Anyone deal with Grayson BMW in Knoxville?

Hozzie

I bought a CPO 325i from them a few years ago. Car had some issues when I got it home. It had to go back, and I was without it for a week while it was in the shop. I was pretty irritated at the time, but it was fixed. I've had other experiences there that were good, so I'm neutral I guess. This was probably 6 years ago, so it's not exactly current info. They were about like any other dealer. Their used prices seem to be on the high side to me. The service dept is priced like any other BMW service ($$$$). Nice folks, though. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there again IF I found the right deal, but do your homework on that.
Thanks. I have been looking for a few months and have a pretty good idea what the things are going for. I brought a 328i sulev home tonight to check out a little closer, but don't get the warm and fuzzies about the sulev (super low emissions) after reading up on them. I am also still debating between a 3 and 5 series. Really only need a 3, but man are the 5's nice.

Yeah don't buy from Grayson.  I have had really, really bad experiences with them.

Service sucks, people suck or don't care, and they lie.  If you want more details shoot me a PM and I'll go into it.  Basically I refuse to go anywhere near them and will continue to do so.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
Was it service related? Or did they try to hide something? I will taking whatever I buy to BMW of Nashville for service. I suppose I could have some issue right away where I would want to take it back, but in reality, it's just about a specific car they have.

Thanks. That certainly changes things. Edited by Hozzie

Well both actually.  If you're taking it elsewhere for service I would say you're good but I didn't have a great experience buying from them in the first place.  They have pretty recently fired most if not all of their service people and before that fired the GM and some other as well I believe.

I will never step foot in Grayson BMW again.  I've owned BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, etc, but if I had a choice of a BMW from Grayson or a Ford Pinto already on fire, I would drive the Pinto.

My BMW was a lemon, so I will not fault Grayson for that.  3 years ago I decided to get rid of my Audi and wanted a M3.  Well I went into Grayson, told them exactly what I wanted, they had one on the lot that was close but not exactly what I wanted.  The sales guy kept trying to get to to buy it, but I was more interested in ordering a new one to my spec.  After telling him for the 4th or 5th time that I did not want the one they had, he literally threw the paperwork across the desk and asked why I wasted his time if I was not interested in the car.  I did not say a word, just start to walk out.  The salesman steps in front of me before I get to the door telling me to go back to the office and we could get the order started.  Well I now have a Stillen supercharged FX35 and Grayson can burn for all I care.

My weird way take:

Regardless of retailer, retailers by nature do not manufacture anything.  So any issue / defect / warranty claim on the item being purchased is not a reflection of the retailer.  However, the tact of the deal making, the actual deal itself and the service after the sale are measurable KPI (key performance indicators) of the retailer.  One might argue what about the inventory selection.  If patience is on your side, this should not be a deciding factor, but if impatience is present, then all leverage of the deal is passed to the seller and you are at their full mercy of treatment and deal making. 

In my weird way of analyzing, this value add by the dealer except for the actual deal, is worth about 2 cents too me, its all about the product being purchased and the actual deal that is 99.9% important.  The treatment during and after the sale are just smoke & mirrors and are based upon people, not the name of the business they wear on their shirt.  The decision on what to buy is the easy part, its always which retailer is worthy of my money. 

So of all of the BMW dealers within an acceptable driving distance, this dealer in Knoxville is the best???  Me personally, I would check out Atlanta, Louisville, Lexington, etc. assuming you are not happy with Nashville and other closer to home dealers.  But if its the inventory thingy and you have no patience, just doll out the cash and smile regardless of the feedback from others as you go through the purchase process. 

Edited by Runco

Runco,  I agree with you on almost all of that.  

In the past, I typically have been the type that decides I want a new car, goes to the dealer and picks one out, and I am done all within a day.  I liked new cars so I leased some as I traded every few years, but my last purchase was my current truck which is paid for and I am keeping just because I like to have a truck available.  I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted a second car and I also decided I was going to drive a lot of cars to see what I like best.  I basically limited my selection to luxury sedans, but I have probably test drove 25 cars over the last 4 months narrowing down not only make, but model.  

For me, the sales person(s) I have dealt with at BMW of Nashville have been awesome.  We just haven't been able to find that "one".  Part of it is I am really set on only a couple of colors and package options.  It could be a 5 series or a 3 series, it will just hit me when I see it.  Grayson had a 3 series that ticked most of the boxes for what appears to be a fair price, hence the reason for my question.  I just also know that sometimes things can go wrong and if I was forced to go back and deal with the dealer, I was curious what kind of responses people may have had in the past.  That part doesn't sound good.

Edited by Hozzie