Concealed Carry Memphis Zoo

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, they now have to follow state law, but they have not yet modified their website.

From http://www.memphiszo...g/planyourvisit :

ZOO RULES

• Persons ages 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult age 21 or older.
  • The Zoo does not allow balloons, glass containers, alcohol, weapons, bicycles, rollerblades, skates or the popular roller shoes, Heelys, on its property. Coolers and children's wagons are welcome.
  • Appropriate dress for a family-friendly institution is required. Attire not permitted includes, but is not limited to, visible underwear and clothing that promotes or displays profanity, violence, drugs or alcohol or criminal activity.
  • Profane language, fighting, or any acts of violence are strictly prohibited.
  • To protect the health and safety of our animals and visitors, the Memphis Zoo is a smoke-free facility.
  • Pets are not allowed inside the Zoo. Please make arrangements to board your animal before visiting. NOTE: Special accommodations will be made for certified service animals. Please call 901.333.6500 or e-mail zooinfo@memphiszoo.org for more information.

Here's some recent email correspondence I had with them:

Oct. 28th

Thank you for your email.  We will take it into consideration.

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:22 PM
To: Memphis Zoo
Subject: Weapons Policy - Memphis Zoo

Dear Memphis Zoo Officials,

As you may know, Tennessee state law regarding firearms carry has recently changed. Local governments and officials may no longer prohibit the carrying of firearms by licensed persons in and on public property used for recreation, including buildings on such property.

You current weapons policy is therefore without the force of law. Should someone's rights under state law be violated while carrying a firearm on public property, they would have the right to sue all parties involved and recover damages and attorney fees.

In light of this, you may wish to revise your weapons policy to come into conformity with state law.

Best regards,

Phillip Evans

• Moderators
Phil, your location lists you as living "somewhere in GA". I am a resident of Memphis and a contributing member (two levels above basic membership) of the zoo. I am asking you to put your stick away and leave this bear alone. You don't stand to actually suffer any inconvenience if it turns into a pissing contest. I DO. Currently it is an unenforced and unenforceable policy with no signage. I'm ok with leaving the status quo as is. If a local decides to engage this issue I will discuss with them tactics and why I feel the way I do, but at least they have some real skin in the game. As it stands now, you don't. To be blunt, you are simply an interloper, and an unwelcome one at that. Please walk away from this issue and leave it to those of us that live here to handle our own. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 5

Phil, your location lists you as living "somewhere in GA". I am a resident of Memphis and a contributing member (two levels above basic membership) of the zoo. I am asking you to put your stick away and leave this bear alone. You don't stand to actually suffer any inconvenience if it turns into a pissing contest. I DO. Currently it is an unenforced and unenforceable policy with no signage. I'm ok with leaving the status quo as is. If a local decides to engage this issue I will discuss with them tactics and why I feel the way I do, but at least they have some real skin in the game. As it stands now, you don't. To be blunt, you are simply an interloper, and an unwelcome one at that. Please walk away from this issue and leave it to those of us that live here to handle our own.

Some people just have to :stir:

• Like 1

You are legal carrying at the zoo, so why contact the zoo and ask?  We are extremely lucky we got this park law passed in the middle of opposition from the more populated cities in the state.  I'd lay low for a while and conceal carry in places like the zoo.  Concealing means it is out of sight and out of mind.

• Like 3

Of course, they now have to follow state law, but they have not yet modified their website.

I wonder when someone is going to inform Bridgestone Arena and Nissan Stadium.

Phil, your location lists you as living "somewhere in GA". I am a resident of Memphis and a contributing member (two levels above basic membership) of the zoo. I am asking you to put your stick away and leave this bear alone. You don't stand to actually suffer any inconvenience if it turns into a pissing contest. I DO. Currently it is an unenforced and unenforceable policy with no signage. I'm ok with leaving the status quo as is. If a local decides to engage this issue I will discuss with them tactics and why I feel the way I do, but at least they have some real skin in the game. As it stands now, you don't. To be blunt, you are simply an interloper, and an unwelcome one at that. Please walk away from this issue and leave it to those of us that live here to handle our own.

You know, not everyone, even those with carry permits, are as up to date with state laws, etc. Sometimes it takes someone "interloping" to get the government to do the right thing. It certainly isn't known for doing it on its own.

You know, not everyone, even those with carry permits, are as up to date with state laws, etc. Sometimes it takes someone "interloping" to get the government to do the right thing. It certainly isn't known for doing it on its own.

It's certainly not known for doing the right thing either. :ugh:

Like others have said   " I am asking you to put your stick away and leave this bear alone." Now may not be the right time to be pushing this issue.  :shhh:

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Now is the only time we are guaranteed. It is ALWAYS the right time to fight for your freedoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are entitled to your opinion. What you and Phil are not entitled to is to stir up a shitstorm where others have to deal with the fallout because you don't live here. That's isn't "fighting for your freedoms", it's a masturbatory stroking of one's own ego. Like I said before, leave this for folks who live here to take care of their own. If we are content with the status quo where we live, who are you to make it your business to tell us we are wrong and go about fixing it for us? Mind the shit in your yard, I'll mind the shit in mine.
  • Like 3

You are entitled to your opinion. What you and Phil are not entitled to is to stir up a ####storm where others have to deal with the fallout because you don't live here. That's isn't "fighting for your freedoms", it's a masturbatory stroking of one's own ego. Like I said before, leave this for folks who live here to take care of their own. If we are content with the status quo where we live, who are you to make it your business to tell us we are wrong and go about fixing it for us? Mind the #### in your yard, I'll mind the #### in mine.

Pretty elitist view for a libertarian and anarchist who wants to cast off the oppression of authority. Hell, I'm surprised you even believe in state lines. ;)

Maybe he actually visits the zoo once in a while, which would give him a vested self interest in the issue, same as you. Actually,  if he's gone once, he's more vested than me. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

You are entitled to your opinion. What you and Phil are not entitled to is to stir up a ####storm where others have to deal with the fallout because you don't live here. That's isn't "fighting for your freedoms", it's a masturbatory stroking of one's own ego. Like I said before, leave this for folks who live here to take care of their own. If we are content with the status quo where we live, who are you to make it your business to tell us we are wrong and go about fixing it for us? Mind the #### in your yard, I'll mind the #### in mine.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where anyone have you the power to decide what they're entitled to.

• Moderators

Pretty elitist view for a libertarian and anarchist who wants to cast off the oppression of authority. Hell, I'm surprised you even believe in state lines. ;)

Maybe he actually visits the zoo once in a while, which would give him a vested self interest in the issue, same as you. Actually, if he's gone once, he's more vested than me. :)

- OS

Elitist? How so? Taking note of his location isn't a statement of support for arbitrary state borders. It's simply observing that he is located several hundred miles from Memphis and doesn't have any real skin in the game. Stirring the #### pot someplace you don't live and don't have to deal with the blowback of the fecal spray isn't being a freedom fighter. It's being an asshole. Work inside or outside the systems you have a stake in or choose to assist those that ask for your help. Don't take it upon yourself to take up a cause on someone else's behalf because you want to be the hero. What it all boils down to is pretty simple. You mind your business, I'll mind mine. I've carried (concealed) at the zoo for years without taking much note of the policy or the law. I made my decision knowing what the consequences of my choices could be and also knowing that if it went badly, I would be the one to deal with the fallout. I've said a few different way here, but it all comes around to the same thing. Don't take up causes or engage in actions where you don't bear the risks yourself. As it currently stands, the Memphis Zoo's banning of guns goes as far as a policy printed on their website and a generic "no weapons" bullet point on the rules sign near the entrance. There is no specific signage and no security screening to look for them. It simply isn't an issue and won't be until some douche canoe attention whore makes it one.

Someone brought up Kwik in relation to this stuff earlier and where I can at least give him a little credit is that (even though he is a total douche canoe and I hate his tactics) he bore the risks for his actions. That's more than I can say for folks writing letters from hundreds of miles away to places they won't likely visit and potentially making a mess for others to clean up.

If I seem to be taking this issue personally, I am. As I mentioned before I am a member at the Memphis Zoo and it is something my family and I are big supporters and lovers of. We are the ones who directly suffer from this sort of activity, so yes, it gets the blood boiling just a wee bit. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Moderators

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where anyone have you the power to decide what they're entitled to.

If you feel entitled to stir up a mess of trouble for someone else to deal with, I guess that tells me all I need to know.

You have to remember that the zoo policies you are seeing on the website are general policies that probably 90% of all non profits and also companies have.  So are you going to write every company in America about their book policies because they have a no weapons policy?  Remember that these policies generally do not make it illegal for you to carry with your handgun carry permit at say ABC store.

The handgun carry permit is meant to keep you from having a weapons charge in the odd chance that someone discovers that you are carrying and calls the police.  Also it is important to remember that not many people out of the total population legally carry handguns.  We are a small exception just like LEO's and armed guards.  I'm quite confident in carrying at the zoo or any other park in Memphis and would not expect any sort of major problems out of it IF I was discovered to be carrying because we are legal carrying in those locations.  The chance of being discovered is pretty low as long as I conceal and mind my own business.

• Like 4