Jeep guys, what do I check for

Spots

So I'm going to look at a couple of jeeps tomorrow. I've owned one jeep, a 76 Cherokee on 35's when I was in high school but that's the limit of my Jeep knowledge and they have changed a lot since the days of 401 AMC motors and quadratrac transfer cases. I'm fairly mechanical and have worked on lots of cars, I just need to know if there are specific things to look for. The two I am going to look at are a 2000 Sahara, 5 speed, 4.0 liter, small lift, bigger tires, 132k miles.

02F0E54C-DDD5-4D42-99F7-9C9055F927F4_3_z

The other is a 2003 X wrangler,,5 speed, 4.0 liter, small lift, 33" tires, 122k miles.

D37A45AE-FD66-4FCC-A8BB-62191E00273E_6_z

Anything specific to Jeeps I need to be on the lookout for mechanically? I'm looking to replace my completely worn out 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 so they will be used as daily drivers anytime I'm not on the motorcycle, and due to the nature of my job and the attendance policy, being able to travel to work in bad weather is a must. We were required to come in even in the worst of the ice storms in February, the plant never closed. So something capable and dependable are at the top of the list.

Sent from behind the anvil

• Like 1

Check for rust. Under the floor mats where water has leaked and could not drain properly. Check front steering for wander. I did not like the 4 cylinder engine in one wrangler I had. The 4.0 inline 6 is a good engine. I get about 17 to 19 mpg with my 04 wrangler 4.0 5 speed driving decent and sometimes I pull my 17 foot Lowe aluminum boat with it with no problems.

Looks like those have been detailed, but check for mud caked up under them; in the frame rails, over the gas tank, etc. you just don't want one that's been buried in mud. It will kill all the seals and bearings. I know they are jeeps and all that, but if you're looking for a daily driver, a mall crawler is what you want.

With bigger tires, I'd try to find one with a D44 rear axle. Look for signs of radiator and water pump leaks. I'm on my third radiator and 2nd water pump. The 4.0 motor is a beast. I've got a 2000 Sport myself.

I'll check the rear ends. Metal plug is D44 if I remeber right. I'll go over the cooling system closely

Looks like those have been detailed, but check for mud caked up under them; in the frame rails, over the gas tank, etc. you just don't want one that's been buried in mud. It will kill all the seals and bearings. I know they are jeeps and all that, but if you're looking for a daily driver, a mall crawler is what you want.

I try to do that any time I look at a 4x4. Detailer usually miss the stuff caked under it unless they are extremely detailed in their work. I used to see a 4x4 as a toy when I was in high school, but since I've gotten older a 4x4 has become a necessity for work in bad weather.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5254205157.html

If you didn't mind a little travel you may save a couple K.

I'm a Jeep guy, MJs and XJs though.

Just remember, it really is a 'Jeep thing', they all have there quirks and all require servicing.

Yeah jeeps seem to have a lot in common with motorcycles in that regard. They all have quirks. Traveling isn't really feasible due to my job schedule (6 12's, and Sunday more often than not) and I need to go through a dealer so I can trade my truck in for a down payment. I know some here won't buy a vehicle without paying cash, but my current situation doesn't allow me to get a vehicle without financing, and I would be better off trading the Dodge for what I can get and using it as a down payment rather than dealing with the hassle of selling it pvt party and using a cash down payment. We had a rough streak the last few years and I lost my good credit due to some mistakes on my part, so we are now in the rebuilding stage.

My first vehicle was a 1978 Jeep CJ5 with the 304.  Great fun vehicle, pretty much a tank as I recall.  Still would get stuck in the lake bottoms, not 100% all terrain as a 16 year old would think.  Reflecting, lots a fun, but not something I would want as a daily driver.

Just remember those rinky dink car lots, buy here pay here, etc., they make about 20-30% on the sale.  That's $2K to $3K in pure profit on a $10K vehicle.  Jeeps and Diesels are very hot, and move quickly, they know, and will price high and negotiate just a little to make you feel good.  I would highly recommend buying from an individual if buying used.

I have a 99 Jeep TJ with a soft top and 123K miles. I used it out in Arizona when I was with the Yavapai County Jeep Posse. I found the 4.0 liter straight six the best of all the jeep engines...it will last and last. Jeeps tend to leak a lot and I agree with all thats been said about front and rear main seals , rust, check the frame and skid plates, spend time underneath the chassis and just look for any issues signs of wear or anything recently replaced. Those both look like nice set ups but I like the looks of the red one IMHO. I use mine as a daily driver for many of the same reasons you are looking at. As others have said ...you can expect to be spending more on gas as these vehicles were designed for going off road. Mine has been all over the mountains of Northern Arizona in Yavapai County ..all 6000 square miles of it in very nasty terrain and at some very high elevations 7500ft +. Its personal preference. One cool thing is that here in TN most Jeep owners will wave to you when driving. I guess its a jeep thing.

IMG_1604_zpsiim5giw3.jpgIMG_1561_zpsxkeex94w.jpg

Edited by polecat

Well my first and only Jeep was a Willy's CJ2A which was completly stock and about as worn out as it could be. I loved it and if I had been in a position to do so would have rebuilt it and still have it. In the two Jeep's you've indicated both have small lifts, which while not as concerning as larger lifts is still a concern. Checking lubricants for water and metal fragments is one of my things on a high mileage vehicle. I'm certain you'll be replacing all of the seals and fluids as a routine preventative maintenance thing and are already budgeting for that. Overall I generally prefer a used Ford Explore to the Jeep's your looking at since most of my use of 4x4 capabilities has been during inclement weather.

I had a 97 TJ with 4 inch terra flex lift and 35x12.50.  I destroyed the Dana 35 rear end using reverse on a paved driveway.  You look at those things and they fall apart.  The 4.0 engine was a great motor though.  Once I had the rear end replaced with a Dana 44 and regeared to 4.88 it was a beast.  My transmission was getting a worn syncronizer on 3rd gear too.  I'd drive them good and make sure the tranny is shifting good and smooth.  

pic just for fun

Jeep.jpg

• Like 1
Ended up not getting either of them. The black one had a Dana 44, full bolt in cage, skids, rock sliders, etc. I couldn't get the finacing together one either one, so I guess it's back to square one

Ugh.... miss my Jeep. Poor decision making and no check from friends.... now I'm am Jeep'less

IMG_3149.jpg

To answer your question. They're pretty hard to kill actually. Look for big dents in the underside, bent things, take a few minutes and look at any fluids you can. If it's got carpet, look behind it to see if there's signs of being completely under water. There's other stuff that isn't that bad... but you can check to see if the hubs are gone, ball joints, etc....

• Like 1

Have the lift checked out for worn bushings .... also have the drive shaft checked where all of the ujoints are installed.  make sure that is all lined up correctly as well,....if not you will spend a ton of time replacing ujoints... cheap but a pain in the butt  also check the ball joints

Edited by Krull
I have had several Wranglers. With the TJ's there isn't too much to worry with except for severe frame rust. I have seen beautiful Wranglers without much of a frame left. The 4.0 is a pretty good engine, and the 2.5 isn't bad but it is a slug. I would stay away from the later model 2.4 liter engine. I would probably pass on the 02 and later 4spd auto, but that is subjective. The 3spd auto used up until 02 is a great transmission. All of the manual transmissions are decent. If you can find and afford a Rubicon buy it! I don't know why they ever put the 3.07 gears under the 4.0's. The 3.73 gears were an option, but pretty much a must in my opinion.

I can't stress enough about checking for frame rust.

Ended up not getting either of them. The black one had a Dana 44, full bolt in cage, skids, rock sliders, etc. I couldn't get the finacing together one either one, so I guess it's back to square one

Well I hope you find the right vehicle with the right financing package. Does your workplace offer a credit union, if so they can sometimes be very helpful. Otherwise as you already know the desired good credit is restorable with just a bit of time and patience.  

Well I hope you find the right vehicle with the right financing package. Does your workplace offer a credit union, if so they can sometimes be very helpful. Otherwise as you already know the desired good credit is restorable with just a bit of time and patience.

I'm gonna sit back and wait. My credit is rebuilding, I finally have a good job with good income, and am up to date on everything so now it's just a waiting game. Which let's me build a bigger down payment while I wait.

I'm gonna sit back and wait. My credit is rebuilding, I finally have a good job with good income, and am up to date on everything so now it's just a waiting game. Which let's me build a bigger down payment while I wait.

This is my wife's XJ, looks a little better now with wheels and painted trims, this pic was of the day we got it home. 

Paid $1000 for it, other than a failing NSS it was perfect. 

Patience. 

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/JeepMurphy/media/stuff/DSCN0226.jpg.html]DSCN0226.jpg[/URL]

I've had a CJ 5, had a bunch of friends with TJs and YJs, had an XJ, and a ZJ.  The CJ5 was fun, I believe it was a '72 model, had the 304 motor, however, if I had to pic a Jeep to use as a daily driver, I would get another ZJ or XJ.  My XJ was a 2 door with the 4.0 and automatic.  I eventually lifted it enough to put it on 35s with stock gears, motor, and tranny, and I could still brake hold it an spin the rear tires on pavement.  The ZJ had the 318, auto, and all wheel drive.  For a vehicle to drive daily and in inclement weather, you can't beat it.  Those jeeps have plenty of power, ride great, get decent fuel mileage, and the all wheel drive makes them great on slick roads.  Both XJs and ZJs can be found much cheaper than the TJs.  Perhaps you might want to consider them. 

I like the way you think! Good Man.