the system by installing different browsers. I’m going to give EDGE the benefit of the doubt until there is evidence otherwise. Apps have to be able to run in 10; not the other way around.

IE was built integrated into OS also, couldn't even remove it at all until lawsuit made them "unbundle" it in XP.  And of course it implemented web codes that weren't part of the standards, and has always had glitches.

So not surprising EDGE has its own set up oddities too.

The quote button doesn't work if I click on it the reply area is empty, I have to use the multi quote for it to transfer the info into the reply area, the browser in Microsoft Edge

So try FireFox. Or maybe Chrome. Will indicate is something in just the EDGE part or more basic in the OS.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Really? Just download Chrome. It works fine. 

Not a tech person at all, anyone who knows me has found that out. lol

So most of the preceding comments went right over my head.

I will hold on with what I have now until forced to change. Then I'll have to find someone to help get me up to date I'm sure.

• Like 1

I was browsing the web and read an article on Edge. Apparently, it has some problems rendering pages that are optimized for Firefox or Chrome. That'll probably be fixed, but until then, I'd suggest the OP just use Chrome for web browsing for the next few months until Microsoft or websites work out the bugs.

My pet peeve with Windows 10 is that Cortana keeps popping up every few minutes. I think it has something to do with multiple finger motions on the touchpad. I've turned everything off related to Cortana and touchpad per advice on TenForums, but it only seems to last a few days. Then, it starts occurring again. If I use the mouse, it doesn't happen. It's irritating, but I can live with it by using the mouse to scroll. 

I was browsing the web and read an article on Edge. Apparently, it has some problems rendering pages that are optimized for Firefox or Chrome. That'll probably be fixed, but until then, I'd suggest the OP just use Chrome for web browsing for the next few months until Microsoft or websites work out the bugs.

That makes no sense to me. Why would someone install an OS that’s biggest change is the web browser, hose it by installing a third party web browser, and then complain about the OS? Of course there will be web sites and programs that have issues with 10 or edge, but IMO waiting for those websites and programs to issues updates or install fixes for 10 would be the way to go.

....Of course there will be web sites and programs that have issues with 10 or edge, but IMO waiting for those websites and programs to issues updates or install fixes for 10 would be the way to go.

So if you can't post on a forum, do online banking, log into eBay, whatever,  you should just "wait" on the standards defying buggy software to be fixed rather than use a free alternative that, you know, works?

M$ has a long history of poor implementation and indeed outright flaunting of WWC standards in IE. Some of them were "cool" but proprietary, but some also ignored and choked on standard coding too, so some degree of this sort of thing can only be expected with Edge also I guess. M$ culture is in some ways akin to that of the ATF. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That makes no sense to me. Why would someone install an OS that’s biggest change is the web browser, hose it by installing a third party web browser, and then complain about the OS? Of course there will be web sites and programs that have issues with 10 or edge, but IMO waiting for those websites and programs to issues updates or install fixes for 10 would be the way to go.

How, exactly, is Edge better than Chrome?  

Chrome has apps that I like and I don't think a similar app exists yet for Edge.

Cite This For Me... a citation manager that captures a webpage address and organizes it in proper citation format.

A search bar that allows me to choose whether to search using Google, Bing, Amazon, YouTube, Ebay, or any other search engine I choose.

Awesome screenshot... a screen capture app that captures all or part of a web page, crops it, and allows me to annotate it.

I'm not saying Edge isn't any good, but is it demonstrably better than Chrome in any way? If so, I'm not aware of it.

Edited by jgradyc
  • 2 weeks later...

Edge has some cool features, but I have found that a lot of websites don't fully support it yet.  I have noticed an improvement over the days following its initial release.  That said, I typically use Firefox.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot